rainy season

  • jgray1950
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 21, 2010
      During rainy season does it rain all day. What is the weatheer pattern like then.

      I want to make my initial visit. Should I wait till August now in light of the rainy season
    • Tray
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 21, 2010
        August IS the rainy season, so is september, october, and november, and sometimes part of december.

        > I want to make my initial visit. Should I wait till August now in light of the rainy season

      • Blue Texas
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 21, 2010
          It rains in the afternoon mostly...if you want to wait...I suggest waiting til December! :-)

          Just bring an umbrella or two, you'll be fine.

        • stanhopi
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 21, 2010
            --- "jgray1950" <jgray1950@...> wrote:

            > During rainy season does it rain all day.
            > What is the weatheer pattern like then.
            > I want to make my initial visit. Should I
            > wait till August now in light of the rainy season

            Hi John,

            In the rainy season it is usually clear in the mornings and
            sometime in the afternoon the showers begin. It rains for
            an hour or som and then quits. Then the evening is cool
            and the next moring is, pleasant and cool, too.

            So unless there is a temporal when it can rain for several days,
            sometimes into the wee hours of the morning, what is described
            above above is the usual rainy pattern.

            But don't worry, temporales don't usually show up one on the
            heels of the next.

            Anyway, if you intend to live here you shoud be aware
            of what you're getting into with the rainy season. You'll
            have to face it soon enough if you are going to live here.
            Why not experience it sooner, rather than later?

            Just FWIW...

            Cheers!

            Paul M.
            ==
          • nosliwmas
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 22, 2010
              JGray wrote:
              > Should I wait till August now in light of the rainy season

              Heck, I like the rainy season (invierno/Winter/May thru mid-Nov)
              more than the dry season (verano/Summer/mid-Nov thru Apr). Funny
              thing is that the tourist season coincides with what I consider
              not my favorite time of year in Costa Rica. Of course most tourists
              are not coming to Costa Rica because of how things are in Costa
              Rica as much as how things are where they are coming from (BRRRR!)
              I live in Guanacaste, probably the driest part of Costa Rica. Up
              here (even in my green valley in the mountains) the rainy season
              represents trading dust for mud, hot for cool, brown for green,
              having to water your garden for watching it flourish on its own,
              and skinny hungry calves for fat and sassy calves. I like walking
              in the jungle when the ground is damp and the leaves are dripping.
              All the creeks are running full and the waterfalls are in full
              glory. It rarely rains as hard as a Texas thunder-storm and the
              air is lush all the time. Most of the folks around me (including
              me) walk and play in the rain because it feels good and really,
              what's so bad about being a little wet? It is cool and refreshing
              and things dry fast enough. Whenever I happen to be in a rain-storm
              in the States I always chuckle at how folks quickly scurry inside to
              avoid getting wet -- they don't know what they are missing out on...

              In the wise words of los alacránes famosos:

              Yo estoy enamorado de la luz del sol
              Yo estoy enamorado de la lluvia que cae

              Unless you're made of sugar or salt, come on down! We'll keep a
              light on for ya...

              --
              (Slippery when wet!) Sam
            • jdocop
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 22, 2010
                And, lest we forget. We're talking about weather patterns here. And, there is nothing (not even the changing moods of my wife) more unpredictable than weather.

                When we get one day of sunshine where I live (no matter what time of year), the Ticos all refer to that one day as verano, and likewise, if we have one day of rain, that one day was invierno.

                A weather/climate related bit of trivia for you all: Did you know that the old Indian name, Tilaran, means "place of wind and rain"?
              • Silvana Vucic
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 22, 2010
                  In San Vito . . . the mornings are glorious!
                  The rain falls around 1 pm and then the sun returns. Perfect weather and the flowers love it too :-) The nights are  alittle cooler, just right for a light blanket and comfortable cotton pj's :-))

                  Much nicer than verano I believe.

                  Pura Vita as can be!

                  Silvana

                  And, lest we forget. We're talking about weather patterns here.

                • henry kantrowitz
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 22, 2010
                    the rainy season varies depending where you live.  in the south pacific it can be as long as nine months of the year, or in parts of guanacaste only five months.   someone said it never rains as hard as a texas storm.  well we have received 7 inches of rain if 24 hours, on several occasions.  that is pretty hard.  one october in jaco it got 38 inches of rain for the first week of october.  when i lived in the golfo dulce we averaged 21 ft. of rain a year.  the caribbean coast tends to get more of its rain at night.  limon averages about the same amount of rain as the central valley.  in the pacific central and northern lowlands most people welcome the rainy season.  the temps are cooler and everything is more green.
                    if i can adjust to the rains here, i think most can.  i came from southern calif., 20 years ago, where we got less than an average of 13 inches of rain a year and i am still here.
                    as someone mentioned you won't melt.  also mentioned, it seldom rains all day.  more often in the afternoon.  on occasion it rains in the morning and the afternoon can be lovely.
                    september, october and sometimes part of november are the rainiest in the central valley and pacific coast.  the rest is a piece of cake.
                    just give it a try and see what you think.
                    henry

                  • Blue Texas
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 22, 2010
                      Quote ''someone said it never rains as hard as a texas storm. well we have
                      received 7 inches of rain if 24 hours, on several occasions. that is
                      pretty hard.''

                      Having lived in Texas all my life...these storms are nothing. :-)

                    • David Fogg
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 23, 2010
                        We lived in Houston about 30 years ago, and we once went into a restaurant for lunch under blue, cloudless skies; when we left the restaurant about an hour later, the water was above the hubcaps of our VW camper.

                        We've NEVER seen rain as intense as that here in CR!

                        David
                      • bill_0123
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 23, 2010
                          > We lived in Houston about 30 years ago

                          Wish I had $10 for every time I experienced that kind of storm during the 14 years I lived in Corpus Christi / Houston...
                        • debk
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 23, 2010
                            --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, David Fogg <dmfogg@...> wrote:

                            > We lived in Houston

                            Everyone knows that Texas does it bigger and badder than anywhere on earth...and can take 32 Costa Ricas to fill her up cowboy!
                          • CoclesSpirit@...
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 2, 2014
                              What happened to our rainy season?? Santa Ana it's hardly rained,
                              lately not enough to get the ground wet

                            • sdmcglinn
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 2, 2014
                                Ever Heard of El Niño?

                              • John French
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 3, 2014
                                  What's happened to the rainy season depends on whether you are a
                                  Democrat or a Republican. :-)

                                  John French
                                • steveandpaulacr
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 3, 2014
                                    We’re having a very strong El Niño this year. Hopefully it will rain some soon.

                                    Paula
                                  • magedelimage
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 3, 2014
                                      Well, my landlord told me last month that it was because of her sister «La Niña», and that it will be hot and dry until August 15th... (hot air coming from the Pacific of course)
                                    • alajuelanorth
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 3, 2014
                                        Move to Arenal, they have our rain grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
                                        Watering the Orchids in July, Berni

                                      • Robert Balch
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 3, 2014
                                          Yes, up here in Arenal we are building an ark. Been pouring all night and
                                          still going. It has been at least four weeks with rain every day, but not
                                          this hard for this long.

                                          Rob

                                        • Robert Balch
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 3, 2014
                                            Considering this is normally October to January weather, I say it is
                                            climate change.....:)

                                          • emccann4
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 3, 2014
                                              Hey, I am sitting in the house we've rented for the week in Grecia...and it is pouring so hard, we can't talk to each other without shouting. The intense rain has followed us from Tortuguero to Arenal, Monteverde, Quepos and now here. It looks like we are back in the cloud forest. I know it is the green season, but we heard it was mostly afternoon showers! Only one week left to See CR before heading back to the states.
                                              Lainie

                                              Sent from my iPad
                                            • Jim Cottone
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 3, 2014
                                                I would just like to thank you for bringing the rain to our neighborhood. This has been the driest Rainy season in few years, and most of my Tico friends wish it would return to normal, as do I.

                                                Jim -- Jim Cottone Professional PC Repairs https://singbiker.net
                                              • costacoffee2
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 4, 2014
                                                  Take it up with Mother Nature...and expect more of the same!

                                                • henry
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 5, 2014
                                                    question posted <<What happened to our rainy season??>>

                                                    answer posted <<Ever heard of El Nino?>>

                                                    actually el nino hasn't happened yet and was predicted later in the year.  this low rainfall pattern and so many other weather changes over the years in costa rica are more likely from climate change (global warming) then most anything else.  the same can be said for so many other parts of the world experiencing major climate changes.

                                                    www. carbonbrief.org
                                                    Last month, weather forecasters were predicting with 90 percent certainty we'd see an El Niño by the end of the year, driving severe weather patterns worldwide. But with little sign so far of the ocean and atmospheric changes scientists expected, those odds have dropped off quite a bit.
                                                    We'll probably still see an El Niño before the year's out but it's unlikely to be a strong one, scientists are saying.

                                                    many other scientific climate reports have the same predictions as the one above.
                                                    henry