Ornamental Coffee culture . . .

  • stanhopi
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2002
      Hello Janet (and maybe Roy, too),

      I recently purchased a couple of 3" pots of Caffea arabica as an
      ornamental from our local Home Depot here. I have moved both of them
      up to 6" pots and they seem happy and are growing moderately well.

      Each of the 3" pots contained approximately 3 seedlings (I don't
      think these are tissue cultured) and a fourth popped up in one pot the
      other day because I can see the seed coat, and the seed leaves have
      just expanded.

      A botanist here I know commented that coffee makes a better pot plant
      for indoors than Ficus benjamina as Caffea doesn't throw off all its
      leaves if it gets too wet -or too dry... or too hot, etc. He also
      remarked that Caffea's main drawback would be its high sensitivity to
      cold. (I'm thinking that they would be fine indoors during our six
      weeks of potential cold in Florida.)

      I guess my questions then are these:

      1] How soon should they be moved up again? They are all about 7" tall
      right now...

      2] In pot culture what will be best to feed them? How about a timed
      release fertilizer like NutriKote with minors? What formula?

      3] Starting at what temperature F. should they be protected from the
      cold?

      4] As an ornamental in pots, should I separate them and place only
      one plant per pot, or do they prefer (or maybe dislike) company?

      5] How much -or little- light should they receive for best results?
      Can they be used for an extended period indoors without much adverse
      effect upon them?

      6] Will they tend to be reluctant to bloom and set fruit under pot
      cultivation (or indoors)?

      7] What would you suggest the watering requirements would be under
      pot culture? Are they very sensitive to the salts in 'city' water?

      8] How large (and how soon) will the plants get, and how large a pot
      should be provided based upon their height? Will keeping them in
      smaller pots keep the plants small without any deleterious effects?

      9] Will I be able to easily determine what cultivar (or hybrid) I
      have as the plants get larger? There was no indication on the label
      other than 'Caffea arabica'.

      10] Would these plants be poisonous in any way to housepets, i.e.,
      dogs or cats?

      That's enough QQ for now, but I have not seen this asked here before.

      ¡Pura Caffea!

      Paul
      [who couldn't think of anything else productive to ask tonight!]
      ==