sabana cementerio bus - ruta 2 - reduced?

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
      does anyone have the explanation for what happened?

      Tuesday night, about 7:30, we stood at one of the sabana cementerio ruta 2 bus stops, and the bus driver indicated that he wouldn't pick us up at that stop - he opened his door and told us something (sigh, didn't know enough of the Spanish words to piece it together), and indicated that we could stay there (apparently for another bus). BTW, his bus was not full *or* completely empty. So, we waited for the next one - same thing, except no words, just gestures. We were able to catch the ruta 1 bus from another spot, no problem.

      So, it isn't the entire company - thinking maybe that ruta 2 doesn't run as late - anyone know?

      thanks,
      Julie
    • O.L.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
        More than a year ago the Sab-Cem route was reorganized, rerouted and some of the old stops, altho complete with "urban mobilaria" giving the impression that it IS a stop, have been suppressed. One is the shelter at the Cementary Obrero. I have tried to at least get it marked "Bus does NOT stop here" but the commercial powers of IRC did not permit it. The bus will ONLY stop if the prospective passenger is female, young and attractive in disregard of the new signs in the buses that say that the driver is ONLY allowed to stop at authorized bus stops and to please not insist... unless you are female, young and attractive...

        As an aside, that route had signs up last night saying that the Thursday and Friday service will be every 30 minutes (not counting breaks and lunch hours) and resume regular scheduling (every 4 minutes, they advertize!!!) on Saturday and Sunday.

        Ali
      • Bruce Gowens
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
          Welcome to Costa Rica.  Both buses were most likely going off duty--the drivers will often stop picking up passengers when that is due.  You did not mention what stop it was--and that might have had an influence.

        • Julie
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
            Thanks Bruce -

            The stop was near Paseo Colon, one stop before the National Gymnasium in La Sabana park.

            Recently (earlier in the day), we got on there, and when we got to the N-Gym, they switched buses (and drivers) - we all toddled off and over to the new bus, got on (a guy counted us, we didn't pay again), and away we went.

            So, right now, my best guess is that at night this route either reduces its hours (and thus drivers), or completely stops running. My reasoning is admittedly a little thin; it could just be coincidence that two drivers in a row did this.

            Fortunately, the alternative was easy (walked back to PC for route 1). Love it that there is always an alternative! :-)

            As a note, it has (and still is) taken some time to figure out the intricacies of my local bus. The Barrio Escalante bus (it has a website! http://www.transguilial.com/terminal.htm) runs every 8-10 minutes during the week, from about 6 am to 7 (tried to catch that one back to UCR, but only caught the breeze of its passing). On Sunday, it runs only every 1/2 hr. Saturday schedule may be the same as weekdays or Sundays (don't know yet).