Question about full-body x-ray scans to be instituted at airports

  • stanhopi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      Gentle CRLers,

      Hoping this doesn't open some can of worms or other but . . .

      I've Googled around on the Internet and cannot find any real information
      about problems of potential cumulative radiation overdoses for those
      of us who fly frequently to Costa Rica and elsewhere and thus will be
      subjected to full-body scans at the airports.

      How likely will it be that one's health could be compromised in the
      long run for those of us who fly often and therefore would receive
      more scans? What about considertion in the case of cancer patients
      who have recently received radiation treatments. I'm sure they won't
      want to be exposed to further radiation at that point if they need to fly.

      I was surprised when searching the Net that there is essentially nothing
      there about what how much radiation we can expect to be exposed to
      and its potential effect on travlers after repeated scans.

      Are there any CRLers with a background in radiology who can comment
      or point the us towards some informed online articles or discussions
      about this?

      There is a lot of info on the Net about CT full-body scans and potential
      medical radiation overdoses, but nothing specific to the intended airport
      scans.

      I don't want to sound alarmist but I would like tobe able to have a sense
      of whether being forced to be scanned every time we fly (I fly 2 to 3 times
      a year, roundtrip) offers a significantl overexposure danger for us, the
      traveling public.

      Paul M.
      ==
    • bound4cr
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
        Happy New Year Paul:

        Below is a good piece from the BBC that will help. From what I understand is that the device uses RF (radio frequency) and not ionizing radiation as in gamma rays or x-rays so other than having your body shown to a TSA twit who used to be a Walmart greeter no ionizing radiation.
        HTH.

        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8436611.stm
      • Oscar
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
          Here is another article that mentions that the exposure is comparable to that of talking on a cell phone:

          http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=95416