Retevi

  • craig
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 16, 2009
      Can someone give me understandable directions to get my car to retevi (sp) please? I am in Rohmoser. Since i am asking for advice....are there better towns to go to that won't be as crowded as the Escazu area? This is my first trip to the rodeo so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    • escazunews
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 16, 2009
        the best one is the one in Alajuelita you take the radial from rohmoser to hatillos take the exit after the one of escazu that will take you to alajuelita at the end trafic light .. turn left and you will be in Riteve

        to make an appointment go to http://www.rtv.co.cr/cita.asp or call
        905 788 00 00

        they have plenty of space

        regards Daniel
      • abroadincostarica
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 17, 2009
          My advice is to find a mechanic who will do it for you. We've paid anywhere from "included" to 5,000 colones to 30,000 (when we first got here), depending on other work done by said mechanic.
        • marcus collier
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
            I took my car for inspection in the AM but was told
            the oil level in the motor was too high.

            I had some oil removed and returned.
            The car did not pass the emissions test.
            I had a new catalytic converter installed last March.

            Life in Paradise.
            Marcus

          • John Dungan
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 21, 2011
              And, for those of us who took the advice of others who came before us, consider this: we take our car to a mechanic who cannot even measure the emissions, in order to pass Riteve's Emissions test? How crazy is that? But, too much oil; wow, that's reaching, isn't it?
              John, ramping up to go the our Riteve in February, from El Aguacate, Guanacaste
              Personal Blog: http://arenalgrumbles.blogspot.com/
            • Fred Morgan
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 21, 2011
                For those preparing an older car getting ready for Riteve, there are
                places, like Cuidad Quesada, which can test for this in the shop and
                adjust your system. More of an issue with carburetors.

                Also, it is possible to get a letter from a lawyer explaining your
                vehicle is used primarily on a finca (if true) and is too old to pass.
                The people at Riteve know about this.

                In fact, many things can be waved, but it requires a lawyer to certify
                that you need it. (like for example, changing motors, the number no
                longer is the same)
              • Fred Morgan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 21, 2011
                  Regarding the oil being too high. If the oil is way too high, it will
                  affect your emissions, perhaps they were saying suggesting if you had
                  less oil, you might pass. If you have an oil burner, increasing the
                  weight of the oil might help enough to get through.
                • Steven
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 21, 2011
                    I have learned the hard way to always have an appointment at the very beginning of the month. This way, if it doesn't pass, you have time to have it fixed and make a 2nd appointment before the month runs out.

                    Last March I had my car inspected in the middle of the month. It failed for emissions. The earliest retest appointment they could give me was early in April. I had a new catalytic converter installed. I was stopped on the highway one day before my reappointment. The cop said my Riteve had expired. I showed him (1) the paperwork from my first appointment, (2) the receipt from my mechanic for the new catalytic converter, and (3) the slip of paper from Riteve showing that I had an appointment for the very next day. He congratulated me for being so on the ball. Then he said, "There is one little problem." "What's that?" I answered. He turned the Riteve report over and in teeny tiny print at the bottom, it said, "If this vehicle fails to pass the Riteve inspection, it may not circulate on public highways."

                    So, if you follow the letter of the law, if your car fails inspection, you'd have to either abandon it at Riteve or have it towed to a mechanic, and then could not drive it until your next appointment, and then have it towed back to Riteve.

                    The officer said that since it was for emissions, not something serious like breaks or worn tires, he'd let me go. But still, it ticked me off.
                    --Steve, driving defensively in S. Rafael de Heredia
                  • Frank Brennan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 22, 2011
                      Regarding the oil being too high. If the oil is way too high, it will
                      affect your emissions, perhaps

                      Also, your oil level will increase if you have a blown head gasket and coolant water is leaking into oil. When you check oil level you may not see water, but since oil and water don't mix, the water will be "under" the oil causing level to rise
                       Blown head gaskets can also cause a coolant leak into combustion chamber  which will cool combustion causing an incomplete burn resulting in "rich" exhaust which won't pass emissions test.
                       I have seen a few Ticos remove the thermostat from cars cooling system to promote "cool operation." This is enough to make your car fail emissions test as combustion temps are too low for a complete burn.
                       My Tico neighbor knows the Riteve procedures quite well and he has taken peoples cars for testing after looking for and repairing any obvious faults which would not pass test.
                        It isn't economically sound to check "everything" before Riteve testing. My car has failed (barely) on front end alignment twice but passed another time.

                    • bob baker

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 31, 2011
                          I've seen several recent posts about starting early in the month to get a
                          Riteve inspection, just in case you need time to get repairs done. You can
                          do better than that. You can do the inspection the month before expiration,
                          giving yourself up to two months to take care of any problems. And doing it
                          the month before will not cause your renewal to expire any sooner than if
                          you had done it the day before expiration and passed.

                          Grady

                        • marcus collier
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 1 8:21 AM
                            I did not know it was possible to get my car
                            inspected in December vice January.
                            This is good to know.
                            Thanks for the info. Next year I will start in Dec.
                            Marcus