83696Re: [CostaRicaLiving] Re: caribbean recovery

  • Wendy Strebe
    Dec 1, 2008
      Not to begin an argument, but I have lived here for 6 years and the flooding that is reported is always in Sixaola, Bribri, Valle Estrella, Siquirres, Matina and Puerto Viejo de Sirapiqui.

      The old timers here have never seen the amount of water we had last week, but Puerto Viejo de Talamanca was not flooded. We did have a bridge break, but the town itself was fine. I was here. I walked around, drove around, saw for myself. I was also here in 2005, 2004, 2003, etc. We were "cut off" for 2 days, which happened in early 2004 and does happen every few years due to bridges flooding in other areas, and mudslides on the mountain pass.

      The ocean can get high and there are big puddles and a few low lying older structures that had a few inches of water in them. But the flooding was up in the upper Talamanca, Sixaola - an hour by car, etc.

      We are all very frustrated by misinformation here. It happens repeatedly. Just because the newspapers say it is so does not make it reality. I myself have written to newspapers to correct their reports.