46984Re: Move into new life

  • barrystevens2001
    Sep 1, 2006
      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <fmorgan@...> wrote:

      > Well said Sharon,
      >
      > Anyone who wishes to think that work in the campo is superior to that
      > of technology - I will buy you a machete and let you chop grass.
      >
      > I bet you quit after the first fer-de-lance. ;-)

      Being a "technology guy" myself, I, too, am stuck on technology,
      beginning with days at IBM.

      I, too see, and use, the benefits of technology daily, and find no
      substitute for it.

      And, when there's grass to be chopped, I hire some people pretty
      skilled with a machete, who have been introduced to several other kind
      of gardening tools. One of these guys is in the process of forming a
      property care business... self-sufficiency comes in many forma.

      Sharif Abdullah's argument is, put it all together and it's gonna come
      apart, and very soon.

      And, in our place, terciopelo # 15 showed up two nights ago. The cat
      was fussing in the living room, making quite a racket. 2 AM. Strange
      time. I went into the living room, and the car was playing "snake
      pong" with a small F-D-L.

      #14 fell into the shower from a shelf, having come inside when we were
      having a broken pipe fixed.

      Gotta love 'em.

      At any event, we're not trying to romanticize the indigenous culture.
      However, were telling these folks, and university people, and
      foundations, and corporate funding sources that we'd like to combine
      the strengths of what they have with the strengths of what we have and
      see what comes out.

      So far, so good.

      And, if it becomes evident that we have made a mistake or two on the
      march to technology, it sure wouldn't hurt to admit it.

      Barry
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic