46963Re: Move into new life

  • barrystevens2001
    Sep 1, 2006
      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "fraluchi" <fraluchi@...>
      wrote:

      > We are fed up with ... mood ...
      > This country makes the decision to leave easy.
      > We don't care to where we go, as long as we leave from here.

      After watching and learning more about how an indigenous culture
      operates - one thing is clear - their culture has been sustainable
      for thousands of years. Then, "we" inposed a new set of "rules"
      for "civilization". "Live our way". Control borders. Limit the land
      available to nomadic people. Animals in trouble, water supplies in
      trouble, human food sources in trouble. Tribes in trouble.

      New systems needed - water, sewage, agriculture, and more. The more
      that's in place, the more rules are needed.

      Then we constructed the city. Then, in a stroke of genius, we built
      the elevator. We put skyscrapers in the city. Too many people. Too
      many demands on systems. Too many cars. Air quality turns to... And
      oh my, where DO you put all that sewage? Food supplies dwindle...
      agricultural production and distribution are beefed up (pardon the
      pun) More population. Segments going with food and other basic
      services. More rules, this time on really specific things.

      Now, for the first time in human history, it's possible to take a
      boat ride from the Atlantic to the Pacific - through that
      famous "Northwest Passage" - we apparently have succeeded in melting
      the polar ice cap, which one of our visitors at The Bridge pointed
      out seems to be proceeding at a rapid pace.

      How do we prevent this? General alarm. Gasoline shortages,
      restrictions on use, electric cars, hybrid cars, super-efficient
      cars - emissions control... rules, rules, rules.

      Question: In any civilized society, what does a RULER do?
      Answer: Makes.... "rules". The previous poster wrote of a general
      mood, something like ... "too many rules - bad mood - gotta get out
      of here."

      My response is, you ain't seen nothin' yet. The last population
      doubling ended in 1995, with a global population of 6 billion
      people. The next population doubling - to 12 billion - was expected
      to occur in only 12 years after that. More food shortages, civle
      unrest - we're already seeing the tip of the iceberg.

      Costa Rica is a country without "too many rules." It has a lot of
      virtually unspoiled areas, which is a good thing, since those areas
      have an important product, which they provide for free - oxygen. And
      there's room to grow. Perhaps in this and many other less densely
      populated areas there are places we can move to while "civilization"
      figures itself out.

      Nanci and I wanted to learn how much of this global situation was
      known to the indigenous people here. We had a long discussion with
      Timateo Jackson, a tribal political and spiritual leader inside the
      Indigenous Reserve. He finished his answer by singing a chant in the
      Bribri language... with his son Cesar translating into Spanish. The
      last line of the chant translates this way:

      "...and the white man will come to us for help."

      In the meantime, the locals are noticing that the ocean is rising
      higher and higher in winter storms - last year, reaching the road
      for the first time in their memory. Ten, twenty more feet of ocean
      level, and the winter storms will reach the place we're buying.
      We'll have shorefront property.

      There are those, myself included, who believe that we as a race of
      beings are meant to be here and enjoy this planet to the fullest.
      That the resources of this planet are to be guarded and cared for,
      and used in such a way that we can create, enjoy, and share a
      paradise right here on Earth. And, to understate the situation, as a
      civilization, we might have gotten off on the wrong foot.

      Indeed, Sharif Abdullah, author of "Creating A World That Works For
      Everyone" describes what we've created very simply - he calls
      it "The Mess." His answer to "The Mess", by the way, is to live a
      lifestyle that is very much like an indigenous lifestyle...

      What to do?

      You can see one answer by coming to Costa Rica and visiting Punta
      Mona - Monkey Point. Sustainable living - implemented. Nanci and I
      plan to hike in to Monkey Point soon. I'm told there are no tall
      buildings there. I'd have to see that for myself to believe it.

      There are many other enlightened groups working on "The Mess." They
      term their area "sustainable development." Seek them out. Find out
      what they have learned.

      The more skeptical can follow the advice once given by Bribri
      shamans to their people... "Move to higher ground." The context was
      different, but the reason was the same - too much water.

      It all comes down to individuals. What can WE - Nanci and I - do,
      from our home in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica? Feed people.
      Send them to school. Help them become self-sufficient. Help with
      their medical needs. And when the opportunity presents itself,
      learn. Help bring out indigenous knowledge that can help the world
      today. Help bring ideas and tools from our culture that can help the
      indigenous. And finally, hope we can inspire others to do these same
      kinds of things in many, many other areas.

      Barry Stevens
      Co-Founder, El Puente - The Bridge
      The Bridge provides educational assistance, food assistance, and
      microloans mainly to indigenous people in the southeastern part of
      Costa Rica. Our goal is to help people help themselves to self-
      sufficiency.
      See us at http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic