34566Re: Catnip as alternative to DEET

  • barrystevens2001
    Aug 31 4:24 AM
      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <mtnstar@o...> wrote:
      > preventing mosquito bites...West Nile disease, catnip
      > [more effective than] than DEET.

      West Nile almost never heard of here, but several other nasties are.

      We have a dropout pharmacist here who is working on catnip, among
      other things. We brought him quite a supply of seeds on our last trip
      back from the US. He's having a devil of a time getting it to grow in
      the particular microclimate here (tropical rainforest). He's trying
      other parts of the country.

      Like many others, I'm a DEET addict. However, I'll go cold turkey when
      the catnip oil is available.