32517Re: Looking for a good read ...

  • barrystevens2001
    Jul 1, 2005
      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "jacqu1wh1te"
      <jacqui.white@e...> wrote:
      > recommend any Costa Rican literature

      Suggest you might try and locate a copy of a DVD - "The Blue
      Butterfly", a true story filmed in the Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
      area. It shows the interaction of white and indigenous culture, and
      the adventures of a young boy with an inoperable brain tumor who
      comes to the jungle to realize his dream of finding a blue morphous
      butterfly before he dies. He ends up being cured by a shaman.

      Along the way, you get to see jungle, rivers, a Bribri village, many
      critters, including some downright spectacular bugs, flowers... and
      hear the jungle sounds, including a great sequence of a troop of
      howler monkeys really howling.

      We deal with Bribri Indians every day. I wanted to see how authentic
      this movie was, so we showed it to a lunchtime crowd of about 60 of
      them at lunch one Saturday. They said it was very authentic - only
      pointed out the music as being a bit overdone, but with authentic
      flute pieces.

      Some of those who saw the movie pointed out that the shaman himself
      was in it, and that they knew him personally.

      My wife and I operate El Puente - The Bridge, a non-profit that
      provides educational assistance, food assistance, and microloans to
      indigenous people in the Puerto Viejo de Talamanca area, You can see
      what we're up to by visiting http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org

      Barry Stevens
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic