24920$500

  • RICHARD H MAEHL
    Aug 31, 2004
      We've always been able to get the $500 for every passport holder in the
      family...age didn't matter. We haven't done it in a few years, though.
      Many years they forgot to stamp the passport, and the next package came
      in duty-free. Still...since nothing is always the same, so to speak,
      everyone can have a different experience.

      For cheese-makers who are used to rennet cheeses...most farmacias carry
      cuajo, and I make about 3/4 kilo of farmers' or cottage cheese
      overnight. Just a gallon of milk (I use whatever I can get...can't
      always get it unpasteurized), warm, to which I add 1/4 rennet tablet
      dissolved in 1/2 cup of warm water, and 1/4 cup of buttermilk and cover
      to keep buggage out. My oven has a pilot light and I keep the pan
      there. All more or less. 12 hours later I cut the now solid curd
      into ribbons with a sharp knife, dip them out into a lined colander,
      hang for a few hours, wash in ice water, and cool with a weight on top
      (cheese is wrapped in a clean cloth napkin) for a few hours. Sometimes
      I heat the whole thing to firm the curds, sometimes I don't. Add cream
      or don't. It's good for lasagne, blintzes, noodle pudding, whatever.
      I use the whey for all sorts of things, too.