167712Sweet potato - camote

  • jackdiv
    Aug 15, 2014
      Camotes are the purplish tubers by the white potatoes and yuca in the supermarket. Camote comes from the Aztec, camotl. Here in Costa Rica, camote is a mild term for nuts or crazy, often used in jest among friends.
      In Mexico, camote is used to denote something sweet and good, enjoyable. A popular Mexican saying is, La vida es un camote, y él que no lo crea es guajolote - Life is a sweet potato and anybody who doesn't believe it is a turkey (guajolote is also Aztec and means turkey in Mexico). The Aztecs domesticated the turkey and were well aware of the cognitive challenges faced by the poor creature.
      Just a cloudy quiet day and I thought I'd put my two cents in.

      Jack Donnelly
      Author ofCOSTA RICA: Folk Culture, Traditions, and Cuisine