164976RE: Sign or Not Sign the back of the credit card

  • alajuelanorth
    Feb 16, 2014
      It doesn't harm one way or the other since nobody that runs the cards cares what you do with a signature or not - though beardless I like to sign "Abraham Lincoln" though my wife disapproves of credit card humor.

      Your biggest protection (which may not always work on Costa Rican issued cards) is to make sure you contest any bogus charges as quickly as you can with as much information as you can.  Card issuers in N. American take this stuff pretty seriously.

      Guest drives into a Guanacaste gas station, gets charged 340,000 colones for a fill up and signs the receipt as he didn't understand the math.  This scam makes no sense to me as the card company will be back to the gas station for an explanation.

      We have driven into gas stations and asked for 30,000 colones and see the attendant only puts in 20,000  probably the most common scam with cash on visiting gringos.
      Berni
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic