162777RE: Re: US Visa Requirements

  • nosliwmas
    Sep 28, 2013

      ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <eskasue@...> wrote:

      > Is the only way [...] to secure a visa to the USA via on-line and in English ?

      I'd hate to say the ONLY way as there likely are exceptions, but
      generally, yes, for a non-immigrant visa to the US, one must fill out
      the DS-160 Online Application and do it in English.  There are 3rd party
      folks that will do it for someone, and one can often find a friend to help.
      I've helped probably a dozen or more Ticos do it.  The online form does
      have some tool-tips in Spanish, but that's not enough to get a non-English
      speaker through the form.

      > where do you get the digital photo taken for uploading ?

      I have never had any luck with the digital foto -- and I used to try.  What
      I always have done to get past that part is to upload some bogus foto that
      I find on the computer (e.g. smallish JPEG), then the website rejects it
      and I get fotos taken inside the consulate.  I've also never had a suitable
      "passport' type foto taken before we got to the consulate accepted.  As
      soon as one gets past security, in the outside waiting area there is a
      foto shop that will take and sell an appropriate foto for a couple mil.

      Good luck!

      --
      Sam

      ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Don't expect to get a visa to the US if you don't have access to a
      computer. First, you can only easily get a list of things they look for
      in a successful applicant on the US Dept of State web site.

      Basically, you have to provide damn good evidence that you won't STAY in
      the US if they let you in -- such as a job, owning property, family, etc.

      Read their web site. That will give you the answers.

      John French
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic