151797Re: worms on lettuce

  • gweilo1945@yahoo.com
    Sep 30, 2012
      Hi:

      Regarding rumours of "worms" carried on vegetables, I think your contact was referring to infestations of a parasitic nematode (one type of 'worm') known to occur in CR, and carried by snails.

      Small amounts of snail mucous on uncooked vegetables (like lettuce) could carry tiny worm larvae that mature in people who unwittingly ingest these residues.   Note the detailed description below:-
      http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rimtsp/v49n3/12.pdf

      I don't know whether bleach would kill the larvae, so maybe someone else has ideas.
      Gweilo