138215Re: [CostaRicaLiving] a not so funny question...

  • Anthony Carneiro
    Oct 31, 2011
      Most of the baños in San José downtown are not public. It's been my experience that unless you go in and buy something, you are not welcome to use el baño. Even McDonalds had a uniformed guard to whom you had to show a sales receipt before he unlocked the baño door. I had a shout-out with a guard at the Gran Hotel Costa Rica years ago, after I walked in to use el baño.
      Some small restaurants will let you use the baño if you pay them a stipend; other restaurants have signs saying "Not for non-customers; don't ask."
      There are enough baños downtown one can use, but one has to know which ones; most are not open to the public.

      Cheers;
      Anthony C./Curridabat