13473Re: [CostaRicaLiving] GETTING JOBS IN CR

  • cauny@aol.com
    Feb 4, 2003
      Cheers from here to Shirley, for re-affirming the "simplicity" of job hunting
      (as long as it's done with tenacity and creativity, as hers clearly was/is).

      With a dash of reluctance, I'm going to tie together two threads (the current
      "getting jobs in CR" one and the one of a week or so ago asking GPers to
      share their "daily work lives"). Reluctance because I don't (yet) know my
      fellow GPers personally and, simultaneously, recognize the myriad of possible
      mis-interpretations/mis-translations that can occur between my typing
      something and others reading it. Those possibilities, for me, underscore the
      desirability of face-to-facing as opposed to keyboard-to-screening, but here
      I'm a board certified radiation oncologist - a doc who uses various forms of
      radiation to treat malignant tumors/cancers. I "did" medical scool in Mexico
      (Guadalajara), where I learned Spanish in a largely self-imposed/created
      crucible of "total immersion" (details previously posted). Residency was at
      Columbia-Presbyterian in NYC. Subsequent "career" of circa 25 years has been
      (sequentially) in FL, burbs of NYC, PA, NYC burbs redux (15 years) and now,
      coming full circle, FL again. It's been a largely interesting experience -
      people and their needs seem not to differ much by geography - but one that,
      likely because of patient "committment", has extracted a degree of "burn out"
      as the reserves in the emotional "well" become ever more difficult to
      replenish with passing years.

      So, at age 60 and newly married, I contemplate future alternatives. A
      seemingly desirable one would be to "retire" to CR in 4-5 years and continue
      my professional efforts in a brand spanking new environment (perhaps naively
      percieved as one of relative peace, tranquility, predictably decent weather
      and one devoid of the unfettered asphalting-over, lowest-common-denominator
      intellectual homogenization and dehumanization I sense occurring in my native
      land-the one for which I fought during the Viet Nam event and the one which I
      will leave to my three kids in (opinion) much worse condition than when my
      folks left it to me and my generation - a source of continuing "guilt" about
      which I as an individual can do little).

      While I today know little of the nature of medicine in CR (and even less of
      its quality), I am curious to know if it's likely/possible that someone like
      me can, on relocation to CR, both make a meaningful professional contribution
      to the healthcare of the people of Costa Rica and, through gainful
      employment, partially defer the costs of retirement there.

      Any replies or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
      Craig Usas