Re: [CorvusBrothers] out in the open. -Brothers only plz

  • serenityf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2009
      The fact you had no notice of the suspension really highlights the problem with how we handled it.  Phone calls should have been made, as not everyone is an email junkie like a lot of us are.  But that's a whole other issue.

      This should probably be discussed face to face at the next Brothers meeting.  In my opinion, I don't see why we can't have a Brother that camps with another group, as yes you have earned the cloak and no you haven't done anything to warrant that cloak being taken away.  We have Brothers (and Hearth Members) in our group that camp elsewhere, and I don't think there's anything to be gained by making you, or any of them, "choose".

      And trust me, I understand about life getting in the way.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2009
        Dagwood,

        I would recommend that you go fight on Sunday with Corvus.  Go to the Brothers meeting.  Say your piece there.  If you really want to get an answer right away on the Romani thing, then ask that it be put to a vote.  If you can wait 6 months, then propose it on Sunday, spend 6 months getting back into the swing of things with the active Corvus brothers, and then get a vote at the next Brothers meeting in the fall.  If you want my advice, I'd say go the route of asking on Sunday, then getting a vote in 6 months if you still want the active Brothers' approval.

        As a group, we evolve.  We are not who we were 20 years ago, or 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago.  We are who we are.  As we change, each of us should follow his or her interests and go where he or she has the most fun.

        As a general point of interest, I would say that we are getting a lot of Brothers who camp and fight elsewhere. So, if you go that route, then there is plenty of precedent for it.  If that practice ever gets to a point where the active brothers want to require camping with Corvus for fighting with Corvus, then you'd end up in good company fighting elsewhere along with Sir Ryan, Baroness Bridgette, and most likely Timmy, too.

        But I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Go where you have fun and everything will work out.  If Corvus is where your current group of close friends and fun is, then go there.  If it's elsewhere, then go there because even if you did, I'm sure you'd still be welcome at the vodka symposium along with Sieggy and Wayno.

        Albert

        Darren von Braun wrote:

[...]

      • Michael Huarte
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 26, 2009
          Re: [CorvusBrothers] out in the open. -Brothers only plz Dagwood,

          You must find where your heart is.  If it is with us that is great if it is with the Romani that is great to.  Look to where you really feel comfortable and what about this weird game gets you motivated to dress up in weird clothes, get little sleep, party all night, fight all day and repeat.  Its all in the actions.  That being said don’t give me no guff on not getting a ride to practice, I used to take the bus and ride from skateboard with my armour in a backpack.  I mean Negro Pleaz!!!!!  And the Internet, What do you live in Little House on the Prairie and can only get to the general store except once a month!?!  I bet you haven’t given up looking at naked lady pictures on the Internet so back to the Negro Pleaz!!!

          Didn’t Serenity pipe up about something, what mishandling everything.  Where you been woman?!  Why don’t you unravel the pile of rust and mold that has become your amour and come down for brigade this Sunday.  You can dazzle us with your political acumen Miss Chamberlain and buy peace in our time with the SCA powers.

          Dagwood come back we miss your smart assitude, I have not one to pick on the SCA muckity mucks with except Asa since Rene is AWOL, Subadai is in Marital bliss, Bruno turned into a VW cam head, Bedawyr doesn’t stop gradding papers or studying Elvish, Dannicus is either singing or working or rooting for a rocky mountain footbal franchise long past its prime, and Hothgar moved, Sad!

          Valrik

[...]

        • patrick kaschube
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2009
            Subadi !!!!! Marital Bliss?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Poor girl. Uh I assume?

            He I camped with another group from the very gitgo, this was back in 92 and it did raise concerns but they gave in and let me in. Hang where ya want, fight where ya want and have fun.

            Pat

            i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
            Join me

            To: CorvusBrothers@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2009
              I called him and talked to him about the suspension.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
                Actually, let me clarify.  I managed to get ahold of him about 3 days? before the meeting.  I spoke to him from a half hour to an hour, where I practically begged him to show up to the meeting where he was put on probation.  It was kind of a surprise, actually, when probation was voted for, but I warned Darren about the concerns people had and how important it was that he show up for that meeting.  I think, he was still in town at that point, but needed to pack etc.  I asked him to write a letter defending himself.  Mail it to me or drop it on my doorstep.  He completely, failed to do so.  In his e-mail he alludes to a six month job he had in Northern CA.  This job rendered him completely incomunicado for those six months, so no one could say boo to him.  He refers to it in his e-mail.  It might have been a good idea for him to call me and say, "Hey Sciah, I'm back in town.  How did that REALLY important meeting (which you weren't at, Serenity) go?", but needless to say he didn't.  BTW, at Estrella, we found out Darren was there from, one of the Romanii? late Saturday.  I really, like Darren and would like things to work out, in terms of his staying a brother, but if he wants to stay a brother, maybe even if he doesn't camp with us, he should consider dropping by and saying hello?
                So, I'm sure your Delphic wisdom would have caused you to handle things so much better, but Darren was warned.  Sciah

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Listen, man, I went by what the dude said, and he said:

                  "I'm still woefully uninformed as far as my "suspension" goes. had i known what this email list was saying and had i been able to attend brothers meetings, i would not have gone to  the last fall potrero."

                  So if you put in the effort to make him defend his actions and get to the meeting (which I couldn't attend because I had a work function for the Emmys that day in Hollywood, if you must know), then fabulous. It was a crappy situation and put many people in awkward positions and the only result from the whole terrible ordeal was Sept War was cancelled forever.  Wee.

                  This guy says he wants to be in Corvus.  Some members of Corvus seem to doubt his intentions.  This seems a better issue to discuss in person.  The end.

                  Actually, let me clarify.  I managed to get ahold of him about 3 days? before the meeting.  I spoke to him=2 0from a half hour to an hour, where I practically begged him to show up to the meeting where he was put on probation.  It was kind of a surprise, actually, when probation was voted for, but I warned Darren about the concerns people had and how important it was that he show up for that meeting.  I think, he was still in town at that point, but needed to pack etc.  I asked him to write a letter defending himself.  Mail it to me or drop it on my doorstep.  He completely, failed to do so.  In his e-mail he alludes to a six month job he had in Northern CA.  This job rendered him completely incomunicado for those six months, so no one could say boo to him.  He refers to it in his e-mail.  It might have been a good idea for him to call me and say, "Hey Sciah, I'm back in town.  How did that REALLY important meeting (which you weren't at, Serenity) go?", but needless to say he didn't.  BTW, at Estrella, we found out Darren was there from, one of the Romanii? late Saturday.  I really, like Darren and would like things to work out, in terms of his staying a brother, but if he wants to stay a brother, maybe even if he doesn't camp with us, he should consider dropping by and saying hello?
[...]

                  Conversely, I HAVE been spending a goodly amount of time with the gyppos and i feel VERY happy to be a part of them as far as ive been able so far. It's been recently brought to my attention=2 0that Rromani would like to consider me for a very rare, 'case-by-case' , non-voting,  non-manditory- fighting membersh ip (blue sash) in their household. Myself, and the Rroma, just want to be sure that this is something that's alright with the lot of yeh's. I recognize this practice is accepted as far as corvites being Drafn members(who all has that btw?) However, it's not been done with this household before.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
                    serenityf@... wrote:  "This guy says he wants to be in Corvus.  Some members of Corvus seem to doubt his intentions.  This seems a better issue to discuss in person.  The end."

                    Brothers,

                    I completely agree with Serenity's sentiment, above, except for the "end" part.  Asa's going to speak to him off list.

                    Unfortunately, it's not really over until just prior to May war when we agreed to reevaluate Darren's suspension that resulted from his attendance at September Potrero despite our group decision not to attend.  The fact that he didn't know about that ban speaks volumes about how active he was prior to that point.  The fact that he claims not to have known about his own suspension speaks even louder.  But all of that is now just water under the bridge except that we have to follow through on our own plan to suspend Darren's status as a Brother until May when we will decide whether to lift his suspension based on his actions during that suspension.

                    This whole thing would be a complete non-issue if he came to regular practices to stay current.  Where he camps, who he party's with, and whether he would like dual membership in another group are only relevant in as much as those things might or might not weigh in on the active members' votes in May.

                    At this point, there is no motion or serious talk about making some wider policy about camping, or partying, or fighting, or anything else for that matter.  I would oppose any such policy even if it were proposed.  Darren's is a special case only because all of those issues have managed to come together at the same time as his suspension for attending September war despite our vote not to attend.

                    And yet Darren didn't come to practice, again, today.  Or the last brigade practice.  Or the one before that.  Or any other Corvus-only even in well over 6 months.  Hell, even Bruno showed up today, albeit not in armor.

                    There is a practice on the third Wednesday of this month at 7 PM.  And there is one on the first Sunday in April.  There may be another practice in May, but that's about it, unless he can get up to one of the practices at Murdy Park in Orange County.  At this point, e-mails are a waste of time because actions will speak louder than words.  I would strongly encourage him to get to every single one of those Corvus events that he possibly can attend in armor and fighting.

                    Albert