Corvus Calendar of Events for 2009

  • Albert and Suzanne Anderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 15, 2009
      Ave, Corvus!

      With Asa's permission, I've put together a Corvus Calendar of Events for 2009, listed in chronological order at the end of this message.

      Corvus Events are subject to change at the discretion of the Triskelion.

      In particular, the Brothers' Meetings and Elections may change based on circumstances facing the Triskelion as the dates get closer.  The Triskelion will also add special elections, meetings, or parties to the calendar as needed.  However, this is a good plan for people to schedule vacations for wars, and plan weekends or Wednesday nights for unit practices.

      Let me know if you find any problems with the calendar.

      I've included all Calafia and southern Caid events that Corvus members might be interested in.  The "(Active)" note indicated events that confer "Active" voting status to Brothers who armor up and fight at that practice to the satisfaction of the Triskelion within six months of any vote.  Northern-only unit practices are not included, although melee practices scheduled by the Northern Tribune can also confer "Active" status.

      As time permits, I will enter this data into the yahoo group calendar in order to have that system send automated reminder messages for important events.

      If you want an Excel version of this calendar, then please e-mail me directly off list.

      Corvus Calendar of Events for 2009

      4-Jan-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      17-Jan-2009, Angel's Melee, Sat
      21-Jan-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      25-Jan-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun

      11-Feb-2009, Estrella War, Wed
      18-Feb-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      24-Feb-2009, Northern Corvus Brothers Meeting & Tribune Election (Dues due), Tue

      1-Mar-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      1-Mar-2009, Corvus Brothers' Meeting (Dues due), Sun
      15-Mar-2009, Corvus Triskellion Election (Pendragon, Centurion), Sun
      18-Mar-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      21-Mar-2009, Crown Tourney, Sat

      4-Apr-2009, St. Artemas Anniversary, Sat
      5-Apr-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      15-Apr-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      17-Apr-2009, Darkwell War - This calendar assumes we are not going as a unit., Fri

      2-May-2009, Summergate Anniversary, Sat
      3-May-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      9-May-2009, Altavia Aniversary, Sat
      10-May-2009, Corvus Only War Practice - Sunday, Murdy Park (Active), Sun
      20-May-2009, No May Wedneday Melee Practice due to May War, Wed
      21-May-2009, Potrero War, Thur

      6-Jun-2009, Coronation, Sat
      7-Jun-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      7-Jun-2009, Queen's Champion, Sun
      13-Jun-2009, Gyldenholt Anniversary, Sat
      17-Jun-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      21-Jun-2009, Corvus Championship (Summer Solstice Jun 21 09), Sat
      27-Jun-2009, CP Prize, Sat

      5-Jul-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      15-Jul-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      18-Jul-2009, Corvus Gladiator Tournament, Sat

      2-Aug-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      15-Aug-2009, Leodamas of Thebes Tourney, Sat
      19-Aug-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      22-Aug-2009, Crown Tourney, Sat

      4-Sep-2009, Highland War, Fri
      6-Sep-2009, Brigade Practice (Active) [May be cancelled if we go to Highland], Sun
      15-Sep-2009, Northern Corvus Brothers Meeting & Tribune Election, Tue
      16-Sep-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      19-Sep-2009, Fall Collegium, Sat
      20-Sep-2009, Corvus Triskellion Election (Pendragon, Druid, Centurion), Sun

      3-Oct-2009, Leif Ericsson Tourney, Sat
      4-Oct-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      4-Oct-2009, Corvus Brothers' Meeting, Sun
      7-Oct-2009, Great Western War, Wed
      21-Oct-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      31-Oct-2009, Summergate Longsword Tourney, Sat

      1-Nov-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      7-Nov-2009, Coronation, Sat
      8-Nov-2009, Queen's Champion, Sun
      18-Nov-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
      21-Nov-2009, Calafia Anniversary, Sat

      5-Dec-2009, Corvus Yule Feast, Sat
      6-Dec-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
      16-Dec-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed

      Albert
      Centurion

    • Smidt, John (USMS)
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2009

        Ave all of Corvus,

          Any chance I can get my hands on an aluminum scutum blank at Bde practice 25 Jan?  this will give me plenty of time to hang it, so I won’t have any excuse not to have it ready for May War.  I am happy to pay what ever it costs.  Thanks, Eric “The Marshal”

[...]

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

      • Al Anderson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 21, 2009
          Contact Valrik directly about buying/taking one of his scutums that
          you can repaint and own. I think he has enough to give you one
          permanently if you work it out with him.

          As for blanks, Karl usually knows how to find them and get them
          rolled, so try him.

          You should have their e-mails. If not, e-mail me off list for their
          contact info.

          Albert

          --- In CorvusBrothers@yahoogroups.com, "Smidt, John \(USMS\)"
          <john.smidt@...> wrote:

          > Ave all of Corvus,
          >
          > Any chance I can get my hands on an aluminum scutum blank at Bde
          > practice 25 Jan? this will give me plenty of time to hang it, so I
          > won't have any excuse not to have it ready for May War. I am happy
          > pay what ever it costs. Thanks, Eric "The Marshal"

          Suzanne
> [...]
          Tue

          > 16-Sep-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
          >
          > 19-Sep-2009, Fall Collegium, Sat
          >
          > 20-Sep-2009, Corvus Triskellion Election (Pendragon, Druid,
          Centurion),
          > Sun
          >

          > 3-Oct-2009, Leif Ericsson Tourney, Sat
          >
          > 4-Oct-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
          >
          > 4-Oct-2009, Corvus Brothers' Meeting, Sun
          >
          > 7-Oct-2009, Great Western War, Wed
          >
          > 21-Oct-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
          >
          > 31-Oct-2009, Summergate Longsword Tourney, Sat
          >

          > 1-Nov-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
          >
          > 7-Nov-2009, Coronation, Sat
          >
          > 8-Nov-2009, Queen's Champion, Sun
          >
          > 18-Nov-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
          >
          > 21-Nov-2009, Calafia Anniversary, Sat
          >

          > 5-Dec-2009, Corvus Yule Feast, Sat
          >
          > 6-Dec-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
          >
          > 16-Dec-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed

        • Michael Huarte
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 21, 2009
            Re: [CorvusBrothers] Re: Corvus Calendar of Events for 2009 Eric,

            I have suggested in the past that we simply order the scutems form Windrose or another armourer.  The reason being is that all the time in getting materials, bending the metal, cutting the hole, getting a boss, absorbs so much time and transit/supply cost that it equates with buying the scutem outright, with a handle and boss mounted.  All we have to do is paint and edge.

            I will give Windrose a call, Dannicus asked about another scutem also, so I will get a quote.  All my scutems (5) are painted and edged.

            Speaking of which can we get a roll call as to who has scutems and how many.  Albert can you take compile this info?  Another one of your fabulous lists!

            I will start
            Valrik – 5 (2 at my house, 1 with Marcus/Raider/Kuma-training purposes, 1 with Asa, 1 is a shorter, oval scutem that is flat)

            Some of you old timers, sounds off, Cybian, Herger, Tim, Lars, Jack, Door, where are you????

            --- In CorvusBrothers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CorvusBrothers%40yahoogroups.com> , "Smidt, John \(USMS\)"
            <john.smidt@...> wrote:

            > Ave all of Corvus,
            >
            >   Any chance I can get my hands on an aluminum scutum blank at Bde
            > practice 25 Jan?  this will give me plenty of time to hang it, so I
            > won't have any excuse not to have it ready for May War.  I am happy
            > pay what ever it costs.  Thanks, Eric "The Marshal"

            Suzanne
> [...]
            Tue

            > 16-Sep-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
            >
            > 19-Sep-2009, Fall Collegium, Sat
            >
            > 20-Sep-2009, Corvus Triskellion Election (Pendragon, Druid,
            Centurion),
            > Sun
            >

            > 3-Oct-2009, Leif Ericsson Tourney, Sat
            >
            > 4-Oct-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
            >
            > 4-Oct-2009, Corvus Brothers' Meeting, Sun
            >
            > 7-Oct-2009, Great Western War, Wed
            >
            > 21-Oct-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
            >
            > 31-Oct-2009, Summergate Longsword Tourney, Sat
            >

            > 1-Nov-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
            >
            > 7-Nov-2009, Coronation, Sat
            >
            > 8-Nov-2009, Queen's Champion, Sun
            >
            > 18-Nov-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed
            >
            > 21-Nov-2009, Calafia Anniversary, Sat
            >

            > 5-Dec-2009, Corvus Yule Feast, Sat
            >
            > 6-Dec-2009, Brigade Practice (Active), Sun
            >
            > 16-Dec-2009, Corvus Wed Melee (Active), Wed

          • Al Anderson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 21, 2009
              Valrik,

              I will make that list this week.

              I already have a good start.

              I will post my draft list for feedback later tonight on the main
              yahoo group, not this brothers-only list.

              Albert

              > Speaking of which can we get a roll call as to who has scutems and
              how many.
              > Albert can you take compile this info? Another one of your
              fabulous lists!

              > I will start
              > Valrik ­ 5 (2 at my house, 1 with Marcus/Raider/Kuma-training
              purposes, 1
              > with Asa, 1 is a shorter, oval scutem that is flat)
              >
              > Some of you old timers, sounds off, Cybian, Herger, Tim, Lars,
              Jack, Door,
              > where are you????

            • Smidt, John (USMS)
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 21, 2009

                Valrik,

                  This fine with me.  Just tell me who I owe and how much. Or if you give me the dimensions: Thickness, Height, Width, Hole Diameter, I will order one from Windrose. Thanks, Eric

                <john.smidt@. ..> wrote:

                > Ave all of Corvus,
                >
                >   Any chance I can get my hands on an aluminum scutum blank at Bde
                > practice 25 Jan?  this will give me plenty of time to hang it, so I
                > won't have any excuse not to have it ready for May War.  I am happy
                > pay what ever it costs.  Thanks, Eric "The Marshal"

              • Asa Keefe
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 22, 2009
                  Erik (and anyone interested in good shields)
                  Heres the website for windrose http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/
                  I highly recommend buying shields from them and having them mount a boss and a handle. It is worth the money to have a professional do it. The armor they carry tends to be decent quality if a little pricey but the shields are well worth the coin.
                  - PDR Asa

                  > This fine with me. Just tell me who I owe and how much.
                  > Or if you
                  > give me the dimensions: Thickness, Height, Width, Hole
                  > Diameter, I will
                  > order one from Windrose. Thanks, Eric

                • Cybian
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 22, 2009

                    I am here always watching… silently.

                    I second that about Windrose Armory.  I recently bought my tourney shield, which is a scaled down version of our scutems.  They do sell blanks in our size.  What is nice is you can also order the boss and have it mounted.  Here’s a link straight to their combat goods: http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=30.

                    I have one scutem that is pretty banged up and thinking about making that a loaner, if I decide to make another one.  But I have been digging that tourney shield I made.  By the way Valrik, the edging came of both my shield and scutem last war. Hint hint…

                    Cybian

                    <john.smidt@. ..> wrote:

                    > Ave all of Corvus,
                    >
                    >   Any chance I can get my hands on an aluminum scutum blank at Bde
                    > practice 25 Jan?  this will give me plenty of time to hang it, so I
                    > won't have any excuse not to have it ready for May War.  I am happy
                    > pay what ever it costs.  Thanks, Eric "The Marshal"

                  • Smidt, John (USMS)
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 23, 2009

                      PDR Asa,

                         Thanks for the tip.  But what are the Corvus Scutum standard/recommended dimensions?  My tourney rig scutum is a Windrose standard oval shield. Thx, JES

                      wrote:

                      > Contact Valrik directly about buying/taking one of his
                      > scutums
                      > that
                      > you can repaint and own. I think he has enough to give
                      > you one
                      > permanently if you work it out with him.
                      >
                      > As for blanks, Karl usually knows how to find them and get
                      > them
                      > rolled, so try him.
                      >
                      > You should have their e-mails. If not, e-mail me off list
                      > for
                      > their
                      > contact info.
                      >
                      > Albert
                      >
                      > --- In CorvusBrothers@ yahoogroups. com
                      > <mailto:CorvusBroth ers%40yahoogroup s.com>
                      > <mailto:CorvusBroth ers%40yahoogroup s.com> ,
                      > "Smidt, John \(USMS\)"
                      > <john.smidt@ ...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ave all of Corvus,
                      > >
                      > > Any chance I can get my hands on an aluminum scutum
                      > blank at
                      > Bde
                      > > practice 25 Jan? this will give me plenty of time to
                      > hang it,
                      > so I
                      > > won't have any excuse not to have it ready for
                      > May War. I am
                      > happy
                      > > pay what ever it costs. Thanks, Eric "The
                      > Marshal"

                    • Dj Reverend Cybian
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 26, 2009
                        The dimensions of my current scutum: 28" x 48". The boss comes in two
                        sizes, 5.5" and I believe 7". Get the bigger size. I want to say
                        thickness is .8, but I know some are also 1.0. That is usually
                        personal preference.

                        Cybian Maximus

                        <john.smidt@...> wrote:

                        > PDR Asa,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the tip. But what are the Corvus Scutum
                        > standard/recommended dimensions? My tourney rig scutum is a Windrose
                        > standard oval shield. Thx, JES

                      • Darren von Braun
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5, 2009
                          i've got 1.
                          =)

                          "Beware of he who would withold from you information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master."

                          <john.smidt@. ..> wrote:

                          > Ave all of Corvus,
                          >
                          >   Any chance I can get my hands on an aluminum scutum blank at Bde
                          > practice 25 Jan?  this will give me plenty of time to hang it, so I
                          > won't have any excuse not to have it ready for May War.  I am happy
                          > pay what ever it costs.  Thanks, Eric "The Marshal"

                        • patrick kaschube
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 5, 2009
                            I've got one MK V :) of course it's in Jersey.

                            Pat

                            i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
                            Join me

                            To: CorvusBrothers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: psyburn1@...
                            Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:24:49 -0700

                            i've got 1.
                            =)

                            <john.smidt@. ..> wrote:

                            > Ave all of Corvus,
                            >
                            >   Any chance I can get my hands on an aluminum scutum blank at Bde
                            > practice 25 Jan?  this will give me plenty of time to hang it, so I
                            > won't have any excuse not to have it ready for May War.  I am happy
                            > pay what ever it costs.  Thanks, Eric "The Marshal"

                          • Bridget Lucia MacKenzie
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 17, 2009

                              Greetings, my Brothers,

                              A week ago, I stepped down from being Vicaress of Altavia, this was an administrative job while Altavia searched for a new Baron & Baroness, who were just invested at Altavia Anniversary. http://www.sca-altavia.org/ My Barony is now in good hands. The Baronial Fighting Unit that I founded, the Altavian Guardians of the High Road, is under the capable care of the new Baron, Secca. My duties to my new barony are now merely Chatelaine and Advisor to their Court (phsa, I can do that in my sleep!).

                              I am now free to come home to my beloved Corvus Warband!

                              My scutum and ax stand ready once again to join the Corvus Shield wall. I have preregistered and land allocated with Corvus, and bought a bottle of nice vodka! My Brothers, if I may, I will join you again in battle, camp and revel!

                              Where is our camp at Potrero? I am arriving Thursday, bringing my 12x16” pavilion and would like to be near a road so I don’t have to drag my lumber too far!

                              Mistress Bridget Lucia MacKenzie, Brother of Corvus

                            • KniteNevar@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 20, 2009
                                Welcome back!!!!!! We ought to be in our usual spot by the battlefield. You should've just brainwash all the Altavia fighters and turn them into Corvites! Would've save you a lot of grief from being apart from Corvus...

                                Nafar

                                A week ago, I stepped down from being Vicaress of Altavia, this was an administrative job while Altavia searched for a new Baron & Baroness, who were just invested at Altavia Anniversary. http://www.sca- altavia.org/ My Baron y is now in good hands. The Baronial Fighting Unit that I founded, the Altavian Guardians of the High Road, is under the capable care of the new Baron, Secca. My duties to my new barony are now merely Chatelaine and Advisor to their Court (phsa, I can do that in my sleep!).

                                I am now free to come home to my beloved Corvus Warband!

                                My scutum and ax stand ready once again to join the Corvus Shield wall. I have preregistered and land allocated with Corvus, and bought a bottle of nice vodka! My Brothers, if I may, I will join you again in battle, camp and revel!

                                Where is our camp at Potrero? I am arriving Thursday, bringing my 12x16” pavilion and would like to be near a road so I don’t have to drag my lumber too=2 0far!

                                Mistress Bridget Lucia MacKenzie, Brother of Corvus