Events

  • patrick kaschube
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 9, 2013
      Being a two event warband as I saw mentioned in a different topic is disappointing. From what I was told at Highland from the folks in Vegas, Talon Crescent (if that is the correct name) will not be a war in 2014 because they don't have a site yet. I'm not going to Estrella for the foreseeable future as that war is a mess.
         I know it is going to be another year before it happens again but I would really like to push the brothers to go to Highland war 2014. Yes it was hot and yes I was fighting with a crossbow not a scutum but this out of shape 48 year was on the field.
        Are we a warband in name only? No I'm not throwing down the gauntlet I'm just disappointed that we don't attend a war that is in our own kingdom because it is hot. By 6 a breeze had picked up and it was pleasant. I had more fun at Highland than I have had in a long time. Talk to the Myrmidons, talk to the Orkneys I think they would agree with me. Miro and Feelan (sp?) kicked butt ask them.  I understand that people don't want to show up on a Thursday, I understand the traffic on a Friday coming out of S.D.  to Victorville sucks but my traffic in LA sucked and the war was worth it. Only  two wars a year as a warband sucks more.

    • Andrew Lake
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 10, 2013
        I can appreciate the sentiment, but the problem is this war is close to GWW and most people don't show up because they had limited budget.  I can barely justify the 2 wars I already attend, and I am satisfied with the amount of people who do show up to those.  The problem really is trying to do any kind of hobby in a very expensive state.

        Corvus is a warband, and the 2 biggest wars in the kingdom are dominated by us year after year proves it.

        Jorm

        To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
        From: pkaschube@...
        Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:53:52 +0000
        Subject: [CorvusBrothers] Events

[...]

      • Ryan
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 10, 2013
          You let it out Brother.

                My take on it is.... They should have kept the September war where it was. If you look at it from a business point of view where you have a retail store that is not popular and has little to no traffic, the store will not grow or it will fail. " the customer is always right".
              If they have an unpopular war it will fail no matter what the SCA wants it to be. The war is hot, it is small, has very little to offer as vendors, and did I mention  hot(I think I did).
             I have not gone to this war due to the above, where on the other hand, I do like Estrella as all of the things above are not present . Not to mention I like the drive. It creates a feeling of traveling abroad.
              I'm just saying, is all.

          Sent from: somewhere under your bed!

          Ryan

[...]

        • Kent Crookshanks
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 10, 2013
            So this whole argument about it's hot should be out of the picture.

            It was a hell of allot hotter at GWW last year than it was at Highlands.

            In my pre-Corvus days I used to go to the old Highlands.  This site is much better than the old one and I am entertaining the idea of camping next year as well.

            Plus there is the driving through the zombie apocalypse town to get into the site!

            ~Faelan

            CC: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
            To: CorvusBrothers@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 10, 2013
                Actually having the two wars close is a bous in my mind since packing is easy. Money is tough agreed.
                  As far as Ryan and September War,man that was hot as hell also and you couldn't have fires. If you looked at the dirt wrong it caught on fire. It was truly not fair for the desert folks to have to travel all the way to Potrero twice a year with no warin their back year. Conrad, the current prince and his lady are from Vegas if I'm not mistaken and they were appreciative to not have a close war.
                    Starkhafen (sp?)  drives seven hours to Potrero to support Caid and it would seem like we could assemble more at least a full shield wall.
                  There are a lot of brothers and I would just like to see more than three or four at that event. Again I would suggest that if we are a warband then attending more than two wars a year would seem to be appropriate.

                To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
                From: aclake@...
                Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013
                  Ok.

                  This is actually very much considered "throwing the gauntlet down".  Probably should have just left it alone after one email, but now I'm going to offer my rebuttal.

                  Corvus seems to me to be a beacon of fun times and good people, so, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" may apply here.  I go to as many events that time and money can afford me, as do the majority of Corvites.  I've never seen a policy requiring attendance to every war w/in driving distance.  Since we are calling people out, I don't think I saw you at any of the wars I went to as a Corvite until the last couple years.

                  I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but many of us are under a lot of pressure and getting to even 1 war a year is a big release to unwind, and this is only generating unnecessary drama.  I'm glad for Starkhafen and any of the other groups that drive or even fly across the country to attend an event, but I don't feel like that reflects any bearing on how we conduct our affairs as a warband.

                  Corvus and its members attend as many events a year as possible, let's leave it at that and drop the issue please.

                  Jorm

                  To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                  From: aclake@...
                  Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                  To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: pkaschube@...
                  Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:53:52 +0000

[...]

                • Scott Saunders

                    From: aclake@...
                    Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                    To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                      From: aclake@...
                      Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                      To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                        I like it also but 8 hours to drive, fight six times (two years ago) was lame. Turn out is not that much bigger than GWW. Price of gas and price of the event just don't make that war worth to me anymore. Estrella 2013, I believe Corvus fielded 0 fighters.

                        To: CorvusBrothers@yahoogroups.com

                        From: aclake@...
                        Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                        To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                          From: aclake@...
                          Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                          To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                            From: aclake@...
                            Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                            To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: pkaschube@...
                            Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:53:52 +0000

[...]

                          • Mrjerpeck
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                              Yes, subject closed.

                              Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

                              From: aclake@...
                              Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                              To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                                So, I know Jorm's request for status was the first time I had seen anything come over on this list in a long time.

                                Who is maintaining the roster? Are new brothers like Kyros even on here?

                                ~Faelan
                              • patrick kaschube
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                                  So says the Pendragon, the issue is dropped.

                                  To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: aclake@...
                                  Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                                  To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                                    So say we all.....! So say we all.....!! So say we all.....!!! So say we all.....!!!!

                                    Frack it!

                                    To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: aclake@...
                                    Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                                    To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: pkaschube@...
                                    Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:53:52 +0000

[...]

                                  • Cybian
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013

                                      Back in the day when we had to ride horses to war and use leaves to wipe our arse, I used to go to at least four a year.

                                      Cybian Valerius Maximus

                                      From: aclake@...
                                      Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                                      To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 13, 2013
                                        Patric, I saw on the FB group you are camping with another group at GWW.  Please do not interpret these emails negatively.  We all have different personalities and I am always in favor of discussing something versus ignoring an issue.  You obviously love Corvus a lot so please camp and be with your fellow brothers.

                                        To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: pkaschube@...
                                        Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:22:32 +0000

                                        So says the Pendragon, the issue is dropped.

                                        To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                                        From: aclake@...
                                        Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                                        To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 13, 2013
                                          I intend to make use of both channels;  I am knocking the dust off this channel and seeing who still replies.  I think Runewulf has ownership of this.
                                          Jorm

                                          To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: kent_crookshanks@...
                                          Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 23:14:01 +0000
                                          Subject: [CorvusBrothers] List management

                                          So, I know Jorm's request for status was the first time I had seen anything come over on this list in a long time.

                                          Who is maintaining the roster? Are new brothers like Kyros even on here?

                                          ~Faelan

                                        • Bridget Lucia MacKenzie
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 14, 2013

                                            I agree this should be a venue for Brothers Only! Not sure who the list owner is!

                                            Bridget

                                            To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 14, 2013
                                              Oh no worries Brother! I always camp with Corvus at Potrero and the group that got me into the SCA at GWW and Highland. They feed me. I always fight with and have never fought against Corvus. I'll chat with you at GWW about my thoughts.

                                              To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: aclake@...
                                              Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:17:33 -0700

                                              To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: pkaschube@...
                                              Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:22:32 +0000

                                              So says the Pendragon, the issue is dropped.

                                              To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com

                                              From: aclake@...
                                              Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:13:30 -0700

                                              To: corvusbrothers@yahoogroups.com