sail prices

  • Aonghas Macdonald
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2008
      Does anyone know the best sailmaker to get anew main and genoa,and if so what the prices are like?
      aonghas

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
      A Smarter Inbox.
    • rev_tc
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        hello mate,

        i've bought a new main this this year from gowen ocean sailmakers, in
        mersea.

        i got 13 quotes i think, and went for gowens as they were price
        competitive, and because they were just over the water from me, they
        came over and physically measured the mast and boom for the sail. and
        of course, if anything is not right, they're close by for fixing.

        crusaders also do good sails and are very competitive. you'll pay
        around 300 squid or thereabouts for a main, tho i don't know what a
        genoa is worth.

        i did all the quotes through the web and email, and sailmakers were
        very happy to communicate electronically, and some would phone me too.
        they were mostly pretty helpful, so its a pleasant enough experience.

        hope that's helpful,
        tony

      • sae140
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          --- In CorribeeCoromandel@yahoogroups.com, "rev_tc" <rev_tc@...> wrote:

          > crusaders also do good sails and are very competitive. you'll pay
          > around 300 squid or thereabouts for a main, tho i don't know what a
          > genoa is worth.

          Crusader No.1 Genoa, 124 sq ft., 24.2 ft luff:

          £335 for a cruising genoa.
          £389 for a 'long-distance' genoa.
          £453 for a cruiser/racer genoa.
          £621 for a racing genoa.

          Prices accurate as at yesterday.
          (I have an almost new (one-season) Crusader genoa and asked 'em for
          prices, as I'm thinking of selling it ...)

          Colin