Just a quick one

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi Colin,
      Thanks for the links, they do show some parts the same, but as we knew, the serial numbers
      are all different, the plate says 'Made in Belgium' on it. A dealer suggested it was a 'Heinz
      57', but then the paint is all the same. It was a UK supplied motor as far as I know, I suppose
      there is a Merc/Mariner factory in Belgium or a Yam one as suggested?

      Pity, I brought a prop at a good price but no fit can be achieved.

      Mark

      What about a burial on land? the o/b could be a feature in the rockery............
    • Chris Bartram
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        From memory, the Outboard Motor Company (OMC) which produced Mercury engines
        had a manufacturing plant in Belgium. I had some direct contact over a 6HP
        Mercury Saildrive used on Nardis which a local 'engineer'screwed-up when it
        needed a serious rebuild. No more details - I'm still far too embarrassed!

        FWIW after owning a variety of two-strokes, I have a Honda 5HP four stroke for
        Giggles as it works much better at the low revs which are typical of much of
        the use it gets from me...

        Cheers

        Chris
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
          Thanks for that Chris, I suppose i'm getting near the day when I'll have to give in and buy a
          new engine, seems daft when I have four! I even have a brand new Seagull, unused!
          Unfortunately its a 40+ with clutch and not quite big enough, I should part ex all my
          engines and cut my losses and chasing around?

          A new prop is £100!!!!!!

          Cheers
          Mark

          P.S. whats 'FWIW'? --- In CorribeeCoromandel@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bartram
          <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > From memory, the Outboard Motor Company (OMC) which produced Mercury engines
          > had a manufacturing plant in Belgium. I had some direct contact over a 6HP
          > Mercury Saildrive used on Nardis which a local 'engineer'screwed-up when it
          > needed a serious rebuild. No more details - I'm still far too embarrassed!
          >
          > FWIW after owning a variety of two-strokes, I have a Honda 5HP four stroke for
          > Giggles as it works much better at the low revs which are typical of much of
          > the use it gets from me...
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Chris

        • Chris Bartram
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
            > whats 'FWIW'?

            'For what it's worth...'

            Sorry for any confusion. It's one of a range of abbreviations (like 'IMHO' 'in
            my humble opinion' or even 'RTFM' 'read the f#%*ing manual' which used to be
            common in the early days of email, but which I see much less often nowadays!

            Cheers

            Chris
          • sae140
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
              wrote:

              > From memory, the Outboard Motor Company (OMC) which produced Mercury
              engines
              > had a manufacturing plant in Belgium. I had some direct contact over
              a 6HP
              > Mercury Saildrive used on Nardis which a local 'engineer'screwed-up
              when it
              > needed a serious rebuild. No more details - I'm still far too
              embarrassed!

              > FWIW after owning a variety of two-strokes, I have a Honda 5HP four
              stroke for
              > Giggles as it works much better at the low revs which are typical of
              much of
              > the use it gets from me...
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Chris

              Mark - there is an inference (wouldn't put it stronger than that) in
              Chris's post above, that your engine might be a 2-stroke ? By any
              chance is that correct ?

              Amongst my motley collection is a 2HP Mariner - which is identical
              down to the last nut and bolt to a Yamaha 2 and (I believe) an
              Evinrude 2. All two-strokes.

              Then, I have a Mariner 5 (4-stroke) of the same vintage as your motor,
              which is identical to the Mercury 5 - indeed the user manual I have is
              for both Mercury and Mariner 4/5/6HP.

              Although I'm clutching at straws here, IF (big if) your motor is a
              2-stroke, then that might be the cause of the confusion - and you may
              possibly have sourced a prop for a 4-stroke.

              Although it's only conjecture - with all this badge-engineering going
              on - I'm wondering if the Mariner 2-strokes were physically built at a
              different location from the 4-strokes (say, Belgium) using different
              parts, especially in the lower leg - which you'd think would be
              identical (at least I would).

              'best, Colin
            • Mark
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2007
                Hi Colin,
                Yes that would be an answer, I have spoken to a couple of dealers now and none of them
                recognise the serial number of my 2T 6hp Mariner/whatever, (09985593 a 1998 6M). The
                new props are a ridiculous price so I'll wait and find a used one. I think it would need a 8"
                with a pitch about 7"?

                I'm trying a new anti-foul this year, a cruising 'hard' formula, we'll see if that works any
                better than last year, certainly easy to put on with a roller!

                I've just fixed the tube/pipe in place for the new echo sounder, the (I thought) obvious
                place for it to go was under the cabin soul just behind the companion way steps. I made a
                hole there and realised that I couldn't get my hand to the bottom of the pipe to seal it in
                place so I drilled out a hole either side of the hole and used plastic padding, but you have
                to reach down and push the goo onto the hull, YUKKKK!!! I held it in place for 20 mins and
                to make sure there were no leaks through which the oil could escape I used some black
                mastic to seal round it. My hands are now a loverly shade of black (I've got most of the
                red antifouling off). Another five minute job that takes 5 hours...

                If anyone gets water coming down there junk 2-piece mast, I have put a 4oz nylon cap
                over the top of the stub mast, and mastic round the mast partners, seems to work.

                Cheers
                Mark
              • Mark
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 13, 2007
                  Hi Colin,
                  Just a addendum to the post below. Salterns@Poole say it is a Japanese Yamaha copy
                  made under licence and produced by Mercury, in Belgium, as a Mariner to American specs,
                  hows that for an international engine! I think I got that right.....

                  I've ordered a 9" X 7" prop.
                  Cheers
                  Mark