RE: A Birthday Request

  • Lindy Greene
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      Today - May 1st, 2008 - is my 61st birthday. I've spent the last 20 years of my life fighting for the animals. I hope I will have at least 20 more to do the same.

      Are animals so different than us? They want to feel the sun on their backs and the wind in their hair. They want to run free, find mates, raise young. Their lives matter to them. They contribute to the beauty, equilibrium, and viability of the Earth. They have many lessons to teach and important jobs to perform.

      I am contemplating 61 years spent on this planet. Most of it was squandered on selfish pursuits - taking up my (un)fair share of the oxygen provided by the beautiful green plants and, while always nurturing close and intense relationships with companion animals, being unaware of the issues and atrocities which rudely and compellingly impinged themselves on my consciousness by a random public mailing two decades ago of a verbally and pictorially graphic animal rights magazine. I could no longer turn a blind eye or deaf ear.

      I'm still selfish and wasteful. I won't insult you by pretending otherwise. But I'd like to humbly ask for a birthday present. Not money or some material gift, but rather your willingness to come out to legal protests and be a voice for the animals. I know we're battling repression - TRO's, citations, arrests, raids - but such is the price of effectiveness. And with a little precaution and intelligent strategizing, we will be avoiding most or all of that while still kicking ass for those animals.

      You joined an animal rights board because you care about animals (or you're a law enforcement official who wants to watch those who care about animals. If the latter is the case, you're hopefully learning a thing or two to raise your own consciousness.) So, let's get the animal rights movement rollicking again the way it used to be in the 90s when hundreds of people would show up for World Week and scores for protests during the rest of the year.

      That is my birthday request - to see you out there standing up and speaking out for those tortured creatures who have no one but us to defend them. To add your e-mail to a list serve announcing demonstrations in and around Los Angeles, please contact me.

      Lindy Greene