My Easter Message, I will Never leave Thee

  • deborah barrie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2008
      Hey Everybody,

      I am a Christian so I want to wish all of you who share my faith a meaningful Easter weekend.

      For those of you who are not of the Christian faith then I hope that the celebrations of your faith throughout the year bring you as much hope as the death and resurrection of Christ bring to me.

      Hope is a gift that all with or without faith in any religion need to survive the struggles of this life.

      It is my prayer that hope will live strong in you.

      Take care and please keep safe.

      deborah

      I Will Never Leave Thee by deborah elaine barrie 1985©

      I will never leave thee nor forsake thee. How many times I have read those words in my Bible. True they were comforting but they held no special place in my heart. Then one day as I read them, I felt them come alive and I doubt that I will ever hear or see the words again without my heart rising to praise His name.

      I wonder if those who heard our Lord speak them ever dreamed the price He would pay to honor His promise. I will never leave thee nor forsake thee. Oh the love in those words could only be offered by one who knew the pain of being left and forsaken.

      Christ left and forsaken...not so my mind cried as this truth was revealed to me. Yet God has shown me few things that have ever hit me as hard or made me more aware of His love than what He showed me that day.

      Christ on a cross...beaten and bloodied...dying and despised...ridiculed and blasphemed. He spoke not in His defense but asked for the forgiveness of His enemies. He was not alone. The Father was there. The Spirit was there. The sky around Him darkened. The sins of the world were laid upon Him. Yes, even the sun refused to shine upon such a sight as this.

      He who knew no sin became sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. Our sins, the Bible records, were not only laid upon Him but because of the enormousness of our transgressions He became sin. We could never conceive the horrors this must have held for Him. He who never committed the smallest transgression, He, whose very enemy was sin itself, had to become sin to win our victory over it. A willing sacrifice. A perfect lamb.

      In that darkness while He paid the greatest debt that will ever be received by God or man He cried out "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me". These were no idle words. This was not the ravings of a suffering man. This was no lie or surely our hope is in vain. These were the words of Christ, Son of a Holy God. So holy that even though this was His Son who bore our judgement...He could not look. He turned His back. Sin must be judged and punished. Mankind must be saved.

      Alone, left and forsaken. For the first time without His Father, without His Spirit. Under the pressure of our sin and His loneliness He cried out. His Father must not answer. Jesus could have summoned legions of angels to save Himself. He did not. No suffering, no pain, no loneliness was stronger than His love for us. Nothing could break His will to please His Father.

      Then when the Father saw the anguish of His soul He turned to face His Son. Christ cried, " It is finished". The sun shone again. All heaven rejoiced. I believe that if the Father ever cried He did so now as He looked at His beloved Son.

      It was paid.....our great debt. Then with complete faith and love Christ spoke His last words until He would rise again, " Into Thy hands I commend my Spirit." He closed His eyes in death.

      I will never leave thee or for sake thee. What words ever cost God so much. Or who among us could dare to believe He will not keep His promise.

      Deborah Elaine Barrie
      4 Catherine Street
      Smiths Falls, On
      Canada
      K7A 3Z8
      (613)284-8259
      deborah@...
      http://www.noccawood.ca
      subscribe to list service at website

      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
      Albert Pine