FUR TRIM LABEL LAW

  • debbie
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2005
      I did some research on this loophole in the federal law its even
      worse than we think it is. The $150 rule applies to the fur itself
      meaning if the fur itself costs less than $150 the garment does not
      have to be labeled..the coat can cost more but as long as the fur
      trim costs less than 150 they dont have to label it.. UGGHHH Here
      is the actual law I copied and paste the Exempt from label part.
      nPlease pass this on
      debbie form CAAF
      http://groups.yahoo.com/

      Exemption

      If the cost to a manufacturer of fur trim used on a garment (not
      including the cost of adding the trim to the product) or a
      manufacturer's selling price of a fur product is $150 or less, the
      product is exempt from the statute and rules.
      The exemption does not apply if:
      the product contains dog or cat fur;
      the product contains used fur;
      the product is the whole skin of an animal, with head, ears, paws,
      and tail;
      any false, deceptive, or misleading statements are made about the
      fur.
      In addition, if any representations about the fur are made in
      labeling, invoicing, or advertising, you must disclose the name of
      the animal, whether the fur is artificially colored and whether the
      fur is composed of pieces.
      Therefore, a product that meets the $150 exemption criteria cannot
      be called fur, animal fur or genuine fur without disclosures about
      the animal name, any artificial coloring process, and the use of fur
      pieces or waste. The exemption still would apply to the other Fur
      Rule requirements, such as the label size, and the disclosure of fur
      origin. Compliance with the Textile or Wool Rules labeling
      requirements would be necessary for other parts of the garment.

      The manufacturer of an exempt fur product must keep records showing
      the cost of the fur. If the manufacturer's selling price of the
      product is more than $150, and the exemption applies because the
      original cost of the fur to the manufacturer was $150 or less, the
      invoice must state that the fur is exempt from the Fur Act and Rules
      (for example, "FPL EXEMPT").

      ***Id like to see THIS INVOICE and who looks at this anyway keep
      such bullshit!!!!***