(US-va) Fwd: Join us Friday to urge 1 N. Belmont to stop serving foie gras

  • Cynthia Hendrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:35:36 GMT
      From: "In Defense of Animals" <alerts@...>

      The production of foie gras--the fattened liver of ducks and geese--is
      ranked as one of the cruelest forms of animal agribusiness. On the only
      two foie gras producing farms in the U.S., investigators documented
      ducks crammed in waste covered sheds, suffering and dying from organ
      rupture from nearly four pounds of corn mush being mechanically forced
      each day through pipes shoved down their throats. The birds are forced
      twice daily to ingest much more than they willingly would which often
      results in painful and life threatening injuries for the traumatized
      birds.

      A group of concerned citizens have been gathering at Richmond restaurant
      1 North Belmont to protest the restaurant's offering of foie gras.
      Activists in other parts of the country have successfully urged
      restaurant owners to remove foie gras from their menus. We need your
      help in convincing 1 North Belmont that the public is not okay
      with shoving pipes down the throats of ducks and geese and forcing them
      to consume so much food they are on the verge of organ rupture to
      produce a "delicacy." Please join us this Friday in front of 1 North
      Belmont Restaurant, as we show restaurant patrons the reality of foie
      gras.

      Where: 1 North Belmont Restaurant,
      1 North Belmont Ave.
      Richmond, VA 23221
      When: Friday, June 3, 6 p.m.

      Please let me know if you plan to attend or if you have any questions.
      Contact Kristie Phelps at 757-423-0093 or Kristie@... [mailto:
      Kristie @ idausa.org].

      In addition, please send a polite letter or call Frits Huntjens, owner
      of 1 North Belmont urging him to remove the cruel dish from the menu as
      well as the three other Richmond area resturants that serve foie gras.
      Visit www.StopForceFeeding.com for more information on foie gras and
      for sample letters.

      Frits Huntjens chef/owner
      1 North Belmont Restaurant
      1 North Belmont
      Richmond, VA 23221
      Tel.: (804) 358-0050

      Bistro R
      10190 W Broad St
      Glen Allen, VA 23060
      Tel.: (804) 747-9484
      Michael Carragher, Chef

      Café Lafayette
      1007 Lafayette St.
      Richmond, VA 23221-1156
      Tel.: (804) 355-3380
      Michael Knight, Chef/owner

      Dining Room at Berkeley Hotel
      1200 E Cary St.
      Richmond, VA 23219
      Tel.: (804) 225-5105
      Michael Hall, Executive Chef

      Thank you for all that you do for animals!
      ------------------------
      Dear Human,
      Why do you think that you're superior to me?
      Is it because you can "talk"?
      I just speak a different language from yours.
      Please don't mistreat me.
      Your ignorance is not my fault.
      Sincerely,
      Non-Human