Fw: [voicesforRahkim] Front page story on dog vivisection dealer 2/3/05

  • Cynthia Hendrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      To: shelterpetznetwork <shelterpetznetwork@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [voicesforRahkim] Front page story on dog vivisection dealer
      2/3/05
      Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:50:34 -0500

      Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 11:14 PM

      Subject: DawnWatch: Front page story on dog vivisection dealer 2/3/05

      The Thursday, February 3, St Louis Post-Dispatch (Missouri) has a front
      page story headed, "Animal dealer pays record fine." It imparts loads of
      information about Class B dealers and the canine vivisection industry.
      The story opens,
      "A northwest Arkansas animal dealer who for years sold thousands of cats
      and dogs to medical research facilities, including the University of
      Missouri at Columbia, has agreed to pay the largest-ever penalty for
      violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act.
      "C.C. Baird and his wife, Patsy, paid the $262,700 fine last week as
      part of an agreement settling a civil case brought by the U.S.
      Department of Agriculture..."
      The complaint accused the Bairds of violations including "severe
      mistreatment and neglect of a multitude of animals." And we learn, "They
      also were charged with buying animals of suspicious and possibly stolen
      origins and falsifying animal health certificates."
      We read,  "About 125 dogs were seized and handed over to animal adoption
      groups. The seized animals forced the USDA to take the unusual step of
      asking owners of recently lost dogs to contact the agency. Hundreds of
      inquiries came in, and the agency matched 'a dozen or more' owners with
      their lost pets, said USDA spokesman Jim Rogers. The animals 'had
      somehow gotten into his hands,' through false pretensions,
      miscommunication or theft, Rogers said."
      It is disturbing to learn that as far back as 1995, Baird "was charged
      with failing to keep detailed records of how animals were bought and
      sold. He also was accused of acquiring 'random-source dogs' -- a term to
      describe dogs that cannot be traced to legitimate dealers and may have
      been stolen."
      We learn something about the medical research industry:
      "Selling dogs and cats to medical research facilities proved to be
      lucrative for the Bairds, federal authorities said. In 1999, one of
      their busiest recent years, the Bairds bought 3,300 animals, sold 3,115
      animals and grossed a minimum of $100,000, according to the civil
      complaint.
      "The Bairds' clients are said to have included research universities
      across the country, among them the University of Colorado's Health
      Sciences Center, Oregon State University and the University of Missouri
      at Columbia.
      "Mizzou officials confirmed Wednesday that they had recently bought dogs
      from C.C. Baird for use in teaching and research. They said they stopped
      buying only when the kennels closed as part of the civil consent
      decision last month....The school buys from USDA-certified animal
      dealers and does not stop purchases because of federal charges. 'We're
      not going to react to allegations,' said school spokesman Christian
      Basi."
      And we learn something about the effectiveness of USDA monitoring:
      "The Bairds, and C.C. Baird in particular, have been the targets of
      animal rights groups for years. One group, California-based Last Chance
      for Animals, has been visiting Bairds' operations in northwest Arkansas
      for at least eight years. The group has sent federal authorities shots
      of undercover videotape they said proved dogs and cats were mistreated.
      But USDA attorney Carroll said her office's investigation did not rely
      on the group's work and she never viewed the videos."
      Hundreds of families whose dogs disappeared in Missouri in the last few
      years might be upset to learn the USDA had not only failed, for years,
      to investigate properly, but had not even viewed video taken by an
      outside source.
      You can read the whole article on line at: http://tinyurl.com/67uaw
      [http://tinyurl.com/67uaw]
      And you can send a letter to the editor about any aspect of our
      society's treatment of animals that this story brings to mind. The
      Post-Dispatch takes letters at: letters@...
      [mailto:letters@...]
      Always include your full name, address, and daytime phone number when
      sending a letter to the editor. Shorter letters are more likely to be
      published.
      Yours and the animals',
      Karen Dawn
      (DawnWatch is an animal advocacy media watch that looks at animal issues
      in the media and facilitates one-click responses to the relevant media
      outlets. You can learn more about it, and sign up for alerts at
      http://www.DawnWatch.com [http://www.DawnWatch.com]. To unsubscribe, go
      DawnWatch alerts, please do so unedited -- leave DawnWatch in the title
      and include this tag line.)
      Dear Human,
      Why do you think that you are superior to me?
      Is it because you can "talk"?
      I just speak a different language from yours.
      Please don't mistreat me.
      Your ignorance is not my fault.
      Sincerely,
      Non-Human