Breed Ban in Wilmington. NC

  • Karen Loveless
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2004

      If you are opposed to this as I am, please write to the Wilmington City Council and let them know how you feel. One bad apple does not make the whole basket bad! Their website is http://www.ci.wilmington.nc.us/council/council.htm. The following op-ed was recently published in the Wilmington Journal saying that several breeds should be banned. While what happened is horrible ( a little girl was attacked by a Pitbull) it does not mean that all of these breeds are aggressive and will attack people. For the most part people make a dog aggressive not what kind of dog it is. Just as with guns, someone should be held accountable for allowing this to happen – all dogs should not be punished for those that have irresponsible owners.

      The Wilmington City Council is working on revising their

      dangerous dog legislation now. The Wilmington Journal is

      calling for banning pit bulls, Dobermans, Rottweillers, and

      Chows.

      ===== ORIGINAL ARTICLE ======

      BAN THESE DOGS

      OUR VOICE, DO SOMETHING PLEASE, WEEK OF NOVEMBER

      18-24, 200

      by EDITORIAL STAFF

      The Wilmington Journal

      Originally posted 11/24/2004

      Little Ty'kee Conyers has a lot to be thankful for.

      This three-year old child was mauled by a pit bull terrier last

      Friday in the Creekwood housing community.

      An animal with jaws so powerful, it could do damage to a decent

      piece of metal.

      The dog was fatally shot by a police officer as he courageously

      carried Ty'kee to safety. Ty'kee is now listed in "good" condition

      at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill.

      So now the City Council, at the suggestion of Councilman Jason

      Thompson wants city attorneys to come up with ways to legally

      control such dangerous dogs. He even wants to require owners

      of "dangerous" dogs to carry insurance.

      Lots of insurance.

      Well, Councilman Thompson, we do commend you for your

      suggestion; but, allow us to differ with you.

      We don't want dangerous dogs that are a living threat to children

      regulated.

      And we don't want their so-called "responsible owners" calling

      Allstate for their popular "My Dog Bites" policy either.

      We want these four-legged devils banned from our city, period.

      By nature, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers and Chows are

      aggressive animals. If "responsible" owners can't keep a grip on

      these beasts, why should an innocent child, or an elderly

      person, or a handicapped person, or even someone else's

      properly domesticated pet, fall victim to the teeth and

      viciousness of these blood salivating mongrels?

      Ban them.

      That's right, outlaw these creatures from our city.

      We wouldn't be the first to do so.

      Prince Georges County in Maryland doesn't allow them.

      Neither does Pontiac, Michigan.

      ANIMAL RIGHTS FOLKS COUNTER THAT SPECIFIC BREEDS

      SHOULD NOT BE BANNED, AND NOTHING WOULD BE

      ACCOMPLISHED.

      WRONG. WE BAN CERTAIN TYPES OF GUNS-AUTOMATIC

      WEAPONS-FROM THE PUBLIC. GET CAUGHT WITH ONE,

      YOU GET ARRESTED BECAUSE OF THE DANGEROUS MASS

      DESTRUCTION OF SUCH A WEAPON.

      If you're a collector, and say you have the right to collect such

      weapons, we say no you don't.

      Collect pictures of automatic weapons. It's much safer and far

      less noisy.

      Same with these dangerous dogs.

      types of reptiles, no citizen should privately own any animal that's

      known to have an aggressive nature.

      Unlike professional animal trainers, citizens who own these

      animals take them out into the public, where they interact with

      what could be their next meal.

      It's not worth it, and since the City Council's primary

      responsibility is to ensure the protection of all citizens, let's not

      beat around the bush like the Council did in 2002 after the last

      pit bull attack.

      BAN THEM ALL, AND BAN THEM NOW.

      Little Ty'kee and his mother would be thankful that you did. So

      would we and many others in the Port City.

      Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!

      Chowfriends-the BEST Chow Chow list on the net!
      Visit our website www.chowfriends.com
      All posts to this list are the property of the original poster and may not be forwarded without written permission!