File - Animals as Property

  • CorrectTreatment@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 243 , Feb 1, 2004
      Regardless of what area of animal rights or animal welfare we work in, the ultimate goal for all of us is to alleviate the suffering and death of non-human animals. And regardless of our personal philosophical notions about animals' inherent interests or intrinsic rights, mankind's notion that we own everything, including animals, is the underlying rationale for their exploitation and abuse. The concept of seeing animals as "things" or "property" is an outdated belief that has prompted In Defense of Animals (IDA) to undertake this campaign.
      "They Are Not Our Property" proposes nothing less than to change society's relationship with animals.
      When people come to view animals as fellow travelers on this earth and not simply commodities to be bought and sold, the treatment they receive from humans will improve either voluntarily or via legislation passed as a result of the new ethic. The Great Ape Project, USA, which includes IDA's Dr. Sheri Speede on the board of directors, is a social and legal crusade to gain certain rights for primates, including the right to life and prohibition of torture. IDA aims to do the same for other species.

      We are beginning with companion animals, as people have close relationships with them, usually as adopters rather than "owners." Changing people's minds is a difficult task, but the rewards will be enjoyed by animals everywhere.

      To transform their social and moral status from property to living beings with their own needs and interests initially requires language changes from "owner" to guardian, "pet" to friend, "it" to he/she, "that" to a given name and other similar substitutions. The 1995 Summit for the Animals passed a resolution, signed by 19 national animal organizations, committing to these very changes. In 1999, the San Francisco Commission of Animal Welfare voted to amend city laws to include the designation, "animal guardian". On July 11, 2000, the Boulder, Colorado City Council passed a resolution making the city the first in the nation to replace the term "animal owner" with "animal guardian". "Guardian" is now used exclusively when referring to animal caretakers in Boulder as well as in West Hollywood, California. In addition, the cities of Berkeley, California and Sherwood, Arkansas and the state of Rhode Island have also enacted laws that recognize the legal status of the word "guardian."

      To promote the new language and the ethic underlying it, our campaign is committed to a nationwide effort to reach the hearts and minds of the public, with the help and support of animal organizations everywhere. When momentum is achieved, a legal test case will be sought.

      "Our dream: To have every person, young or old, see and treat companion animals, not as property to be exploited, abandoned or killed, but as individuals who deserve consideration for their needs...their quality of life. This dream is fast becoming a reality as thousands upon thousands of compassionate people are throwing off the mantle of "ownership" in favor of the caring mantle of "guardianship."

      The benefits of choosing guardianship over ownership � of convincing millions of people never to buy, but always adopt and rescue animals � are far reaching. From helping end the deaths of millions of animals in our nation's shelters, to helping end the horrors and abuse of the puppy mill trade, to helping put real teeth in laws that would truly punish and deter animal abusers, to raising children to respect animals...to treat them with dignity...will be but a few of the benefits that accrue to millions of animals around the world. I thank everyone who is helping make this dream become a reality."
      �Elliot M. Katz, DVM, President, IDA
    • CorrectTreatment@yahoogroups.com