Fwd: Re: China Daily, 12/1/03: Stray mutt's story a doggone shame

  • Anthony Walker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003

      Yoon Kerr <yoons_choi@...> wrote:
      Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:26:21 +0000 (GMT)
      From: Yoon Kerr
      Subject: Re: China Daily, 12/1/03: Stray mutt's story a doggone shame
      To: StopNightmareDogIndustries ,
      KoreanDogs

      --- Kim Bartlett wrote: >
      China Daily
      http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2003-12/01/content_286054.htm
      2003-12-01 07:57:28

      A dog sent to rural Fangshan to escape a police
      ban broke away
      from
      its new owners and returned to its home in urban
      Beijing after 54 days.
      Residents in the neighbourhood of Zhongguancun
      in Beijing's
      Haidian
      District could not help but shed tears when they saw
      the bedraggled
      pooch
      outside their homes last Monday.
      "I knew it was him when I heard barking coming
      from outside
      while I
      was cooking in the kitchen," said an elderly woman
      surnamed Chen.
      Known as Dahuang, or Big Yellow, the
      once-healthy animal was
      standing
      at the doorway. His body was gaunt and skinny, with a
      wound on the
      front
      left paw and a swelling on his back apparently caused
      by a stone. Fur
      that
      used to be golden was now matted and black.
      The animal could not stand up after entering
      Chen's home,
      collapsing
      from exhaustion.
      Chen was not its only master. The dog was a
      stray three years
      ago when
      it first showed up in the courtyard fronting several
      residences. After
      Chen
      and a few neighbours fed him, the dog took to them as
      its masters and
      the
      neighbourhood as its home.
      The dog was fed by the neighbours until one day
      some other dog
      owners
      protested and called the police.
      They complained Dahuang was a threat to their
      pets' health, and
      though
      the police failed to catch the dog, the temporary
      masters decided to
      send
      Dahuang to Fangshan, where medium-sized dogs are
      allowed to be raised.
      In Beijing, medium-sized and large dogs are not
      allowed to be
      raised
      in urban areas to avoid possible attacks on humans.
      And all dogs in the
      city
      must being vaccinated.
      The police refused to make an exception to the
      regulation, and
      the
      good-hearted neighbours have sent the dog back to
      Fangshan.

      =====
      Friends of dogs
      http://www.friendsofdogs.net
      Dogs brighten our life with their gift of love. It is our turn to help our dogs. Please help organisations who are fighting to get dogs out of the food chain.

      http://www.koreananimals.org/
      http://www.animalsasia.org/
      http://www.linisgobyerno.org/special_projects.htm

      http://www.yahoo.co.uk/robbiewilliams