Re: New Member New Adventure (March Update)

  • captcouillon
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
      Sorry for the delay in updating previous post. Moved onto boat in late
      January and lost my internet connection. Hope to get Butch to get us
      online at the marina later this month.

      Still cleaning and getting settled in. Have spent many hours staring at
      interior (easy to do in Deltaville in mid-winter) deciding how to best
      set up for cruising full time. As I am (and plan to remain) solo, have
      decided to scrap v-berth as berthing space and outfit for (there is
      never enough) storage. Trying to keep bow weight within reason so will
      be primary storage for sails, lines, food, and misc clothing etc. Am
      installing foot powered seawater pump for galley sink and think existing
      freshwater tank forward will be enough for coffee and cooking. Plan to
      hardpipe a deck fill for freshwater tank.

      Found what looks to be about a 15 gal holding tank at a local
      consignment shop that should fit below the hanging locker opposite the
      head. Again with the hardpipe (1 1/2 inch pvc) between head and holding
      tank as well as deck pumpout and vent. Imhop easier than fighting stiff
      sanitary hose, and less chance of leaks and odor.

      All interior and running lights being replaced with led lighting. Twice
      the price but the reduction in power use will pay for them in reduced
      battery cost not to mention keeping then charged. No refrigeration or AC
      planned so energy budget (with all running lights / interior lights
      /electronics/autohelm) is down to around 3 amps at 12V max use, and 1/2
      of that for normal use. A couple of 180 amp/hr 6V batteries should do
      well enough. Like the 6V over a single 12 as that 120lb sucker is hard
      to move. Will use gel-cells if I can afford them as they have a twice
      the life and can stand being submerged if ( God Forbid) you get a couple
      feet of water over the cabin sole. Been pooped more than once with the
      companion way open. Planning on modifying the existing companion way
      ladder so as to mount the batteries where the bottom step currently is.
      No maint on the gel-cells so limited access not a problem. Trying to
      keep the weight low and on the centerline as much as possible. Space
      behind ladder and batteries for additional heavy storage , eg. tools,
      canned goods, and the rum supply. As primary berthing space for me is
      the quarter berth to port, proximity to the rum supply is a big plus.

      Found the Suzuki 6hp that was on the boat when she was laid up. Good
      news as the price is right. Been in dry storage so a carb cleaning and
      waterpump kit should be all it needs. Would have rather had a 4 stroke
      but the difference in price will buy a lot of gas! Still looking for a
      Simrad tiller pilot if anyone happens to have one. Haven't decided what
      to do for power generation under way... Tafrail generator would be
      great Maybe a DIY model . Still planning on solar for anchored periods.

      Now that the weather is starting to break, hope to spend some more
      productive time. Would like to drop the stick next week to check
      sheaves etc (convert to all rope halyards? ) and have been talking to
      local yard about haulout for bottom paint, depth transducer and thru
      hull servicing, Hopefully if I let them do the bottom I will be able to
      do the rest myself while on the hill. Quick 2 coats of interthane 990
      from the bootstripe to the deck at the same time. Will paint decks and
      cockpit along side the dock.

      Thanks for the interest and the comments, when we have the net up at the
      marina plan to poke up a website for the "Solitaire" that I will use to
      post pics, and logs as the adventure continues. Planned departure mid
      to late August

      Better get back to work so I can pay for my plans.

      David
    • Karl Aube
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
        David,
        I still have my Coronado 25 and raced it on San Francisco bay.  You mentioned watching bow weight in converting from bunks in the "V" birth and a thing to note that the racing rules on SF bay allowed a 200# weight to be carried in the bow to keep the boat on her lines with cockpit crew and Out board on the stern.
        Karl

        To: Coronado25@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2013
          Thanks for the info Karl.... Will be interested to see how she trims out when loaded for trip.

          Side note.. Wahoooo! now have wifi on the dock. Will make it a lot easier to stay in touch, and find misc and etc.

          Tks again
          David