New Member New Adventure (Long Post)

  • captcouillon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
      Greetings from the wilds of Chesapeake Bay.

      Just took possession of a 69 C25 that my buddy gave to me. She is in bad shape cosmetically, but so far seems to be sound. Will post hull # etc in the next few days, and probably will continue to post on progress as I get around to it, and get the computer up at the marina.

      Some personal details.....

      Certified "old fart" (63 at last count). Swallowed the anchor about 6 or 7 years ago after raising 3 kids on a Coronado 41 ('75) with about 25,000 miles under the keel. Most of it outside the US. Loved the Escape, but after the kids were grown and I got older, she was just too much to keep single handing, and more space and upkeep than I needed. Thought that nice apartment ashore sounded good. NOT!

      Ended up in Deltaville Va little over a year ago after bouncing around the southeast looking for a place to fit. This isn't it. but my buddy who owns the marina down the road, asks me if I know anyone who wants this old Coronado that was abandoned at his dock. Hmmm, do I want all this hassle again? Nope, well maybe, why not? Not doing anything here 'cept growing grass on the bottom and getting older by the day. That mooring field in Boot Key Harbor  is looking pretty good on the 30 degree morning.

      So decided to give the boat a quick interior cleanup, pare down the possessions to minimum clothes and tools, dump the current abode and move onboard while I refit. Would like to be out of here early August headed south. No job, no connections, no problem.

      Some boat details...

      In the water along side the dock.

      Standing rigging in place, looks sound but first on the list for replacement with probably a size up on the wires, and possibly a double forestay in lieu of rollerfurling. Like my hank on sails, Easy to change, and when you let em go, they come down.

      Got main and fore onboard haven't unfolded them to see what kind of condition. Assume the worst hope for best. Good sailmaker here in town, so can cut down whatever I find to fit if necessary.

      Keel bolts look good, only water in the bilges is fresh, assume from leaking lights and hatches.
      Bottom condition unknown at this time. Be a while before I can get her hauled, so planning to give the interior a quick and dirty, and move onboard. Will spend the winter on new electrical and interior doll up while saving for haul out when the weather warms.

      Deck condiAnyone runs across a suitable OB in the next tion better than expected for her age and storage. Engine mount probably wants a bit of re-enforcement but will wait till I come up with an OB. Would love a four stroke 6 but probably won't be able to afford it till later if ever.

      Electrical... toast.
      Plan to gut all the existing wiring an start from scratch. Knowing myself, 110 will be absolute minimum as I normally don't spend much time along side a dock. Got to have heat this winter but will spend any available cash on the 12V system. At least 4-6 golf cart batteries for the house. Solar is getting cheap enough to keep the house up on the hook but not practical underway. Was always happy with my Aero-Gen on the Escape which would keep up with the lights and below deck autopilot any time there was enough wind to sail by. Unfortunately they are expensive and probably out of reach these days. Will have to come up with some sort of self steering as a single hander and open to suggestions.

      Plumbing gets a do-over. Will have to install a tank for the MSD probably 10 gal and will refit fresh water to at least 30 gal with pressure/manual pump. Also plan to install manual seawater pump in galley for offshore use. Although to rinse dishes I usually just throw 'em in a mesh bag and trail alongside for 30 min. Thru-hulls will get checked and replaced as needed during haul out.

      Not much exterior bright work on the boat and that's a good thing. Got plenty else to do. Any bright work I don't paint will get "Bristol" 2 part. If you top coat every year, I always had good luck. Other than that, the hull will get 3 coat btm paint, hull above the bootstripe and decks 2 coats of "Interthane 990" As an aside, "Interthane 990" is by US Paints. The spec sheet reads the same as their Interlux 2 part except it is commercial, not marine. Same 2 part urethane, 20 stock colors, roll and tip or spray application. $50 / gal kit vs $175. Used it for the last major refit on the Escape in Panama and still in great shape when I let her go 8 years later, Have used it numerous times since on other boats with great results including deck paint with the addition of non-skid.

      Engine probably the biggest single expense. Still torn on how much I can spend and what to get. Would love a 4 stroke for the efficiency and crankcase but the expense and size will probably be prohibitive unless I luck out. As I said before, will probably re-enforce engine mount on haul out, and modify transom cutout to allow full tip-up depending on engine. Have 15hp short shaft avail that will probably work for sea trials and getting to the haul out. Any leads on suitable engine appreciated. Whether or not I can follow up will depend on current cash flow which right now is very low. Moving on to the boat will help.

      Have enjoyed reading through the posts in this group and glad I found it. Please give me any input you may feel is helpful, and I will try to return the favor in any way I can. While I am not an expert in anything, 30 years of practical cruising does lend itself to practical solutions. "What the heck are we gonna do now?"

      Regards
      Capt Couillon

      "
    • Marcus White
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
        Best of luck. Are you near the Naval Academy? I'm one river up on the Magathoy with my 69.
      • C Warren
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
          Captain Couillon,

          Perfect introduction. Clearly you have some experience. Its great to hear you share it. I also have a '69 near Fredericksburg, VA - out of the water undergoing a 1.5 year slow repair process. Interrupted by life, you know how it goes.  I'll keep a look out for an engine. And be interested to keep up with your new adventure.

          Best regards,
          Chris

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
            Sorry for the delay in updating previous post. Moved onto boat in late
            January and lost my internet connection. Hope to get Butch to get us
            online at the marina later this month.

            Still cleaning and getting settled in. Have spent many hours staring at
            interior (easy to do in Deltaville in mid-winter) deciding how to best
            set up for cruising full time. As I am (and plan to remain) solo, have
            decided to scrap v-berth as berthing space and outfit for (there is
            never enough) storage. Trying to keep bow weight within reason so will
            be primary storage for sails, lines, food, and misc clothing etc. Am
            installing foot powered seawater pump for galley sink and think existing
            freshwater tank forward will be enough for coffee and cooking. Plan to
            hardpipe a deck fill for freshwater tank.

            Found what looks to be about a 15 gal holding tank at a local
            consignment shop that should fit below the hanging locker opposite the
            head. Again with the hardpipe (1 1/2 inch pvc) between head and holding
            tank as well as deck pumpout and vent. Imhop easier than fighting stiff
            sanitary hose, and less chance of leaks and odor.

            All interior and running lights being replaced with led lighting. Twice
            the price but the reduction in power use will pay for them in reduced
            battery cost not to mention keeping then charged. No refrigeration or AC
            planned so energy budget (with all running lights / interior lights
            /electronics/autohelm) is down to around 3 amps at 12V max use, and 1/2
            of that for normal use. A couple of 180 amp/hr 6V batteries should do
            well enough. Like the 6V over a single 12 as that 120lb sucker is hard
            to move. Will use gel-cells if I can afford them as they have a twice
            the life and can stand being submerged if ( God Forbid) you get a couple
            feet of water over the cabin sole. Been pooped more than once with the
            companion way open. Planning on modifying the existing companion way
            ladder so as to mount the batteries where the bottom step currently is.
            No maint on the gel-cells so limited access not a problem. Trying to
            keep the weight low and on the centerline as much as possible. Space
            behind ladder and batteries for additional heavy storage , eg. tools,
            canned goods, and the rum supply. As primary berthing space for me is
            the quarter berth to port, proximity to the rum supply is a big plus.

            Found the Suzuki 6hp that was on the boat when she was laid up. Good
            news as the price is right. Been in dry storage so a carb cleaning and
            waterpump kit should be all it needs. Would have rather had a 4 stroke
            but the difference in price will buy a lot of gas! Still looking for a
            Simrad tiller pilot if anyone happens to have one. Haven't decided what
            to do for power generation under way... Tafrail generator would be
            great Maybe a DIY model . Still planning on solar for anchored periods.

            Now that the weather is starting to break, hope to spend some more
            productive time. Would like to drop the stick next week to check
            sheaves etc (convert to all rope halyards? ) and have been talking to
            local yard about haulout for bottom paint, depth transducer and thru
            hull servicing, Hopefully if I let them do the bottom I will be able to
            do the rest myself while on the hill. Quick 2 coats of interthane 990
            from the bootstripe to the deck at the same time. Will paint decks and
            cockpit along side the dock.

            Thanks for the interest and the comments, when we have the net up at the
            marina plan to poke up a website for the "Solitaire" that I will use to
            post pics, and logs as the adventure continues. Planned departure mid
            to late August

            Better get back to work so I can pay for my plans.

            David
          • Karl Aube
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
              David,
              I still have my Coronado 25 and raced it on San Francisco bay.  You mentioned watching bow weight in converting from bunks in the "V" birth and a thing to note that the racing rules on SF bay allowed a 200# weight to be carried in the bow to keep the boat on her lines with cockpit crew and Out board on the stern.
              Karl

              To: Coronado25@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 30, 2013
                Thanks for the info Karl.... Will be interested to see how she trims out when loaded for trip.

                Side note.. Wahoooo! now have wifi on the dock. Will make it a lot easier to stay in touch, and find misc and etc.

                Tks again
                David