Names

  • sailingmaniac
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hello.
      I have just purchased a 1970 C25 and I do not really care for the current name. Just wondering if anyone knows if there's any bad juju surrounding name changes.

      Thanks

      Mark
    • JACK EVANS

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
          Thanks Jack.

          And, congrats to you as well.

          I understand the sea of cortez is quite beautiful.
          A friend just did a big lop from san fran to mexico. then over to Hawaii and back here.
          I'm here in the pacific north west smack dab in the middle of gale force winds so, I can't take it for a week or so. Hopefully conditions down there are better.
          As for names, I thinking Vamanos 2.
          I'm painting the bottom black. I understand it inhibits growth better than lighter colors due less light reflection. Hum!!!! Thoughts?

          I'll post pics as they become available.

          Thanks again and all the best.

          --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, JACK EVANS <jacktopwater@...> wrote:

          > Hello Mark,
          >
          > I bought a 1968 C25 recently in La Paz , BCS, Mexico and will sail on the Sea of Cortez…...it was named a girls`name…..probably for the one of the previous owner´s wife so he could go sailing…..It is in the process of being redone top to bottom….It has been renamed to ¨Speedy Gonzales¨….nothing bad has happened yet ( six months now )….the only ¨juju hex¨ that I have been made aware of is….my friend and C25 Coach in New Jersey advised me not to paint the bottom blue or I will wake up in the morning with the ¨Black Spot¨in the palm of my hand. From all of my research, we have great, tough boats that were over built strength wise because fiberglass was new to the boat building business back in those days. Have fun.
          >
          > Congrats,
          > Jack
          >

          > On Dec 1, 2012, at 5:17 PM, sailingmaniac wrote:
          >
          > > Hello.
          > > I have just purchased a 1970 C25 and I do not really care for the current name. Just wondering if anyone knows if there's any bad juju surrounding name changes.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Mark

        • Marcus White
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
            I just redid my bottom this fall. It was covered in barnacles. I sanded it for 3 days then covered it with 3 coats of black antifouling paint.

            I understand the sea of cortez is quite beautiful.
            A friend just did a big lop from san fran to mexico. then over to Hawaii and back here.
            I'm here in the pacific north west smack dab in the middle of gale force winds so, I can't take it for a week or so. Hopefully conditions down there are better.
            As for names, I thinking Vamanos 2.
            I'm painting the bottom black. I understand it inhibits growth better than lighter colors due less light reflection. Hum!!!! Thoughts?

            I'll post pics as they become available.

            Thanks again and all the best.

            --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, JACK EVANS <jacktopwater@...> wrote:

            > Hello Mark,
            >
            > I bought a 1968 C25 recently in La Paz , BCS, Mexico and will sail on the Sea of Cortez…...it was named a girls`name…..probably for the one of the previous owner´s wife so he could go sailing…..It is in the process of being redone top to bottom….It has been renamed to ¨Speedy Gonzales¨….nothing bad has happened yet ( six months now )….the only ¨juju hex¨ that I have been made aware of is….my friend and C25 Coach in New Jersey advised me not to paint the bottom blue or I will wake up in the morning with the ¨Black Spot¨in the palm of my hand. From all of my research, we have great, tough boats that were over built strength wise because fiberglass was new to the boat building business back in those days. Have fun.
            >
            > Congrats,
            > Jack
            >

            > On Dec 1, 2012, at 5:17 PM, sailingmaniac wrote:
            >
            > > Hello.
            > > I have just purchased a 1970 C25 and I do not really care for the current name. Just wondering if anyone knows if there's any bad juju surrounding name changes.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Mark

          • sailingmaniac
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
              Cool.

              But, I'm letting someone else do it. They've got a deal going right now.
              Due to time limitations and a really bad neck this works better for me.
              Last time I painted a boat bottom I recall that it was a tough job.

              Mark

              --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, Marcus White <marcus_white1@...> wrote:

              > I just redid my bottom this fall. It was covered in barnacles. I sanded it for 3 days then covered it with 3 coats of black antifouling paint.

            • Superbike27
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2012
                My girlfriend and her 15 year old daughter painted the bottom of their C25  blue and it only took a couple of hours to do two coats.   What's the prob?

                Thanx

                Sam

                On Dec 1, 2012, at 7:58 PM, "sailingmaniac" <sailingmaniac@...> wrote:

                Cool.

                But, I'm letting someone else do it. They've got a deal going right now.
                Due to time limitations and a really bad neck this works better for me.
                Last time I painted a boat bottom I recall that it was a tough job.

                Mark

                --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, Marcus White <marcus_white1@...> wrote:

                > I just redid my bottom this fall. It was covered in barnacles. I sanded it for 3 days then covered it with 3 coats of black antifouling paint.

              • Marc Doheny
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Here is a link to a boat renaming cermony.
                  While some find this either ridiculous or at least in good humor, seafarers of old took sailing ships names very seriously and any renaming had to be done with great care  and ceremony.
                  My guess is this ahs been refined and updated to todays standards.

                  If nothing else it is yet another reason to have a party...

                  Marc

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2012
                    Jack,

                    If I am your "friend" in NJ you are off a couple of states!
                    Try CT!

                    So how is SG coming?
                    For some reason I cannot pull up the color charts on AwlGrip site.
                    I did talk to several paint vendors in Seattle.
                    Will check International paints next, the recommendation was a 2 part poly urethane.
                    One guy told me that Awlgrip does provide an initial very impressinve high gloss, but over time (time not defined) will chalk. I have not seen this on boats I have known to be painted with Awlgrip, some more than 5 years ago.
                    Of course they are not subjected to constant sunshine year round and are under covers, including hull for the winter layup.

                    So, have not forgetten, just put on the back burner while in Seattle and Park City.
                    Park City was absolutely amazing.
                    Their house is at 7k feet.
                    She seems happy and it is apparently very safe there, so what more can you ask for?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2012
                      Hello Marc.

                      Thanks for the info on renaming.

                      My thought regarding the bottom paint comment was like yours.
                      2 hours? Obviously that does/did not include prep time - power washing, set up of tarps (for environmental reasons as well as shelter from the wind, rain and cold) etc, scraping, fixing blisters, masking, sanding, primer, paint (how many coats?), and then there's quality. Indeed, it's unlikely the job could be done in two hours. But anything is possible. The guy at the ship yard says it will take 3-4 days. (oh, and these guys do it for a living). And I've done it before, so I kinda have an idea of what's involved. That's why I didn't respond to the comment.

                      In the end, like Mohamed, I have come to the mountain to ask questions regarding MY new boat. From what I can see, I'm in the right spot. Many nice looking boats with lots of really great ideas to choose from.

                      As for location, well like most of you, I live in the some of the best sailing grounds in the world except I happen to live in a small village in the pacific northwest. Bellingham, Washington. AKA - The city of subdued excitement. Yes, I'm a Hamster on the treadmill of life.

                      Thanks again and fair winds,

                      Mark

                      --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, Marc Doheny <marc.doheny@...> wrote:

                      > Here is a link to a boat renaming cermony.
                      > While some find this either ridiculous or at least in good humor, seafarers of old took sailing ships names very seriously and any renaming had to be done with great care  and ceremony.
                      > My guess is this ahs been refined and updated to todays standards.
                      >
                      > If nothing else it is yet another reason to have a party...
                      >
                      > http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/07/renaming/
                      >
                      > Marc
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Marc Doheny
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2012
                      • 1 Attachment
                      • 910 KB
                      Mark,

                      I am and will remain somewhat of a tradionalist.
                      Thus, my boat never has nor will it ever be renamed!

                      Also, it was my parents boat, bought new in 1969.
                      Over the years my father did a few things to it (like running all halyards and control lines aft), I have pretty much maintained it as he did.
                      Just a few things I did, replaced the main deck beam in the cabin, redid the entire bilge, new windward sheeting traveller (probably best upgrade), moved the main and jib halyards inside the mast, stripped the bottom of all paint, fixed the blisters on the keel.
                      There are bunches of other smaller ones but you get the idea.

                      Hmm, you really think the boat yard knows what it takes to do the bottom????
                      LOL
                      I don't respond much, but when I do it's because of the infrequent comments like that!

                      I pretty much know the boat stem to stern.

                      I was just out in Seattle last week.
                      Day late and a dollar short!

                      I am in CT, do all my boating on Long Island Sound.
                      Basically grew up on the boat.

                      I have attached a picture of me on my boat, a typical Long Island Sound day, light breeze!
                      We are in some respects like your area in WA, rocky shores. We are headed into a bunch of islands to meet up with some friends on a power boat for afternoon cocktails.

                      I have bunches of pictures, so if you want to see a detail of anything, let me know, chances are I have a picture.

                      Any questions feel free to drop a line.

                      Marc
                      Wind Rose

                      --- In mailto:Coronado25%40yahoogroups.com, Marc Doheny <marc.doheny@...> wrote:

                      > Here is a link to a boat renaming cermony.
                      > While some find this either ridiculous or at least in good humor, seafarers of old took sailing ships names very seriously and any renaming had to be done with great care  and ceremony.
                      > My guess is this ahs been refined and updated to todays standards.
                      >
                      > If nothing else it is yet another reason to have a party...
                      >
                      > http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/07/renaming/
                      >
                      > Marc
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • JACK EVANS

                        Message 12 of 12 , Dec 7, 2012
                          Hello again Marcus.

                          Well I've decided the name of the boat is starting to stick with me.  Seems to have a sense of antiquity.  And, like you I'm a bit of a traditionalist too.
                          Fortune has blessed more times than I can remember but last week I ran into a friend who, of course, has a friend, who happens to specialize in rigging, commisioning, deliveries and instruction.
                          He's from south africa and has an impressive resume.  He tacks care of my friends Nordic 44 when he's out of town.  In town, he has an impressive reputation.

                          His opinion is that Nola Kay is that she's in great shape for her age and looks as though she's been well cared for.
                          And, she doesn't need her bottom painted.
                          Out side of some paint, the top side look good too.  Some minor dry rot but, nothing major.
                          A bent turnbuckle that needs replacing.  Some other minor rigging issues - missing cotter pins.
                          And like you, he doesn't trust the boat yard either.  Huh!
                          The cool thing was he did it for a very modest price, FREE.

                           He's offered to help me with taking her out on her and my maiden voyage.
                          This is my first boat after all. So safety is an issue.  I can sail, but most likely I'll be single handling her.
                          So I'd like to have another person on board in case anything goes awry.
                          A couple of other friends have offered as well.

                          Thanks again for all the info,

                          Mark