Rigging

  • kpc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
      I have a black masted/boom. I've purchased a stern pulpit to put on my boat. To those of you with the adjustable splitting backstay, how is yours mounted? Do you have one?

      I'm also curious about the downhaul. How do you guys have yours set up? I'm not seeing a good way to have it done. At the moment, I have a fiberglass "boomkicker" and a vang, one pushes up while not in use, and the later seems to work as a downhaul as well. Thing is, when I wanna let the vang loose in heavy wind, I lose this dual purpose. I need a dedicated downhaul so I'm not relying on those pins.
    • kpc
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2012
        --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "kpc" <kcoyne11@...> wrote:

        > I have a black masted/boom. I've purchased a stern pulpit to put on my boat. To those of you with the adjustable splitting backstay, how is yours mounted? Do you have one?
        >
        > I'm also curious about the downhaul. How do you guys have yours set up? I'm not seeing a good way to have it done. At the moment, I have a fiberglass "boomkicker" and a vang, one pushes up while not in use, and the later seems to work as a downhaul as well. Thing is, when I wanna let the vang loose in heavy wind, I lose this dual purpose. I need a dedicated downhaul so I'm not relying on those pins.

        Someone sent me a private message asking me about this.. So i'll follow up here.

        It's a '67 with a split(adjustable) backstay. Splits about 7 feet off of the deck. Awesome for tension, shitty for wanting to put on the stock stern pulpit. I had to relocate my spinnaker blocks, ensign flag pole base to accommodate the rail. It DOES fit, albeit not flawless, it works very, very well even on our model boat. Find a stock one, you won't be disappointed. Adding this protects my solar panels a lot more. Helps keep people in the boat, and looks great.
      • Marc Doheny
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2012
          KPC,

          I have a 1969 Coronado 25 that my dad bought brand new and I still own.
          Other than a windward sheeting traveller I put on about 20 years ago, it is esentially in original condition.

          I do not have an adjustable backstay.

          But I do have info on the downhaul.
          That is very old school.
          Replaced nowadays by a fixed boom and cunningham.

          When I had a downhaul on my boom, I used a 4 part system to pull the boom down. Keep in mind that there should be a black band (or if you have a black mast a white band) indicating full hoist of the main and the tack should not go below the band. This is used only in racing, of course pleasure sailing, who cares!

          Most if not all main sails these days are built with a cunningham cringle built into the luff about 12" up from the tack.
          I have a 3 part system that attaches to the cunningham cringle and the boom is fixed at the black band.
          The cunningham comes back to the cockpit where it is cleated off.
          This is used to adjust the lower third of the luff.
          The small fold that it puts in the very bottom of the main does not affect performance.

          My vang is a 4 part rope system that also leads back to the cockpit.

          To hold the boom up I have a topping lift.
          This is just a thin piece of Vectran that goes to the end of the boom and once the sail is up, I loosen about 18" and let the tension off.

          This also works well in very light air when I want to bag out the main. Put just enough tension to put a bag in the bottom third. This also helps keep the boom up when the main can't support the weight because there is not enough wind.

          I have pictures if interested.

          Where are you located?
          I in CT just east of New Haven on Long Island Sound.

          Marc Doheny

          Wind Rose

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2012
            I'm close actually. And moving closer. Milford, in september. Boat will remain on the hudson river in orange county NY though. It took me some working, and I'm sure it's not 100% the way it was meant to be, but it works, and works great. I'll try to get some photos up this weekend. I'd love to see photos of how your boats rigging is set up. I've seen a thousand photos of our boat sailing. I got it, it floats, it has sails. Thanks. I'm here for specialized info. you know what I mean? heh. anyways.. thanks for writing.