Re: cockpit drains

  • breakawayfl
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
      That sounds like a bad idea, IMHO. The Coronado cockpit is designed to be self bailing. Any time you got into heavy weather, you would fill up your waste tank very quickly, and then have pooling water. Am I missing something here?

      --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos" <cfont67@...> wrote:

      > Did anyone ever try to run the hose for the cockpit drain to the sink drain thru hull? I am on a quest to get rid of thru hulls in order to have a smoother bottom
      >
      > --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "clayton" <claytonwbarton@> wrote:
      > >
      > > So i just got back to my boat that I had trailered. After months I opened her up and was welcomed with a few inches of water on the cabin floor. Damn I had taken the float switch out of the bilge pump circuit when I first got her because it seemed to be the reason why the pump wasn't working. I had figured some rain would get it from a couple windows and bolt leaks but didn't expect this much. I pumped the water out and was lucky nothing important was on the floor when I left. I later opened the lazarette and noticed one of the cockpit drain's tubes had disconnected itself and was now draining straight to the bilge. I thought I could just slide the tube back on the drain's barb but I realized the tubing was just stuffed up into a hole and sealed with a screen over it. This is by far the most piss poor half ass job Ive seen on the boat so far especially considering how important cockpit drains are and what happened when it failed. I am glad that it happen now on the trailer and not on the water. Anyone replace the drains by the lazarette?

    • Carlos
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
        If you are referring to my post Nelson, my sink drain is a thru hull. I just want to reroute the hose from one through hull to another so I can get rid of one of the through hulls. Looking at it recently, I'm not sure if the hose would stay pitched enough for the water to drain.

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
          Oh I understand, you're going straight out, not to the tank. What about concerns about when you are heeled to that side under sail?

          --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos" <cfont67@...> wrote:

          > If you are referring to my post Nelson, my sink drain is a thru hull. I just want to reroute the hose from one through hull to another so I can get rid of one of the through hulls. Looking at it recently, I'm not sure if the hose would stay pitched enough for the water to drain.
          >
          > --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "breakawayfl" <nelson.abreu@> wrote:
          > >
          > > That sounds like a bad idea, IMHO. The Coronado cockpit is designed to be self bailing. Any time you got into heavy weather, you would fill up your waste tank very quickly, and then have pooling water. Am I missing something here?
          > >
          > > --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos" <cfont67@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Did anyone ever try to run the hose for the cockpit drain to the sink drain thru hull? I am on a quest to get rid of thru hulls in order to have a smoother bottom

        • Truman Prewitt
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
            I don't think he a waste tank involved. But it is a long run to get clogged with all the various debris from the elements.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
              yes something to think about, I'm just a little obsessive about getting rid of thru hulls so I have a smooth bottom. Also trying to get rid of a bronze plate that is supposed to be some half fast lightning protection that might not offer any protection at all