Outboard stalling

  • Dan Gorsuch
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010
      Hello fellow sailors-

      I'm writing to hopefully get some good advice on some outboard troubles that are plaguing me this season.  I know this list is meant for the discussion of our Coronados but I figure most people who read this also have experience with outboards.

      My outboard is about 3 or 4 years old- it is a Tohatsu 9.8 Electric start.  The outboard came with the boat when I purchased it in April 2009.  It ran perfectly most of 2009 for me - with the exception of the starter fuse assembly breaking apart (cause unknown) which of course turned it into an manual pull start.  This I intended to repair in the spring and after having the boat hauled for winter the outboard remained on the transom- I think I even left some gas in it for those months, two things I will probably never do again.

      The real trouble started this spring when the boat was launched- I was not able to get the motor to start easily- and getting it to idle normally in neutral was not possible- it would only run at high speed.  It became clear that my carburetor was fouled with old gas- and since I have little experience fixing motors and I need to move my boat I paid a local mechanic who specializes in my brand motor to clean my carb and fix my broken fuse assembly.  He repaired the fuse assembly but for some reason every time a new fuse is put in it immediately shorts out.  The mechanic told me he tried to find the reason for this but was unable to find anything wrong.  He took the carb apart and cleaned it and I was able to get the boat to my own slip not far away using the pull start.  Since then I have been using gas stabilizer and running the engine out of gas at the end of every weekend but I am now back to the point where its difficult if not impossible to start the motor without the help of a second person to manipulate the throttle- even after it's warmed up.  Then once I get it running I have to adjust the idle screw to get it to idle at low enough speed to be able to shift into forward and reverse safely.  It will seem to run fine for ten or twenty minutes at the dock- idling correctly.  But then when I start motoring along - and later try to shift into neutral- it always stalls out.  This is driving me BESERK!  I am not able to run the engine a low enough speed to safely dock the boat- last weekend I very nearly smashed into my neighbors boat while trying to dock at higher than normal speed.  I am pretty sure that boat is worth more than my house, jeep and boats combined so I gotta get this fixed pronto!  Can anyone offer some suggestions on adjusting the carb etc...  Unfortunately the size of this motor makes it very hard to remove from the boat while it's in the water- or I would probably just drop it off at a marina to be fixed.  On the other hand I would feel better about it if I know how to handle these problems on my own in case I ever needed to in an emergency.

      Dan- proud owner of a 69 C25!

    • Curt
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010
        Dan,

        I have a 1983 Evinrude 9.9hp that is only running at high rpm. Though I haven't torn it apart yet I did manage to get it out of the boat by using the mainsheet as a hoist, it was a lot easier than expected and working on it out of the boat is infinitely easier. Currently I am thinking about getting a smaller engine; possibly a 3 or 4hp since I can't tilt the larger motor out of the water when not in use and with it out the stern of the boat is about 3 inches higher in the water. In the meantime I will use my trolling motor since I only do lake sailing. Anyway I am sure that wasn't helpful at all but I will let you know what I find out when I rebuild the carb.

        Curt

        --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, Dan Gorsuch <dangorsuch@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > into forward and reverse safely. It will seem to run fine for ten or twenty
        > minutes at the dock- idling correctly. But then when I start motoring along -
        > and later try to shift into neutral- it always stalls out. This is driving me
        > BESERK! I am not able to run the engine a low enough speed to safely dock the
        > boat- last weekend I very nearly smashed into my neighbors boat while trying to
        > dock at higher than normal speed. I am pretty sure that boat is worth more than
        > my house, jeep and boats combined so I gotta get this fixed pronto! Can anyone
        > offer some suggestions on adjusting the carb etc... Unfortunately the size of
        > this motor makes it very hard to remove from the boat while it's in the water-
        > or I would probably just drop it off at a marina to be fixed. On the other hand
        > I would feel better about it if I know how to handle these problems on my own in

      • ottis jacobs
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010
          my advice you don't want to hear--get someone to help you, tie a safety rope onthe engine and get it out of the engine compartment and to a qualified shop--the compartment is too small to work on anything well much less a motor of your size and once you get things under control your lessons on gas and stabilizer should help in the future--could be fuel filter/screen problems but I think you would be most happy by biting the bullet--pick a cooler calm day get it out of there and properly repaired--the electrical short should not be hard to find for a competent mechanic if the fuse always blows as soon as one is installed.  PS I now use a smaller fuel tank to keep fuel fresh--I fill the bigger one only on planned long trips and use the left over to transfer to the smaller one for weekends---having enough fuel on board for the whole season at spring is asking for trouble because it is too difficult/painful to properly dispose of old fuel due to regs and the cost of it these days--smaller tank--more often purchases is the best in my opinion for gasoline.

          good luck

          Ottis
          c25 c/b
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
            I would defintely recommend removing it from the boat. Its hard to work on it when its on the boat. Not only is it hard to get to, when you work on it anything you drop will go in the water. If you are working on it yourself I'd recommend starting with the easy fixes first. Getting a repair book for the motor is a good idea also. I would take the carb apart, and soak it in carb cleaner. Check the tank for any deposits also and replace the fuel filter if equipped. The spark plugs are the next easiest thing to replace. Make sure you get the right plugs and gap them correctly. Last I would get a cleaner to remove deposits in the cylinders, anything still wrong after these fixes would require a repair shop. In my experience though the carb is usually the problem and after a good soak of the parts, fixes the problem. I have a 1984 johnson 9.9 xl shaft that I bought for cheap and fixed up. It had the same starting problems which mostly cleared up after replacing the plugs and cleaning the carb. I also installed remote controls which gave me better control of the motor and it is now a reliable engine.
          • ToddS
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
              I agree with everyone that you should get the motor off the boat to work on it.
              Next, if you are mechanically inclined, buy the manual. They have excellent trouble shooting sections in the seloc manuals. I would guess that there is a fuel issue since it won't idle. Don't run gas with ethanol. You will be constantly cleaning your carb and fuel pump because the ethanol degrades any plastic it touches. My business partner has bought several motors with this type of problem and it is always crud in the carb.

              The starter problem is easier. Remove the starter and test it off the motor. If it works off, then chase down the wiring. If it doesn't, have it rebuilt or replaced. (if you don't know how to test it, take it to an auto parts store that tests starters)

              If you decide to do the work yourself, definitely get the right manual.

            • Curt
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16, 2010
                Dan

                I finally cleaned the carb and my motor now runs great. Check the album "VAGABOND" for pictures. There were a couple of lessons learned though. I probably should have bought a manual but I found a good resource online. And I felt confident that I wouldn't completely destroy the motor.

                First don't soak the plastic parts of the carb in cleaner. When I did it the float pin froze up and it took me an hour of trying to start the motor before I finally took the carb back off to realize it was stuck. My fix was to cut a drill bit in half for a replacement(I know I should have bought a carb kit but I am cheap and have a lot of time on my hands).

                Second, if you are going to run it in a barrel full of water make sure you clean all of the algae out of the exhaust. I apparently did not and when I finally had the motor warmed up and tuned I went to shut it off and noticed the "pee stream" trickle to nothing. I think some of the algae was sucked in and clogged the impeller. So now I have the complete lower unit apart to replace the impeller though I found no evidence of this.

                Also, I should add that even though I didn't buy the manual I did do quite a bit of research about my engine (mostly on the aforementioned website) and probably wouldn't have been so successful or have been more unsuccessful without it.

                Anyway, sorry about the long post with seemingly little information but I hope you get your motor running soon. They seem more frustrating than anything.

                Curt

                --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "ToddS" <landlocked@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > into forward and reverse safely. It will seem to run fine for ten or twenty
                > > minutes at the dock- idling correctly. But then when I start motoring along -
                > > and later try to shift into neutral- it always stalls out. This is driving me
                > > BESERK! I am not able to run the engine a low enough speed to safely dock the
                > > boat- last weekend I very nearly smashed into my neighbors boat while trying to
                > > dock at higher than normal speed. I am pretty sure that boat is worth more than
                > > my house, jeep and boats combined so I gotta get this fixed pronto! Can anyone
                > > offer some suggestions on adjusting the carb etc... Unfortunately the size of
                > > this motor makes it very hard to remove from the boat while it's in the water-
                > > or I would probably just drop it off at a marina to be fixed. On the other hand
                > > I would feel better about it if I know how to handle these problems on my own in

              • canuck55
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 2010
                  It has useful information: perseverance sometimes pays off; be careful what you use to clean parts; make sure all movable parts do move with little friction; pay attention to the smallest details.

                  ALL of this is important information.

                  -
                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 9, 2010
                    Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I am far from mechanically inclined so I had to bite the bullet and had the carb rebuilt with a kit a by a professional. It's been running perfectly the last few weekends and I have learned to be more cautious about the age of the gas I am using and I always run the the motor out of when I plan not using it for a couple days or more.

                    As a side note I sure was glad the motor was working last weekend as it was probably the best sailing conditions we have had so far this year on the Chesapeake! (at least on weekend anyway!) Thanks Hurricane Earl!

                    Dan