Welcome to the group.

  • graham
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 25, 2008
      I have just started this group,feels a bit odd posting on a site with
      no other members so please feel free to sign on and help get it off the
      ground.

      Our boat is "Banjo" a 1973 Coronado 25 (original name "Boro")built by
      Play Visa in Spain.We have only owned her since March 2008 and have
      sailed her on Cardiff Bay where she is moored and to
      Watchet ,Portishead ,Weston super Mare and Bristol.

      Looking forward to seeing other people on here. Cheers Graham
    • philmbray2001
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 26, 2008
        Hi All,

        My name is Phil Bray and I own Lucy, a C25 based in Swansea. Like
        Banjo, Lucy was also built in Spain and is now 35 years old. She
        proved early on to be a safe, seaworthy and quite nimble vessel and
        sails around Swansea and Gower with the occasional foray across to
        Ilfracombe. Unfortunately she hasn't done much for the past two
        seasons due to work and weather. But we all live in hope!

        Phil
      • graham
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 27, 2008
          Hi Phil great to see you on here,hopefully it will grow as people
          find out about the group.

          I think you will enjoy having a roller headsail now.I know they dont
          set quite as well but being able to reef the genoa quickly from the
          safety of the cockpit makes it worth it in my opinion.

          We had hoped to visit Swansea this year but the long spell of bad
          weather didnt help plus were still doing work on the boat .Our
          confidence in Banjo has grown a lot and were quite surprised at how
          well she sails.

          Cheers Graham

          --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "philmbray2001"
          <philmbray2001@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > My name is Phil Bray and I own Lucy, a C25 based in Swansea. Like
          > Banjo, Lucy was also built in Spain and is now 35 years old. She
          > proved early on to be a safe, seaworthy and quite nimble vessel and
          > sails around Swansea and Gower with the occasional foray across to
          > Ilfracombe. Unfortunately she hasn't done much for the past two
          > seasons due to work and weather. But we all live in hope!
          >
          > Phil

        • world_in_chaos
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 4, 2008
            Hi Graham and everyone else,

            Thanks for starting this site! I have been hoping for an active
            Coronado forum with a better interface than the coronadosailboats.com
            forum. This will hopefully work really well.

            I recently bought my boat in mid September 08, and in the past month
            and a half I have replaced the sails, running rigging and (added) an
            interior. Yes, added. One of the previous owners had completely
            stripped out the galley, forward bulkhead, cabinetry, closet, head,
            and cushions. I have lots of great stories about the things that have
            been done to this boat, in only a month and a half of fixing her up.

            For instance, I recently went about replacing the sails, and found a
            crisp original Coronado 25 sail. But when I got back to rig it, I
            found that it was about 16 inches longer on the foot than the boom! I
            was always suspicious of the tiny sail that was there. And the jib was
            like an 80%. Now I'm at a 140%-150% Genoa. And did I mention that the
            two large windows/portlights on either side have been combined into
            one GIANT window on either side?

            Needless to say, Graham, your site documenting the projects on Banjo
            has been amazingly valuable to me in regards to all the photographs.
            Today or tomorrow after work I will post my own pictures of The Flying
            Squirrel, as I have dubbed her.

            Regards,

            Peter Scranton
            196? Coronado 25 - The Flying Squirrel
            1973 Hobie 16 - The Hungry Hungry Hippo
            1983 Hobie 14 Turbo - The Abominable Snowman

            --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "graham" <graham_hodges@...> wrote:

            > I have just started this group,feels a bit odd posting on a site
            with
            > no other members so please feel free to sign on and help get it off
            the
            > ground.
            >
            > Our boat is "Banjo" a 1973 Coronado 25 (original name "Boro")built
            by
            > Play Visa in Spain.We have only owned her since March 2008 and have
            > sailed her on Cardiff Bay where she is moored and to
            > Watchet ,Portishead ,Weston super Mare and Bristol.
            >
            > Looking forward to seeing other people on here. Cheers Graham

          • ask nicely
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 4, 2008
              Hay, Peter, welcome.
              it seems I meet someone awhile back with the same name, but my I
              cann't remember where, or when. must be old age. lol.
              if you want, I would be greatful if you could post some of your
              adventures, on my group also.
              I sent an email to someone with an ad for Coronado 25 for a friend
              tonight. if it pans out I may be asking for a lot more advice here.
              Bill

              --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "world_in_chaos"
              <peter.scranton@...> wrote:

              > Hi Graham and everyone else,
              >
              > Thanks for starting this site! I have been hoping for an active
              > Coronado forum with a better interface than the
              coronadosailboats.com
              > forum. This will hopefully work really well.
              >
              > I recently bought my boat in mid September 08, and in the past
              month
              > and a half I have replaced the sails, running rigging and (added)
              an
              > interior. Yes, added. One of the previous owners had completely
              > stripped out the galley, forward bulkhead, cabinetry, closet, head,
              > and cushions. I have lots of great stories about the things that
              have
              > been done to this boat, in only a month and a half of fixing her
              up.

              > For instance, I recently went about replacing the sails, and found
              > crisp original Coronado 25 sail. But when I got back to rig it, I
              > found that it was about 16 inches longer on the foot than the boom!
              > was always suspicious of the tiny sail that was there. And the jib
              was
              > like an 80%. Now I'm at a 140%-150% Genoa. And did I mention that
              the
              > two large windows/portlights on either side have been combined into
              > one GIANT window on either side?
              >
              > Needless to say, Graham, your site documenting the projects on
              Banjo
              > has been amazingly valuable to me in regards to all the
              photographs.
              > Today or tomorrow after work I will post my own pictures of The
              Flying
              > Squirrel, as I have dubbed her.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Peter Scranton
              > 196? Coronado 25 - The Flying Squirrel
              > 1973 Hobie 16 - The Hungry Hungry Hippo
              > 1983 Hobie 14 Turbo - The Abominable Snowman
              >
              > --- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "graham" <graham_hodges@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have just started this group,feels a bit odd posting on a site
              > with
              > > no other members so please feel free to sign on and help get it
              off
              > the
              > > ground.
              > >
              > > Our boat is "Banjo" a 1973 Coronado 25 (original name "Boro")
              built
              > by
              > > Play Visa in Spain.We have only owned her since March 2008 and
              have
              > > sailed her on Cardiff Bay where she is moored and to
              > > Watchet ,Portishead ,Weston super Mare and Bristol.
              > >
              > > Looking forward to seeing other people on here. Cheers Graham

            • bjwebb217
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 4, 2008
                The Coronado 25 I just bought is about the same way. They removed the
                galley, head and most of the original trim. Do you have any pictures
                of your rebuild? I'm still getting ideas for what I want to do with
                the galley and I love looking at other 25's

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Well, I posted the photos in "The Flying Squirrel - 'Before'" album.
                  Get ready for a long post. You may want some coffee first.

                  However, as the title states, this is how I got her, not post-rebuild.
                  The previous owners bought her only 3 months before me, and they
                  didn't even know what boat it was. They also had never sailed or I
                  think seen a sailboat, so they fixed it up with those tiles, and then
                  painted everything, including the wood trim, a crisp white.

                  So speaking of them not knowing what boat it was, I can't find a hull
                  ID anywhere on the boat, and most Coronado's I've seen have slightly
                  different shapes to the forward hatch and bow deck. My only knowledge
                  is that the stern says Mar Del Plata (Argentina), which means it could
                  possibly be a Spanish-built Coronado as well.

                  I will take pictures of the rebuild sometime this week or weekend (I
                  have been meaning to for awhile), and post them pretty soon. But in
                  regards to what I have been/ am/ planning on doing, this is a
                  synopsis:

                  1. Replaced all running rigging, bought used Coronado 150% Genoa,
                  mainsail. Added boomvang, cunningham, 4:1 outhaul, better mainsheet
                  system, new genoa track cars.
                  2. Made friends with a boat salvage yard owner, called me when a
                  beautiful 1972 Coronado 25 came in for scrapping. I would have just
                  taken that boat, but unfortunately he had already ripped the lead out
                  of the keel. Instead, for $150 I got all the teak and mahogany
                  interior. And I mean all- galley, both bulkheads, cabinetry, trim,
                  panelling, exterior trim, as well as everything else I could take off
                  the boat, including the new boom I needed, more sails, cleats, and
                  knick knacks.
                  3. Installed galley, forward bulkhead (both sides), and have almost
                  finished the closet and head areas. Need to put up wood and material
                  trims, as well as hook up hoses and electrical. Need to do some
                  painting touch-up on the interior, and the girlfriend is going to
                  reupholster the cushions soon.
                  4. Replaced sliding hatch with other boats' hatch, and rebedding slide
                  rails this weekend, along with stern pulpit which will be welded once
                  in place.
                  5. Next few months: Sand and paint deck and topsides. Then, haul out,
                  and do a thorough bottom job with painting. Minor work to engine
                  lazarette. Replace and rebed/seal both giant windows as well as the 4
                  portlights. Add jiffy reefing components, and run that and halyards
                  back to cockpit.

                  And of course, there are about 100 more things I want to do, but these
                  are the ones in the near future of 5 months.
                  Interestingly enough, typing that out was done partly as a reality
                  check and self-update.

                  - Peter.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 5, 2008
                    weeeell looking at the pics you posted and thepic in the header of
                    this group, I notice that they both have a winch mount next to the
                    cockpit, but the bow area and the forward sectoin looks like there
                    should be a bow pulpit there. how thick is the fiberglass on transom?
                    have you measured the O.A.L. of the boat? just wondering if you have
                    the Coronado 23 MKII..I think they were only made like for one year.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2008
                      Hi Peter welcome to the group. I looked at your pictures of Flying
                      Squirrel.The cockpit and cabin area look very similar to our boat
                      Banjo but the foredeck is radically different.Certainly looks
                      practical with loads of extra width to stand on .There arent many
                      coronados here in Britain (I have only ever seen 2 or 3) . cheers
                      Graham--- In Coronado25@yahoogroups.com, "world_in_chaos"

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2008
                        So unfortunately she has a LOA of 24'11", and a beam of about 78",
                        which along with the fixed keel seems to make her a Coronado 25, but
                        if there were any Avalon 25's made with a fixed keel, that could be
                        another option. The only place on the boat that I have not
                        investigated in detail is the transom, but if that was in regards to
                        it being a 23MKII, then it may not help. I have looked in all of the
                        known places for the ID plate, but to no avail. I took a complete
                        interior out of a 1972 Coronado 25 to swap in, and the galley fit
                        flawlessly, while everything else fit with only 1/2" or so trimming to
                        certain edges. This makes me fairly confident that she is a Coronado,
                        but without the ID plate, who knows.

                        I should be able to catch her in daylight tomorrow afternoon or
                        Saturday, and then I will certainly take detailed pictures of
                        everything and post them.

                        Peter

                      • world_in_chaos
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 6, 2008
                          Yeah I do really enjoy the way the foredeck area is shaped, with the
                          exception of the raised forward hatch. All the Coronados I've seen
                          around King Harbor (there are like 8-10 that I know of), have the
                          flush hatch in the front, and the other foredeck design. That hatch,
                          not being flush, acts like a tiny little ledge to trip on whenever you
                          want to walk around up there. But I have been finding the giant
                          modified windows on the sides to be incredibly pleasant when under
                          sail, being right at the waterline and very scenic. Now I just have to
                          replace them so that I am sure they will never leak.
                          And once again Graham, thanks for all the pics on your site. Keep it
                          up. It's been completely invaluable to me.
                          - Peter

                        • world_in_chaos
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
                            I added updated photos of the rebuild process. The interior is
                            installed, I just need to put in the trim everywhere which is the most
                            difficult part since the main bulkheads and cabinsides are the part
                            that is different from the 1972 Coronado I took everything from. Also,
                            you can see the stern pulpit and items I changed along with some of my
                            rigging additions. (I'm currently looking for deck organizers, and
                            then I can finish everything by running all lines aft to the cockpit.

                            Hope this all helps in your rebuild. If you want pictures of something
                            else, let me know and I can just email them to you.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
                              Kewl deal..
                              you might be better off to just by some molding at Lowes and make
                              all new trim for your boat. it seems like you could get some nice
                              fake wood there now that will last forever. I was thinking that if I
                              ever replace mine that will be the rout I take.
                              you have a great looking ship.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
                                Yeah I've been thinking about that recently because I need a door to
                                separate the head and vee berth area, and I want to do that before I
                                do the trim, but with it in my mind. I am thinking about building a
                                tri-fold door to hide to starboard, but I'm not quite sure how I want
                                to do it. The accordion doors at Home Depot and ACE near me are all
                                really cheap looking plastic things, so I might just use some leftover
                                mahogany from the rebuild and make something. Anyway, im rambling as
                                usual but the bottom line is that i will need some trim for all of
                                that and I might just buy some.

                                Peter

                              • ask nicely
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
                                  your not rambling..this it boat talk..lol.
                                  I have three narrow luvered doors,,each about 2 feet wide 5.5 feet
                                  tall wood, looks like pine, stained to look like Mohogany. they are
                                  some that I pulled from an old house that I help a guy re model.
                                  they were closet doors made to set on a track, but the owner had the
                                  set up as small single closet doors.I put them in my tin barn and
                                  that's where they stayed for the last 2 years. if you want them they
                                  are yours.

                                  <peter.scranton@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  the
                                  > > most
                                  > > > difficult part since the main bulkheads and cabinsides are the
                                  > part
                                  > > > that is different from the 1972 Coronado I took everything
                                  from.
                                  > > Also,
                                  > > > you can see the stern pulpit and items I changed along with
                                  some
                                  > of
                                  > > my
                                  > > > rigging additions. (I'm currently looking for deck organizers,
                                  and
                                  > > > then I can finish everything by running all lines aft to the
                                  > > cockpit.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hope this all helps in your rebuild. If you want pictures of
                                  > > something
                                  > > > else, let me know and I can just email them to you.

                                • world_in_chaos
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
                                    Well I found closet doors like that at Home Depot, but the problem was
                                    that they wouldn't tuck away very far at the bottom. I'm currently
                                    brainstorming on another cool idea, which will be much like using
                                    drawer tracks to extend two door pieces horizontally, so that they
                                    only have to be half or a third of the width of the door jamb to tuck
                                    away behind the starboard bulkhead. However, the door wont be flush
                                    and the tracks will be visible, so I don't know how I feel about it.

                                    But thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind in case my final
                                    project involves it. Right now those are sort of on the back burner
                                    since I only have 3 free weekends between now and christmas, and I
                                    want to finish up all the rigging changes, as well as reupholster my
                                    cushions and sunbrella cover everything. Here in LA we don't get much
                                    of a winter, but the rain we actually do get starts right around
                                    christmas, and I want things covered by then.

                                    Peter