Re: Reboot Jobs

  • tmywonghk
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi Pat,

      The 'shutdown' command can reboot the Windows platform server. But
      how do I know the reboot is successful or not in Control-M.

      Regards,
      Tommy Wong

      --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, pat_hicok@s... wrote:

      > Laurie,
      >
      > I issue the following and the job ends prior to the reboot
      occuring:

      > shutdown /r /f /t 060 /c "Scheduled Reboot Process"
      >
      > If you are uncertain of the exact syntax, issue
      >
      > shutdown /?
      >
      > and view the output for switch details.
      >
      > However, On Windows 2003 Server theres is a problem with a fix.
      Please
      > visit:
      >
      > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820524
      >
      > This happens because Control-M uses the AT command to issue the
      command to
      > Windows, and there is a known problem with AT and Shutdown working
      > together. I just added an enviroment variable of "/?", and it
      works now.

      > Any other version (and I know we run others, just can't think of
      what they
      > are), just look for the "time" switch and set it high enough that
      the job
      > can return back before the actual reboot occurs.
      >
      > If you need further clarification, contact me offline. We reboot
      80+
      > windows servers this way.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Pat Hicok
      > Spartan Stores
      >

      > "lauriekenley"

      <lauriekenley@yah

      oo.com> To
      X@yahoogroups.com
      > 02/23/2005
      11:20 cc

      AM

      Subject
      > [Control-X] Reboot
      Jobs
      > Please respond
      > Control-
      X@yahoogr

      oups.com

    • pat_hicok@spartanstores.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
        Tommy,

        Our approach is to run a job after the 'reboot' job. This job will reset
        the Quantitative Resources for the particular node back to '20'. Since all
        jobs require '1' of these, jobs won't begin to run. The PRECMD is '_sleep
        600'. This will allow the job to wait 10 minutes before changing the
        resources on Control-M back to normal.

        I am getting ready to roll out a series of reboots on 75 remote locations.
        My planned approach is to add an additional job that then runs a modified
        version of "ctm_diag_comm". If the agent is available, it will return a
        '0', if not, it will return a '124'. Since a OSCOMPSTAT of 124 will cause
        a failure, I will know the agent isn't available, and quite possibly the
        reboot had issues. This will be necessary as the main reason for these
        reboots is to apply maintenance and patches to programs and operating
        systems that have been sent down. As we know, these types of events can
        cause all sorts of issues, including--but not limited to--BSOD. This may
        allow us to know in a timely manner whether the server actually came back
        on-line to the network.

        I think this is a sound approach. But I am always open for ideas and
        comments to help make it better. If anyone has any, please do let me know.

        Regards,
        Pat Hicok
        Spartan Stores

        "tmywonghk"
        <tmywonghk@yahoo.
        com.hk> To
        Control-X@yahoogroups.com
        03/01/2005 09:31 cc
        AM
        Subject
        [Control-X] Re: Reboot Jobs
        Please respond to
        Control-X@yahoogr
        oups.com

        Hi Pat,

        The 'shutdown' command can reboot the Windows platform server. But
        how do I know the reboot is successful or not in Control-M.

        Regards,
        Tommy Wong

        --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, pat_hicok@s... wrote:

        > Laurie,
        >
        > I issue the following and the job ends prior to the reboot
        occuring:

        > shutdown /r /f /t 060 /c "Scheduled Reboot Process"
        >
        > If you are uncertain of the exact syntax, issue
        >
        > shutdown /?
        >
        > and view the output for switch details.
        >
        > However, On Windows 2003 Server theres is a problem with a fix.
        Please
        > visit:
        >
        > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820524
        >
        > This happens because Control-M uses the AT command to issue the
        command to
        > Windows, and there is a known problem with AT and Shutdown working
        > together. I just added an enviroment variable of "/?", and it
        works now.

        > Any other version (and I know we run others, just can't think of
        what they
        > are), just look for the "time" switch and set it high enough that
        the job
        > can return back before the actual reboot occurs.
        >
        > If you need further clarification, contact me offline. We reboot
        80+
        > windows servers this way.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Pat Hicok
        > Spartan Stores
        >

        > "lauriekenley"

        <lauriekenley@yah

        oo.com> To
        X@yahoogroups.com
        > 02/23/2005
        11:20 cc

        AM

        Subject
        > [Control-X] Reboot
        Jobs
        > Please respond
        > Control-
        X@yahoogr

        oups.com

      • mkeey@footlocker.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005

          Tommy & Pat,
          What we have done to ensure the reboots are complete, is we've created a
          script that will run the ctm_ping utility as a batch job.  The script will:
          1 - sleep for 60 seconds
          2 - issue a ping for the server
                  a - if the ping is successful, script continues to #3
                  b - if ping is not successful, it will repeat the ping after a 15 second sleep,
                  c - after 10 attempts, job will abend and shout to ECS for operator intervention
                        or callout
          3 - issue a ctmping for the control-m agent
                  a - if the ping is successful, script continues to #4
                  b - if ping is not successful, it will repeat the ping after a 15 second sleep
                  c - after 10 attempts, job will abend and shout to ECS for operator intervention.
                        or callout
          4 - job ends okay and adds out condition or resets QR's & shouts to EM that
               the reboot is complete.

          The sleep jobs (of 600 in your example) work fine, but we were able to reduce our
          reboot time from 12 minutes a server to 3 minutes a server.  That is quite a time
          savings when you're talking about 50 - 75 servers.  BTW - This process works for
          both Windows and AIX Control-M/Agents.

          Marty Keey

          Foot Locker Corporate Services, Inc.
          7800 West Brown Deer Road
          Milwaukee, WI  53223
          414-357-1480

          Visit us on-line at footlocker.com.

          The information in this e-mail, and any attachment therein, is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your computer. Although the Company attempts to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.