Upgrading machine & using HACMP (Control-M)

  • Greg Dolgner
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2001
      We are currently on a RS6000 - R50 and were upgrading to a RS6000 - B80 using AIX 4.3.3. We are going to use the B80 as the primary system and the R50 as a backup if the B80 go's down. There is some software we are using called HACMP which checks if the system is up and alive. If the system go's down it should switch to the R50. The problem am having is when you stop HACMP for a reboot it changes the IP address during the boot and Control-M loses track of the stop of HACMP. After the system finishes the reboot Control-M doesn't start and on the GUI interface the stop of HACMP is still yellow and thinks it's still running. Is anyone using HACMP to fail over to a backup system & how do you fail over?
    • Greg Dolgner
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2001
        We are currently on a RS6000 - R50 and were upgrading to a RS6000 - B80 using AIX 4.3.3. We are going to use the B80 as the primary system and the R50 as a backup if the B80 go's down. There is some software we are using called HACMP which checks if the system is up and alive. If the system go's down it should switch to the R50. The problem am having is when you stop HACMP for a reboot it changes the IP address during the boot and Control-M loses track of the stop of HACMP. After the system finishes the reboot Control-M doesn't start and on the GUI interface the stop of HACMP is still yellow and thinks it's still running. Is anyone using HACMP to fail over to a backup system & how do you fail over?
      • Albert Kamugisha
        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2001
          Depending on your HACMP setup, you can include start routines in the
          HACMP configuration to do a takeover of the system on failure.
          I believe what is happening is that, the system boots to the boot ip,
          waiting for the cluster manager to be started on the secondary box.
          Please check you ip configuration as well as the routines that you
          are
          running upon a system restart. You may be intending to move the
          scheduling resources top the R50 server where the B80 is lost
          but the setup on R50 does not indicate that the services
          needs to be taken over at this point.

          Option 'graceful with takeover' on primary server can confirm the
          takeup of resources of backup server for you. If this does not work,
          please revisit the setup on the secondary server.

          Albert

          -