Re: [Control-X] Sybase database growing up more and more.

  • Sharon Young
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 5:35 PM

      Hi Boris,

      I'm not sure if you have the same issue as us. But when we upgraded from 224 to 610
      we found that we had to increase our DB 50Mb every month. I placed a problem with BMC
      Helpdesk and they issued me with the following fix.(se Below)

      Detailed Description of Issue:  Ever since we have  upgrade from V224 to V6.1.01.04 our Database seems to be filling VERY QUICKLY.   At migration time we made the new DB on V610 3 times the size of our  original version on V224.  In the past 2 months I have had to increase  the DB twice.  Jan 16 - 50mb and again Feb 2 - another 50mb.  It is  now telling me I need to increase it again.
      We clean out Conditions daily (currently 300 rows) and it always  hovers around this number so it's not a build up of conditions.  At NEW DAY the DB goes back down to  88% (from 90%) When I add 50MB it goes to round 79%.

      Hope this helps.
      Sharon.

      From BMC:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Hi Sharon,

      You problem will be database fragmentation as described below:

      Resolution ID: 166063
      Type: FIX
      Date Entered: 2003-11-05 16:05:42.0

      Applicable Products and Versions
      No Products are currently attached to this Resolution.

      Symptom/Question
      Why does the size of my Sybase 12 Database continue to increase even though
      few or no new jobs have been added, is it becoming fragmented?

      Additional Problem or Contact Information
      Sybase 12 Database continue to increase even though few or no new jobs have
      been added fragmentation is occurring

      Resolution

      Get Formatted Fix
      Product

      Control-M/Server using Sybase 12

      Applicable Versions

      6.1.01
      6.1.00
      6.0.05
      6.0.03

      Explanation of the Error/Overview

      Beginning with Sybase 12, there is a new option that prevents row level
      locking when two processes are accessing the same record. The purpose of
      this new mode is to avoid Deadlocks.

      Prior to this option, messages similar to Deadlock Victim could be found in
      the Sybase errorlog. Once this option has been applied, you will not see
      these messages.

      As the core engine of Sybase ASE has not been re-designed, the
      implementation of this ability is the cause for a possible data
      fragmentation. Data Fragmentation results in more disk pages being utilized
      and subsequently, less free space available for the same amount of jobs.

      The workaround provided below is based on Sybase utilities that can
      defragment Sybase indicies without making the database unavailable to users.
      There is no need to shutdown Control-M/Server when performing this
      operation.

      For additional technical details, see the documentation here.

      Solution

      Step 1:

      Login to the Control-M/Server as the Control-M/Server user.

      Step 2:

      Download the the following files by clicking on them one-by-one to your
      desktop and then follow the steps below to move the files to the appropriate
      directories on the Control-M/Server:
      reorg.sql
      ctmreindex

      If you have problems downloading these file, use the links below:
      ftp://ftp.bmc.com/pub/control-m/opensystem/Sybase12/reorg.sql
      ftp://ftp.bmc.com/pub/control-m/opensystem/Sybase12/ctmreindex

      Step 3:

      Copy the ctmreindex file to the $HOME/ctm/scripts directory

      Step 4:

      Set the execution permissions on the ctmreindex script using the following
      command:
      chmod 755 $HOME/ctm/scripts/ctmreindex

      Step 5:

      Copy the reorg.sql file to the $HOME/ctm/sql directory

      Step 6:

      Install the reindexing stored procedure by executing the following command:
      sql -i$HOME/ctm/sql/reorg.sql

      When the command completes, you will be returned to a command prompt. If you
      receive any errors, note the error verbatim and contact BMC Support.

      Step 7:

      Invoke the reindexing procedure by executing the following command:
      $HOME/ctm/scripts/ctmreindex

      When the command completes, you will be returned to a command prompt. If you
      receive any errors, note the error verbatim and contact BMC Support.

      Step 8:

      Schedule a job once every two weeks that will run the ctmreindex script at a
      time where the Control-M/Server is least active.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Please respond to Control-X@yahoogroups.com

      To:        "'Control-X@yahoogroups.com'" <Control-X@yahoogroups.com>
      cc:
      Subject:        [Control-X] Sybase database growing up more and more.

      Hello,

      We use here Control-M 6.1.01.04 with EM 6.1.02.06 on sybase DBs.
      Our database is growing all the week. After each mainday, the DB is getting smaller but each day, it's bigger than the previous one.

      In the conf parameters, the days retained by Ctrl M is set to 1, so this is really strange. I've to tell you that we moved EM to FP6 last week end, but I'm not conviced of a link between that and our prob.

      Sometime during the day, when we ask for a log or for an hold on a job, it take a lot of time as if the gateway was hanging. We have many cyclic jobs with short time delay.

      Has somone any clue about this ?
      How can I tune up my server ?

      Thx for your help.
      ( Michiel, I don't want to add more than 3 cases per day :-) )

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Larry Sabados (IT)
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3 5:29 AM
        Hello-

        We're still at CONTROL-M/Server 224 (Unix AIX) with Sybase 12.  Would we be able to defrag, as described, also?  Thanks.

        -Larry

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3 5:44 AM
          --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, Bielecki Boris <boris.bielecki@g...>
          wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > We use here Control-M 6.1.01.04 with EM 6.1.02.06 on sybase DBs.
          > Our database is growing all the week. After each mainday,
          > the DB is getting smaller but each day, it's bigger than the
          > previous one.
          >
          > In the conf parameters, the days retained by Ctrl M is set to 1,
          > so this is really strange. I've to tell you that we moved EM to
          > FP6 last week end, but I'm not conviced of a link between that
          > and our prob.
          >
          > Sometime during the day, when we ask for a log or for an hold on
          > a job, it take a lot of time as if the gateway was hanging.
          > We have many cyclic jobs with short time delay.
          >
          > Has somone any clue about this ?
          > How can I tune up my server ?

          You might look at FD5291 Patch for EM Sybase 12.0 (from 12.0.0.0 to
          12.0.0.7) and FD5358 Sybase 12.0 Critical_Patch.

          Espesially the last one is supposed to handle uncontrolled growth in
          the DB.

          --
          Stein Arne Storslett
        • Bielecki Boris
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4 2:50 AM
            RE: [Control-X] Re: Sybase database growing up more and more.

            Thanks for your informations.
            We already passaed the first one but the second one is for a lower version of Ctrl-M than ours.
            back to this case, support asked us to drop/recreate an index on IOALOG and JOBINF tables.
            Then we had to clean manually the tables until we reached an acceptable data volume.
            Now every thing seems to ba OK.
            We have now to schedule a reorgindex job every day.
            But all this was already done 6 month ago, and the problem went back.
            We're still working on this.
            i will keep you informed.

            > We use here Control-M 6.1.01.04 with EM 6.1.02.06 on sybase DBs.
            > Our database is growing all the week. After each mainday,
            > the DB is getting smaller but each day, it's bigger than the
            > previous one.
            >
            > In the conf parameters, the days retained by Ctrl M is set to 1,
            > so this is really strange. I've to tell you that we moved EM to
            > FP6 last week end, but I'm not conviced of a link between that
            > and our prob.
            >
            > Sometime during the day, when we ask for a log or for an hold on
            > a job, it take a lot of time as if the gateway was hanging.
            > We have many cyclic jobs with short time delay.
            >
            > Has somone any clue about this ?
            > How can I tune up my server ?

            You might look at FD5291 Patch for EM Sybase 12.0 (from 12.0.0.0 to
            12.0.0.7) and FD5358 Sybase 12.0 Critical_Patch.

            Espesially the last one is supposed to handle uncontrolled growth in
            the DB.

            --
            Stein Arne Storslett

            Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/fXFolB/TM

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/