Multiple Agents on NT/Windows2000 Machines

  • Lar
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 5:44 AM
      Hello,
      I'm running the 2.24.03 CONTROL-M/Agent on a slew of NT and
      Windows2000 servers. On some servers I would like to have more than
      one Agent (some servers are devlopment but we need a production Agent
      on it to run backups (from out production CONTROL-M/Server), and yet
      another agent to run jobs from our development CONTROL-M/Server. Has
      anyone every successfully accomplished anything like this?
      Thanks

      -Larry Sabados
      Borders Group Inc
    • Tom.Westbrook
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 11:37 AM
        I haven't tried it, but I don't think you can do that, since the
        installations would overwrite the files and config settings (incl. registry
        entries) of the previous installation.

        I'm running the 2.24.03 CONTROL-M/Agent on a slew of NT and
        Windows2000 servers. On some servers I would like to have more than
        one Agent (some servers are devlopment but we need a production Agent
        on it to run backups (from out production CONTROL-M/Server), and yet
        another agent to run jobs from our development CONTROL-M/Server. Has
        anyone every successfully accomplished anything like this?
        Thanks

        -Larry Sabados
        Borders Group Inc

        Control-X email list does not tolerate spam. For more information
        http://s390.8m.com/controlm.html DO NOT Spam this list or any members. To
        Center. Not affiliated with BMC Software.

      • Tom.Westbrook
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 11:48 AM
          Just occurred to me that you can do what you want to do with just one Agent.
          Just add CM Server hostnames separated by ':' (no quotes) to the registry
          key below on the Agent server in question:

          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BMC SOFTWARE\CONTROL-M/Agent\SYSPRM\Permitted
          Servers

          The value would look like "cm-server1:cm-server2:cm-server3". That will
          allow multiple CM Servers to submit jobs to the Agent. There may be negative
          side effects of switching CM Servers a lot like that on Windows boxes, so
          test to see what happens.

          I'm running the 2.24.03 CONTROL-M/Agent on a slew of NT and
          Windows2000 servers. On some servers I would like to have more than
          one Agent (some servers are devlopment but we need a production Agent
          on it to run backups (from out production CONTROL-M/Server), and yet
          another agent to run jobs from our development CONTROL-M/Server. Has
          anyone every successfully accomplished anything like this?
          Thanks

          -Larry Sabados
          Borders Group Inc

          Control-X email list does not tolerate spam. For more information
          http://s390.8m.com/controlm.html DO NOT Spam this list or any members. To
          Center. Not affiliated with BMC Software.

        • Larry Sabados (IT)
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2 11:58 AM
            Unfortunately, that would not work (sharing the Agent) in our environment as we use different Agent to Server port numbers in the production and development environments.  Thanks Anyhow!

            -Larry