Re: [Control-X] Make a Weekly job wait on Prev condition for Daily job

  • Phil Raeihle
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
      Hi Peter,

      Thank you for your response. Could you please elaborate? I am not familiar with using -0001 and I do not see that capability within Control-M WLA 8.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 23, 2013
        The -001 option can be used on mainframe job definitions in place of ODAT, which translates into the order date minus one day based on the job definition you are defining, which then applies to the IN condition you are looking for from the run on that prior day of the prerequisite job.  Much more absolute than trying to make PREV work with two jobs on differing scheduling.  (Can be used as + or - for more than one day as well, +001, -002, etc.  We use this with "maybe" conditions too for a few odd circumstances we have.)

        Unfortunately, though requested years ago, for non-mainframe job definitions the -001 option is not turned on or does not work as shown below (at least in version 7).  It would appear that it was considered at least, BUT WHY IS IT STILL NOT AVAILABLE?  It would sure make things a lot more simple in many cases than having to make multiple job definitions for a unique condition name on only one of them or turning STAT conditions on and off, but alas this has gone on for a long time this way and seems no closer to reality today that I am aware of.  Or is there a setting for this somewhere I do not know about?

        From:        Phil Raeihle <raeihle_phil@...>
        To:        "Control-X@yahoogroups.com" <Control-X@yahoogroups.com>,
        Date:        08/22/2013 03:31 PM
        Sent by:        Control-X@yahoogroups.com

        Hi Peter,

        Thank you for your response. Could you please elaborate? I am not familiar with using -0001 and I do not see that capability within Control-M WLA 8.

        RE: [Control-X] Make a Weekly job wait on Prev condition for Daily job

        Use -0001 instead of PREV.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 23, 2013
          Thanks for the additional info Steve. I didn't check a Mainframe job definition when I tried -0001 because the issue is currently for a Distributed job (I believe an iSeries job...but we use plain OS template). Good to know we can incorporate this on a MF job if needed in the future.

          I did get the same error on the job definition you are showing and was confused by it since -001 does fall w/in the range they are showing in the error.

          Still looking for a solution other than adding a 2nd version of the daily job to pass a special STAT condition for the Saturday weekly job so if anyone else has ideas, open to suggestions. We have this issue come up once or twice a year and would love to have something in place besides adding extra jobs. As I mentioned I believe, this will be for version 8 (currently on 6.4 but moving to Prod in Sept).

          From:        Phil Raeihle <raeihle_phil@...>
          To:        "Control-X@yahoogroups.com" <Control-X@yahoogroups.com>,
          Date:        08/22/2013 03:31 PM

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 23, 2013
            Note you cannot use four digits, just three (ie. -001).  That makes it the same amount of total characters as ODAT (4 positions).  You will not be able to put -0001 in a mainframe definition, just -001.

[...]

            From:
            Phil Raeihle <raeihle_phil@...>
            To:
            "Control-X@yahoogroups.com" <Control-X@yahoogroups.com>,
            Date:
            08/22/2013 03:31 PM
[...]

          • Layek, Chinmoy TCS
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013

              In distributed system you may use %%OWDAY variable in the condition name of daily job.

              Daily job “A” with out-condition condition : JOB-A-%%OWDAY-OK

              In Weekly job:

              In condition:       JOB-A-5-ok

                              Working day notation for Friday in our control-m is 5.

              Thanks & Regards,

              Chinmoy Layek

              Control-M Administrator\Technical Architect

              TCS Midrange Prod Control

              Link for Job Detail:  All Control-M Job Detail

              TATA Consultancy Services

                                     Experience Certainty.    IT Services

                                                                           Business Solutions

                                                                           Outsourcing

              From:        Phil Raeihle <raeihle_phil@...>
              To:        "Control-X@yahoogroups.com" <Control-X@yahoogroups.com>,
              Date:        08/22/2013 03:31 PM

              If you do not wish to receive promotional materials from Ingram Micro via e-mail, please, go tohttp://www.ingrammicro.com/emailmgmt or reply to this message and type unsubscribe in the subject- Ingram Micro Inc. - Corporate Headquarters, 1600 E. St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705This email may contain material that is confidential, and proprietary to Ingram Micro, for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.