RE: [Control-X] Re: Automating removal of old jobs on hold

  • Larry Sabados (IT)
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2010
      Yes, you can script the identification of held jobs by using the ctmpsm.  We do it here in our daily production flows.

      The sample code (Unix) below is used, in a script, by a daily job in CONTROL-M to check for a particular job's status.  The {print $5} is the status field of the returned output from a "ctmpsm -LIST..."

      RESULT=`ctmpsm -LISTAJFTAB $TABLE | grep $JOBNAME | grep $ODATE | awk '{print $5}'`

      (The script is provided the variables for $TABLE and $JOBNAME.)

      We then test the $RESULT value for "Held" and go from there.

      You can make it more generic by executing a ctmpsm -LIST and grep'ing for "Held". Write that to a file and then perform the logic required to then get the ORDERID, of the target jobs,  and then issue

      "ctmpsm -UPDATEAJF <orderid> DELETE"

      -Larry

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2010
        Apologies, I should of mentioned we are on version 6.2....

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2010

          Hi Venu,

          Can you please confirm for me where you heard that BMC was dropping the ctmpsm utility?

          This is a very big statement to make to a global forum.

          I wish to make sure that this did not come from inside BMC, because it is CERTAINLY NOT TRUE (as confirm by Tony who logged a Support Issue about it) – it is CORE to the product!

          (Please note that the only reason I ask is that we are currently running a Project on how we can better work with Customer’s - on providing them Training, etc. - in an effort to ensure environments are available, and to “avoid Issues”. As a free and easy/accessible forum (with history/searching) I personally believe that Control-X@yahoogroups.com this is PERFECT – especially as it is non-BMC and therefore is “not too salesy”, but on reading this post I was concerned, and as you can see this actually resulted in an Issue being created)...

          Cheers, Graeme.

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 2, 2010
            Hi Wayne,

            These steps are same for Control-M version 6.2 too.

            ctm_menu --->
            Option 6---> Parameter Customisation--->
            Option 6---> Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Parameters

            Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Parameters Menu
            Select one of the following options:
            1 - Relay Name :
            2 - Sender Email :
            3 - Port Number : 25
            4 - Sender Friendly Name : CONTROL-M/Server
            5 - Reply-To Email :
            s - Save Parameters
            q - Quit
            Enter option number ---> []:

            Here you can use Option 4.

            Regards,
            Rahul Sehgal

            --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, "Johnson, Wayne" <wjohnson@...> wrote:

            > Apologies, I should of mentioned we are on version 6.2....
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Patrick Hicok
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 2, 2010

              Hi Graeme,

              It was stated in a BMC Webinar last October by a BMC associate.  The comment was that it was possibly going away, not that it definitely what. The person indicated that BMC was considering doing so in future (v,7.0?) releases.

              I hope this helps settle the confusion.

              ~~Pat

              Thank you for confirming with BMC. Even me I am using the utility since 2.2.01 Version. but it is not uncommon pulling out one utility and providing better utility for continuous improvement of the tool.

              Regards
              Venu

              --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, Tony.Wolyniec <tony.wolyniec@...> wrote:

              > I just confirmed with a Development contact that there no plans to remove ctmpsm.
              See Below:

              > My e-mail -
              > Can you let me know if there is any truth to this rumor? We use ctmpsm for
              many troubleshooting steps and also for various scripts. We also use this as a backdoor into Control-M Server if the gateway or EM are unavailable for any reason so we can still hold, force or monitor as well as other functions during outages.

              > Thanks,
              > Tony
              >
              > Their Response -
              >
              > Tony,
              >
              > There is no plan to remove ctmpsm from ctm/server. This tools was designed
              for exactly the same reason as you stated, in case there is a problem with EM connection to the server this utility will allow the administrator to perform most of the operations on a job that can be done from EM GUI. I am not sure how this rumor started.

              > With regards to auditing. Ctmpsm performs all the auditing that is done on
              CTM/Server side, when one puts the job on hold a log entry is inserted into IOALOG on the CTM/Server side only. The ctmlog utility can report on the data in IOALOG. The auditing that is done on the EM level is reported to the EM database so if one runs an audit report on the EM side they will not see activities that are invoked by any of the utilities being executed on the ctm/Server side. For SOX compliance one should report both on the EM side and on CTM/Server side.

            • Venugopal Janumpally
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 2, 2010

                Hi Graeme,

                I agree with you, I felt bit awkward the way it is taken, Will be careful in future.

                I  have attended a conference call about Tool Show in the month of August 2009 which was conducted by BMC. In that there was a discussion on ctmpsm , but nothing was concrete.

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 2, 2010
                  Thanks for your reply Rahul,

                  Below is our ctm version, we dont have an option 6 in the ctm_menu, only 1 to 5.

                  PIM                      PLATFORM    PACKAGE-DATE    INSTALL-DATE    VERSION       INSTALL-TYPE  COMMENTS
                  ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                  ____
                  DRCTV.6.2.01             Solaris10   Sep-04-2005     Dec-16-2009     6.2.01.000    INSTALLATION
                  PACTV.6.2.01.300         Solaris     Feb-01-2007     Dec-16-2009     6.2.01.300    FIXPACK
                  PACTV.6.2.01.305         Solaris     May-17-2007     Dec-16-2009     6.2.01.305    PATCH
                  Regards

                  ------------ --------- --------- --------- -------

                  ____________ _________ _________ __
                  href="mailto:Control-X%40yahoogroups.com">Control-X@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:Control-X@yahoogrou ps.com] On Behalf Of vassi168

                  ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ****

                  ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ****

                  ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ****

                  CitiPower Pty and Powercor Australia Ltd. This email and any file

                  attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the

                  individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received

                  this email in error please tell us immediately by return email and

                  delete the document.

                  ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ****

                  CitiPower Pty and Powercor Australia Ltd. This email and any file
                  attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the
                  individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received
                  this email in error please tell us immediately by return email and
                  delete the document.

                • rahulsehgal305
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 3, 2010
                    Hi Wayne,

                    The option I gave below is for Control-M Server on windows,

                    If you have Control-M Server on Unix/Solaris, then Control-M Uses Default e-mail ID of Solaris Server that is user@..., where user is Control-M profile on that server and Server is the name of Unix Server. for this, you can Set Up Mail Aliases in Solaris
                    for the user running Control-M on Unix/Solaris Server.

                    For More Information on Setting up mail aliases for user in Solaris, check this link:-

                    Setting Up Mail Aliases in .mailrc
                    in
                    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-7612/6jgfmsvqp?a=view

                    Regards,
                    Rahul Sehgal

                  • Johnson, Wayne
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 3, 2010
                      Thanks for your help, I'll discuss with our unix guys.

                      The option I gave below is for Control-M Server on windows,

                      If you have Control-M Server on Unix/Solaris, then Control-M Uses Default e-mail ID of Solaris Server that is user@server. com, where user is Control-M profile on that server and Server is the name of Unix Server. for this, you can Set Up Mail Aliases in Solaris

                      href="mailto:Control-X%40yahoogroups.com">Control-X@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:Control-X@yahoogrou ps.com] On Behalf Of rahulsehgal305

                      To: Control-X@yahoogrou ps.com

                      > Hi Wayne,
                      >
                      > These steps are same for Control-M version
                      6.2 too.

                      > ctm_menu --->
                      > Option 6---> Parameter
                      Customisation- -->
                      > Option 6---> Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
                      Parameters

                      > Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Parameters
                      Menu

                      ------------ --------- --------- --------- -------

                      Select one of the following options:
                      > 1 - Relay Name :
                      > 2 - Sender
                      Email :
                      > 3 - Port Number : 25
                      > 4 - Sender Friendly Name :
                      CONTROL-M/Server
                      > 5 - Reply-To Email :
                      > s - Save
                      Parameters
                      > q - Quit
                      > Enter option number ---> []:
                      >
                      > Here you can use Option 4.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Rahul
                      Sehgal

                      href="mailto:Control-X%40yahoogroups.com">Control-X@yahoogrou ps.com<mailto:Control- X%40yahoogroups. com> [mailto:Control-X@yahoogrou ps.com<mailto:Control- X%40yahoogroups. com>] On Behalf Of vassi168