Re: [Control-X] rerunning a job every hour

  • Cezar Serban
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
      I have successfully created the job and ensured that it is running as I want (cyclic, and running every 60 minutes from the job's end with a default maximum reruns (i.e. unset), but I have some questions:

      Do cyclic jobs still get ordered at the beginning of each new day? If they do, how does Control-M ensure that only one copy of this job is running at the same time? For example, if New day procedure is at 7am, and the cyclic job ran at 5am, and finished at approximately 5:50am, then another cycled again at 6:50am, it would still be running at 7am when the next ODATE version gets ordered in. I assume Control-M would kick off another cycle at 7am for the next ODATE, which means that both jobs would be running at the same time. However, I don't want this to happen.

      Since the job is defined as cyclic, does this mean that it will sta

      On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Robert Stinnett <robert@...> wrote:

      You will need to check the cyclic box, otherwise after one run it’s done.

      Then you need to let it know is it “rerun from job end” or “rerun from beginning”.

      If you need for it to run exactly at the top of the hour (2:00, 3:00, etc.) you are going to need to setup a custom rerun schedule.

      If you want it to stop on failure, then you will set the ON NOTOK DO STOP CYCLIC in the steps tab.

      Hope that helps!

      Robert

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009

        You can use conditions (both IN and OUT) using STAT (in the date column) to control the behavior.

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
          I could not find a good explanation of the STAT condition in the Help manual. Could you tell me more on how I could make the next day's cyclic job wait until the prior day's version has stopped running cycles? Would a PREV condition also work?

          Also, the docs mention that when New day procedure starts, any executing cyclic jobs will be changed to non-cyclic. I assume this ensures that the prior day's job does not keep executing on the next day.

          Thanks,
          -Cezar

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
            You could define a Quantitative Resource to be used for this job.

            --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, Cezar Serban <afroromanian@...> wrote:

            > I have successfully created the job and ensured that it is running as I want
            > (cyclic, and running every 60 minutes from the job's end with a default
            > maximum reruns (i.e. unset), but I have some questions:
            >
            > Do cyclic jobs still get ordered at the beginning of each new day? If they
            > do, how does Control-M ensure that only one copy of this job is running at
            > the same time? For example, if New day procedure is at 7am, and the cyclic
            > job ran at 5am, and finished at approximately 5:50am, then another cycled
            > again at 6:50am, it would still be running at 7am when the next ODATE
            > version gets ordered in. I assume Control-M would kick off another cycle at
            > 7am for the next ODATE, which means that both jobs would be running at the
            > same time. However, I don't want this to happen.
            >

            > Since the job is defined as cyclic, does this mean that it will sta
            >

            > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Robert Stinnett
            > <robert@...>wrote:
            >

            > > You will need to check the cyclic box, otherwise after one run it's done.
            > >

            > > Then you need to let it know is it "rerun from job end" or "rerun from
            > > beginning".
            > >

            > > If you need for it to run exactly at the top of the hour (2:00, 3:00, etc.)
            > > you are going to need to setup a custom rerun schedule.
            > >

            > > If you want it to stop on failure, then you will set the ON NOTOK DO STOP
            > > CYCLIC in the steps tab.
            > >

            > > Hope that helps!
            > >
            > > Robert

          • Cezar Serban
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
              This seems a lot cleaner and faster, thanks !

            • Arnoff, Barbara
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009

                You should also be able to code from and until times to keep a new cycle from starting after 0600.

                You could define a Quantitative Resource to be used for this job.

                --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, Cezar Serban <afroromanian@...> wrote:

                > I have successfully created the job and ensured that it is running as I
                want
                > (cyclic, and running every 60 minutes from the job's end with a default
                > maximum reruns (i.e. unset), but I have some questions:
                >
                > Do cyclic jobs still get ordered at the beginning of each new day? If they
                > do, how does Control-M ensure that only one copy of this job is running at
                > the same time? For example, if New day procedure is at 7am, and the cyclic
                > job ran at 5am, and finished at approximately 5:50am, then another cycled
                > again at 6:50am, it would still be running at 7am when the next ODATE
                > version gets ordered in. I assume Control-M would kick off another cycle
                at
                > 7am for the next ODATE, which means that both jobs would be running at the
                > same time. However, I don't want this to happen.
                >

                > Since the job is defined as cyclic, does this mean that it will sta
                >

                > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Robert Stinnett
                > <robert@...>wrote:
                >

                > > You will need to check the cyclic box, otherwise after one run it's
                done.

                > > Then you need to let it know is it "rerun from job end" or
                "rerun from
                > > beginning".
                > >

                > > If you need for it to run exactly at the top of the hour (2:00, 3:00,
                etc.)
                > > you are going to need to setup a custom rerun schedule.
                > >

                > > If you want it to stop on failure, then you will set the ON NOTOK DO
                STOP
                > > CYCLIC in the steps tab.
                > >

                > > Hope that helps!
                > >
                > > Robert

              • adam.lovick
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                  You could set an Exclusive Control Resource to avoid any collisions. If the MAXWAIT is 0 (reached) the New Day process will unset the cyclic flag if the job is running and the job will then end normally.

                  Adam

                • kanthan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Hi Robert,

                    two things to focus

                    1. In cyclic job change the max wait to 0, so that every day new job will be ordered no overlapping of job runs.
                    2. set resources to exclusive (example XXXX_CYLIC) in the resources tab. Even though the new day job ordered, the job will wait until the previous job completed.

                    This might help you to resolve the problem.

                    Rgds,
                    Kanthan

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2009

                        Same results, different methods.

                        Thanks,

                         Rob Neal

                        AAIT - University of Phoenix / BMCS-CE - Control-M for Distributed Systems

                        Control-M 2nd Level Support

                        Technical Analyst -State Farm Insurance Companies

                        Corporate South N-2