Mainframe Control Resources 5.0

  • George Thorn(Borders Group Inc. )
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
      I don't want to two jobs running at the same time/contentions, how does the control resources Exclusive and Shared work for mainframe?
    • Rob Neal
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009

        Shared allows jobs with a resource name and the shared designation to run at the same time and keeps jobs with the same name and an exclusive from running at the same time. If the job with the resource and the exclusive designation gets in the system first then all the jobs with the shared designation will be held up until the exclusive job is done.

        Thanks,

         Rob Neal

        AAIT - University of Phoenix / BMCS-CE - Control-M for Distributed Systems

        Control-M 2nd Level Support

        Technical Analyst -State Farm Insurance Companies

        Corporate South N-2

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
          So is this set up correct for JOBA?
          JOBA-CON-JOBD E

          Then do the same for JOBD?
          JOBD-CON-JOBA E

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009

                            I like to always say it’s just words, but as you have designed below that won’t work.  JOBA and JOBD have different Control resource names and won’t relate to each other.  So from your examples below, you can alter them maybe like this –

            Jobs A + D can have ---

            JOBA-CON-JOBD E

            Or one job with the E for exclusive and the other with S for shared like this ---

            Job A                                                                                     Job D

            JOBA-CON-JOBD E                                     JOBA-CON-JOBD S

            What we normally do is give our update jobs the exclusive and the read only the shared.  Hope this helps.  Take care, J.O.

            I don't want to two jobs running at the same time/contentions, how does the control resources Exclusive and Shared work for mainframe?

            This e-mail (and any attachments) may contain information that is confidential and/or protected by law. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

          • Dan.Drake@OneAmerica.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
              George, setup JOBA with an Exclusive Control Resource (JOBA or any other name you want to use). Setup JOBD with the exact same resource, see sample below. Because both need the same resource exclusively they will not run together.

              JOBA

              IN       CICS-DOWN            ODAT
              CONTROL  JOBA                 E

              JOBD

              IN       SOME-JOB             ODAT
              CONTROL  JOBA                 E

              Dan Drake
              Operations Analyst, Computer Operations
              American United Life Insurance
              a OneAmerica Company
              P.O.Box 368
              Indianapolis, IN 46206
              (317) 285-1969
              dan.drake@...

              All scheduling questions and requests should be sent to PCD SYS/AUL.

              From:"George Thorn\(Borders Group Inc. \)" <blkstarrr@...>
              To:Control-X@yahoogroups.com
              Date:11/02/2009 10:50 AM
              Sent by:Control-X@yahoogroups.com