RE: [Control-X] Viewpoint and GUI problems with 6.3

  • Fendrick, Gib (Information Technology)
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      I don't know if DNS registration is your problem, but it could be if you are using the EM GUI configured out-of-the-box on the PC.  Your PC must be registering in DNS.  On the AIX system, you can just do an 'nslookup' and 'ping' for your pc name.  If that is unsuccessful, the EM will not be able to open a ViewPoint.  The system where the EM runs must be able to find the PC back by name when it attempts to open a ViewPoint.  (We typically ran into this problem with VPN access, where our PC's would not always get registered in DNS, and also with wireless.  As people wander around, and their IP address would be changing, again DNS was not always in sync.)

      The best solution we have found for this is SLN000000221495 on the BMC knowledge base.  During our standard install of the EM GUI, we now copy in modified config.xml files based on this solution.  (We used this for EM 6.2, and continue to use it for EM 6.3).

      Hope it helps,
      Gib.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        Thanks for this, and Graham, too.

        It seems to have been partly related to DNS. The PCs are in a different domain altogether from the servers so I set everything up to use the FQDN. All the components started up after a bit of reconfiguration. The Desktop ran perfectly again, as did the GUI except, again, for the Viewpoints.

        The thing that seemed to do it was finding that we were using a 64-bit Java implementation, so installed the 32-bit alongside and using that. It's a feature with EM on AIX, I hear.

        The Viewpoint failure showed a thread creation failure on the server and the problem disappeared with the 32-bit Java. I thought that the GUI Server was all C++ so exactly what effect Java might have on it is lost on me.

        Even so, it's looking good now.

        Thanks.

        On 10/1/07, Fendrick, Gib (Information Technology) < gib.fendrick@...> wrote:

        I don't know if DNS registration is your problem, but it could be if you are using the EM GUI configured out-of-the-box on the PC.  Your PC must be registering in DNS.  On the AIX system, you can just do an 'nslookup' and 'ping' for your pc name.  If that is unsuccessful, the EM will not be able to open a ViewPoint.  The system where the EM runs must be able to find the PC back by name when it attempts to open a ViewPoint.  (We typically ran into this problem with VPN access, where our PC's would not always get registered in DNS, and also with wireless.  As people wander around, and their IP address would be changing, again DNS was not always in sync.)

        The best solution we have found for this is on the BMC knowledge base.  During our standard install of the EM GUI, we now copy in modified config.xml files based on this solution.  (We used this for EM 6.2, and continue to use it for EM 6.3).

        --
        Adam Lovick
        mailto:ral@...