Re: report viewpoint dependencies between 2 jobs

  • FrankWaegeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
      Thx for the feedback Andrew

      You 're right we have to detect the problem as soon as possible.
      We run about 90.000 jobs on mvs and 40.000 on distributed side every
      night and we can't run a control job for every job. On distributed
      side we sometimes control the sysout but we don't do this on MVS.

      We don't have Control-B (I take a look at it)

      In the meanwhile I start playing with the neighborhood function.

      Regards,

      Frank

      --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, "Campbell, Andrew"
      <Andrew_Campbell@...> wrote:

      > Frank,
      >

      > It sounds like you would be better off detecting the problem at the
      > time, rather than after the event. Does the problematic job run
      very
      > quickly if it loads too few lines? Is there an error message in the
      > Sysout (or elsewhere) that may indicate a problem? I presume from
      the
      > numbers you quote that this is a mainframe job - if so then can you
      use
      > CONTROL-B (sorry - CONTROL-M/Analyser) or some other data extraction
      > package to verify the data before proceeding further?
      >

      > Anyway - one method to find all the predecessor jobs is with the
      > Neighbourhood option on the Enterprise Manager. Select your
      > controlpoint job on the gui and then right-click to bring up the
      node
      > menu and select Neighbourhood. Then choose Predecessor as the
      Direction
      > and a Radius big enough to reach the problem job, then click Open
      > Viewpoint.
      >

      > Cheers,
      >

      > Andrew
      >

      > ________________________________

      On
      > Behalf Of FrankWaegeman
      > Sent: Tuesday, 27 February 2007 12:36 AM
      > To: Control-X@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Control-X] report viewpoint dependencies between 2 jobs
      >

      > Hi,
      >
      > We have a very complex batchflow. Therefore we've put some
      > controlpoints in our night. A controlpoint is a job in the flow.
      >
      > Sometimes it happens dat a controlpoint detect an error. Then I
      know
      > very fast which job cause the problem (the problemjob) but it takes
      > long time to investigate which jobs are between the problemjob and
      the
      > controljob.
      >
      > - "enhanced why" doesn't help because the jobs between the
      problemjob
      > and the controlepoint are OK (green)
      > - BIM can give me the job that are related to the controlpoint but
      than
      > I'm getting too many jobs.
      >
      > A problemjob is a job that runs fine but there was too few data
      > so the flow continues as normal until the next controlpoint.
      > eg a database load inserts only 1000 lines in stead off 1000000
      lines.

    • Fendrick, Gib (Enterprise Services)
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
        Frank,

        If all you need is an alert if a job runs too quickly, could you use the PostProc on the job and add a shout when Exectime < nnn  or  -nnn%  ?
        It sounds like you have a lot of jobs, but it also sounds like you have BIM.  In your BIM, would the On Event: Job Finished Early  Do Action:  Shout work?  Then you could have one BIM for many jobs, but get the shout for the specific job that finished early.

        Gib

        <Andrew_Campbell@ ...> wrote:

        > Frank,
        >

        > It sounds like you would be better off detecting the problem at the
        > time, rather than after the event. Does the problematic job run
        very
        > quickly if it loads too few lines? Is there an error message in the
        > Sysout (or elsewhere) that may indicate a problem? I presume from
        the
        > numbers you quote that this is a mainframe job - if so then can you
        use
        > CONTROL-B (sorry - CONTROL-M/Analyser) or some other data extraction
        > package to verify the data before proceeding further?
        >

        > Anyway - one method to find all the predecessor jobs is with the
        > Neighbourhood option on the Enterprise Manager. Select your
        > controlpoint job on the gui and then right-click to bring up the
        node
        > menu and select Neighbourhood. Then choose Predecessor as the
        Direction
        > and a Radius big enough to reach the problem job, then click Open
        > Viewpoint.
        >

        > Cheers,
        >

        > Andrew
        >

        > ____________ _________ _________ __

      • FrankWaegeman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2007
          Hi Gib,
          Thanx for your feedback,

          We encounter calculation problems with BIM for the moment.
          When we create a BIM job with about 2000 dependencies, BIM takes a
          lot of CPU, he can't manage it and give incorrect calculations.

          Controlm support advises to install bugfix 4 (6.1.2.400)

          Regards,

          Frank

          --- In Control-X@yahoogroups.com, "Fendrick, Gib \(Enterprise

          X@yahoogroups.com