Kill Process in version 6.1.03

  • George Thorn(Universal Music )
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      Is there a anyone using the "KILL" process on their EM
      and it also kills any threads that the jobs is
      attached to for processing? Is your unix team involved
      to kill any threads? What process are you using to
      kill a job completely?

      George
    • Sidharth Mangal
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        Yeah , we do use the kill option in the EM Version : 6.1.03 and it kills
        the Process ID for that particular job .

        Though to kill the threads you need to go to the server , track the PPID of
        the Job and then track the parent Process of this PPID..
        Go on till you find the Initiator ProcessID and kill it on the server
        using kill -9 ;) , make sure u get the right one though.

        "George
        Thorn\(Universal
        Music \)" To
        <blkstarrr@yahoo. Control-X@yahoogroups.com
        com> cc
        Sent by:
        Control-X@yahoogr Subject
        oups.com [Control-X] Kill Process in version
        6.1.03

        01/08/2006 06:41

        Please respond to
        Control-X

        Is there a anyone using the "KILL" process on their EM
        and it also kills any threads that the jobs is
        attached to for processing? Is your unix team involved
        to kill any threads? What process are you using to
        kill a job completely?

        George
      • Johnson, Wayne
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
          George,

          We us the kill option in the EM Version : 6.1.03 also, and generally find that the result is based on task type.

          If the controlm task type is :

          JOB - I need to kill process only in EM
          COMMAND  - I need to kill process in EM, unix and sometimes in oracle database.

          I dont know if this is a hard and fast rule, but is what i have found to occur.

          In unix I have access to kill the jobs, although Dba required if still running on database .

          enjoy

          Wayne

[...]

          CitiPower Pty and Powercor Australia Ltd. This email and any file
          attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the
          individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received
          this email in error please tell us immediately by return email and
          delete the document.

        • George Thorn(Universal Music )
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
            I will have to open a case with BMC. It appears that
            the Kill function is a generic option that will only
            stop the front processing of a job. If it goes any
            deeper (database, ie.) then the kill function only
            servers as a means to stop it on the EM.

          • Stein Arne Storslett
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 17, 2006
              As I have understood the Control-M kill feature only kills the process
              owned by Control-M, namely the initiating process. Depending on the
              subsequent processes that may not be enough, since killing the parent
              process doesn't always kill the child processes.

              For instance if you are going to kill a ctmfw process always kill that
              process, and not the PID listed in the AJF, which is the PID of the
              initiating process.

              $ps -ef | grep 13414
              ctmag 13414 13413 0 23:21:51 ? 0:00 ctmfw ./file

              $/progs/local/sh/pstree.sh 13414
              root 1 0 0 Sep 18 ? 111:32 init
              root 13399 1 0 23:21:51 ? 0:00 p_ctmag -e /progs/ctmag/ctm
              ctmag 13404 13399 0 23:21:51 ? 0:00 -csh -c tmp/ctm/CM_SH.13399
              >&! /progs/ctmag/ctm/sysout/CMD.LO
              ctmag 13413 13404 0 23:21:51 ? 0:00 /bin/sh -v /tmp/ctm/CM_SH.13399
              ctmag 13414 13413 0 23:21:51 ? 0:00 ctmfw ./file

              ------------------------------
              ctmag 13414 13413 0 23:21:51 ? 0:00 ctmfw ./file

              You see here that the initiating Control-M process is process 13399,
              which starts a shell with the right user, which runs the script, which
              runs the ctmfw command.

              If I'm going to kill the command I kill process 13414, the ctmfw-PID,
              then the parent processes will die. If I kill PID 13399, the p_ctmag
              process, the children might not get a signal to die, and will stick around.

              And mind you! "kill -9" is a last resort. If you use "kill -9" one of
              the things that the child and parent processes _won't_ be notified of
              the death of the dying process, thus creating zombie processes which
              might not disappear until you reboot the server.

              Stein Arne