RE: [ConrailCorp] Re: Uneven 37A's on the Port Road - 8/28/05

  • Joseph Walder
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
      Kris -

      Yeap. If they're going to give you one engine with dynamic brake and one
      without and the train is 10,000+ tons, you really don't have a choice. It
      almost got me going through PRINCE interlocking on Amtrak. If it wasn't for
      the power braking, there would have been trouble once I reached the north
      leg of the wye at PERRY for the Port Road.

      Generally, it boils down to they do whatever they can to get the train out
      of the terminal and they don't care once you're on the line of road because
      the local bosses get to tell Harrisburg that, "Yes sir, the train left our
      yard."

      Talk to you later,

      Joe
    • John C. Durant
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
        ~Joe~
        Been that way since there's been yards and yardmasters:) They used to
        do the same thing with my test cars. (Don't see it must have left!!)
        The other little item that aways ticked me off was constructivly
        Placed.....That was a good one. That little test car could anywhere,
        most likly where you didn't want it:(
        John

        --- In ConrailCorp@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Walder" <jjm1177@m...>
        wrote:
        > Kris -
        >
        > Yeap. If they're going to give you one engine with dynamic brake
        and one
        > without and the train is 10,000+ tons, you really don't have a
        choice. It
        > almost got me going through PRINCE interlocking on Amtrak. If it
        wasn't for
        > the power braking, there would have been trouble once I reached the
        north
        > leg of the wye at PERRY for the Port Road.
        >
        > Generally, it boils down to they do whatever they can to get the
        train out
        > of the terminal and they don't care once you're on the line of road
        because
        > the local bosses get to tell Harrisburg that, "Yes sir, the train
        left our
        > yard."
        >
        > Talk to you later,
        >
        > Joe
      • Joseph Walder
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
          John -

          It's interesting that you mention "your test cars." We had to cut off a
          2-axle test weight car that night at Edgemoor and the last car attached to
          it. Now, if they were thinking that we were going to be able to go track
          speed all of the way up (and note that I didn't see 35 mph until around
          Goldsboro I think it was), then a 30 mph speed restriction doesn't really
          amount to a hill of beans in my book.

          So, we did leave that test weight car at Edgemoor (plus 1) and had a shorter
          train!

          Talk to you later,

          Joe
        • John C. Durant
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
            Joe,

            It was the little things like that, that would drive a scale
            inspector to drink..........alot!!!!!!!