Journal Swaps

  • stormygrl0804
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2012
      Has anyone ever done a Journal Swap?. How was it done?. Does anyone know of a Journal swap going on?. I am not even sure how its done, but saw a short article on it in a craft magazine, but it did little to explain it. I think the idea sounds fun, just wondered your input.
    • Tracey Kazimir-Cree
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2012
        I've been in a few calendar journal swaps, but they are more like round robins. Here's what happens:

        Twelve participants are assembled and all commit to finishing out the year. Near the end of the calendar year, each artist select his/her own calendar journal...the kind that have a week per page spread that you get in the calendar section of barnes and noble or your favorite bookstore. The person running the swap makes a mailing list order and each person starts her book as much or as little as she likes and then sends it to their person by a certain date in December. That artist then has most of January to work in the January section of the book. She then sends it on to the next person, and so on.

        This way, each of the 12 artists gets to work in the book and each artist gets her own book back for December.

        There's also lots of photo sharing and communication throughout the year. It's fun!

        Hope that helps a little,
        Tracey

        On Sep 23, 2012, at 11:41 AM, stormygrl0804 wrote:

        > Has anyone ever done a Journal Swap?. How was it done?. Does anyone know of a Journal swap going on?. I am not even sure how its done, but saw a short article on it in a craft magazine, but it did little to explain it. I think the idea sounds fun, just wondered your input.

      • Nickalli Braaten
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2012
          I've done a few that were a bit less of a commitment than a year. One was three months, three people, three books. I've also done themed ones where each person chooses a book and a theme and then they get passed around. My theme was "what frightens you?" another was "best place I've ever visited". I don't remember the time frame, but that one was quick. Once you got the book it had to leave your hands within a week. :0)

          ~ Nickalli

          --  No trees were killed in the sending of this message.  However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

        • Jeanine
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2012
            Hello,

            I just finished up a journal swap with another group. There were four of us in the swap. (Although I have been in swaps with more people) We kept the book 3 weeks and then moved it on to the next person. It took us about four months to make the round. I enjoy these swaps. The only down side can be the cost of mailing! Postage isn't as cheap as it was when I started swapping.

            Some swaps are shorter. Some of more people. I've even done a one on one swap. Some are themed some not. Like I said I enjoy swapping journals.

            Jeanine

            --- In CompositionArtJournals@yahoogroups.com, "stormygrl0804" <stormygrl0804@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone ever done a Journal Swap?. How was it done?. Does anyone know of a Journal swap going on?. I am not even sure how its done, but saw a short article on it in a craft magazine, but it did little to explain it. I think the idea sounds fun, just wondered your input.

          • Penny
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2012
              I've never had any luck with Journal swaps, at least with ones I've sent out. Of three I only got one back and it had only 3-4 pages done.
              I have participated in a couple of journal swaps started by other people and most of them got their book back, but a number just faded into the ether. I guess someone just wanted to keep them themselves. A shame because the art in them was great. Felt bad for the owner.
              Have had more success with page journals were you have say 6 people in your group and each person makes 6 pages and sends one to the other members so you get at least 5 pages to add to your book. Sort of like a tip-in trade.

              Another trade we did was a group of members got together and traded pages of backgrounds and you got to put what you wanted on them after you recieved them.
              With the page trades you have to pick page size and whether it is portrait or landscape style so when you bind them they all flip correctly.
              You also have to state which side you are going to bind them so they don't put something metal or something on that side.

              I haven't done a swap in ages simply because of bad swappers and the price of postage. I'm in Canada and most of the people in my egroups are in the US. Costs a little over a dollar to send just a letter to the States.
              One egroup I was with we did a lot os page swapping but that group no longer exists. Was fun though.

              Penny D